• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The ceramic panda is in the same place my 5712G is in: wrapped, boxed, and stored away in a safe. Literally never wearing those things again. At this point, they’re too expensive to wear.

I get storing away the 5712, but the Daytona should be worn! First of all, the secondary pricing is not nearly as ridiculous. Second, it is very easy to restore to as new if you ever want to sell it, whereas Nautilus and Aquanaut cases are a nightmare to work on.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But the hands just aren't the same. I sort of see Nakagawa's point. It looks better with the big fat hour hand a la grandfather clock. Patek's just a mall brand anyway.

Fat hands are stupid.

Traditionally, the lighter and thinner the hands, the finer the watch. First of all, you get a thinner watch this way. Second, they put less stress on the movement (yes, for real), which has all sorts of reverberating effects on movement design.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get storing away the 5712, but the Daytona should be worn! First of all, the secondary pricing is not nearly as ridiculous. Second, it is very easy to restore to as new if you ever want to sell it, whereas Nautilus and Aquanaut cases are a nightmare to work on.
And I totally agree with you, if that was my only Daytona. I have a spare, so I just store one away.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fat hands are stupid.

Traditionally, the lighter and thinner the hands, the finer the watch. First of all, you get a thinner watch this way. Second, they put less stress on the movement (yes, for real), which has all sorts of reverberating effects on movement design.
So why do you never talk of Moritz Grossman? Thinnest hands in the industry...

1645829882582.png

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my 90's mall watch yesterday and actually took a picture of it.
View attachment 1758722

My own unholy trinity:
View attachment 1758723

I happened to stop in la labo today while running errands…I didn’t know what I was doing so I panicked and left. Next time I’ll take a gander at that one if I can figure out how the whole cologne thing works

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to my Rolex AD last week and thought I’d share a few interesting tidbits:

—My former contact at the AD is no longer there. I’m sure no one’s reading this but I won’t go into details, though it is kind of an interesting story. I am a bit concerned now that I may not get anything in the future, though I’m guessing I will. I still have another contact at that same AD who I know pretty much as well and I also know about their family. For the record I don’t say that lightly because I genuinely get along with these people and took the former contact out to lunch. Thing is now there is someone new there who I’m concerned will be selling watches all over the place and not locally. I still think my current contact will come through with something over time though.
— I was told by my current contact that I shouldn’t expect more than one watch per year right now. He said that to me twice, but each time he also said that it’s just for right now. I told him that’s completely understandable and that I genuinely appreciate everything they’ve done for me.
—So they do have exhibition watches in the case. Quite an eclectic mix it must be said. I tried on the white gold ceramic Daytona and Oysterflex and I think the Oysterflex ruins it. It sounds like Rolex is relaxed a little bit in the last year or so, but I can’t stand the nonsense that you can’t get that watch on a bracelet because they want them to be distinguishable. On a bracelet I think I would’ve loved it. I also tried on the two-tone Wimbledon dial Datejust with the fluted bezel. I was surprised at how small it looked on wrist, but I’ve largely been wearing my Speedy Tuesday of late. I also tried on the Explorer II. I was waiting for the bracelet on my BLNR to get sized and decided to try it on even though I almost didn’t. I was never considering the Explorer II because I thought it would wear too big, but I’ve completely changed my mind. I thought it looked really good on wrist and definitely did not wear too big. Maybe it’s because I’ve been wearing the Speedmaster a lot lately, but I really liked it.
—As for watches available for purchase, 31mm or a smaller Datejusts. A guy came in while I was talking to my contact and one of the sales girls was helping him. She was fantastic but he didn’t stay very long when he found out there was nothing he could get.
—I inquired about the Everose Rainbow Day-Date price since the Rolex site states price upon request. At first he couldn’t quite find it because he thought it would be the larger size, so I had to tell him to look for it in 36 mm instead. Well it runs for just over $60k, so for me that’s a “no”. I was somewhat surprised though as I expected it to be a little bit closer to the other gold Day-Dates.
— I told the AD that if a Coke is ever released that I want one. I told him that its second on my list after a white dial ceramic Daytona. Well now in the last week I come to see multiple predictions about them potentially doing one, though often do they get those right? I also added the polar Explorer II to the list along with the Cermit.
—They are expanding their Rolex section such that they’re taking over the space next to their shop, so we’ll see if that helps them get any more inventory. And on an interesting sidenote they’re also going to carry Tudor now. I only say that because I told them they should carry Tudor years ago and I’m assuming any Rolex AD that doesn’t already carry Tudor will soon start.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to my Rolex AD last week and thought I’d share a few interesting tidbits:

— I told the AD that if a Coke is ever released that I want one. I told him that its second on my list after a white dial ceramic Daytona. Well now in the last week I come to see multiple predictions about them potentially doing one, though often do they get those right? I also added the polar Explorer II to the list along with the Cermit.

People have been predicting a Coke is coming every single year since the BLNR came out and they've been consistently wrong thus far, no reason to suspect they have any more insight than they usually do

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

—My former contact at the AD is no longer there. I’m sure no one’s reading this but I won’t go into details, though it is kind of an interesting story. I am a bit concerned now that I may not get anything in the future, though I’m guessing I will. I still have another contact at that same AD who I know pretty much as well and I also know about their family. For the record I don’t say that lightly because I genuinely get along with these people and took the former contact out to lunch. Thing is now there is someone new there who I’m concerned will be selling watches all over the place and not locally. I still think my current contact will come through with something over time though.
— I was told by my current contact that I shouldn’t expect more than one watch per year right now. He said that to me twice, but each time he also said that it’s just for right now. I told him that’s completely understandable and that I genuinely appreciate everything they’ve done for me.
—So they do have exhibition watches in the case. Quite an eclectic mix it must be said. I tried on the white gold ceramic Daytona and Oysterflex and I think the Oysterflex ruins it. It sounds like Rolex is relaxed a little bit in the last year or so, but I can’t stand the nonsense that you can’t get that watch on a bracelet because they want them to be distinguishable. On a bracelet I think I would’ve loved it. I also tried on the two-tone Wimbledon dial Datejust with the fluted bezel. I was surprised at how small it looked on wrist, but I’ve largely been wearing my Speedy Tuesday of late. I also tried on the Explorer II. I was waiting for the bracelet on my BLNR to get sized and decided to try it on even though I almost didn’t. I was never considering the Explorer II because I thought it would wear too big, but I’ve completely changed my mind. I thought it looked really good on wrist and definitely did not wear too big. Maybe it’s because I’ve been wearing the Speedmaster a lot lately, but I really liked it.
—As for watches available for purchase, 31mm or a smaller Datejusts. A guy came in while I was talking to my contact and one of the sales girls was helping him. She was fantastic but he didn’t stay very long when he found out there was nothing he could get.
—I inquired about the Everose Rainbow Day-Date price since the Rolex site states price upon request. At first he couldn’t quite find it because he thought it would be the larger size, so I had to tell him to look for it in 36 mm instead. Well it runs for just over $60k, so for me that’s a “no”. I was somewhat surprised though as I expected it to be a little bit closer to the other gold Day-Dates.
—They are expanding their Rolex section such that they’re taking over the space next to their shop, so we’ll see if that helps them get any more inventory. And on an interesting sidenote they’re also going to carry Tudor now. I only say that because I told them they should carry Tudor years ago and I’m assuming any Rolex AD that doesn’t already carry Tudor will soon start.
The AD here in DC I just got my JLC at has a separate Patek room and has a Rolex-only expansion under construction. Every Rolex in their current cases is marked For Exhibition Only and they also carry Tudor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads