• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ricky_for_style

Reaction score
I have the donkey chore cut from this same cloth and the color is pretty true to the images online. If anything, it's a little warmer than it appears against a bright white background. I'd describe it as a kind of ruddy tan...it definitely doesn't read as a dark or even mid-brown. It's definitely not a loud pattern, but it does feel kind of "retro" in a way I don't always love (if I'm being honest), bordering on musty.

While it's certainly a nice jacket, personally I think this is one of the less interesting tweeds that Drake's currently offers. I bought it because I thought it seemed interesting as a chore and I didn't have anything else like it, but it can feel very "Sherlock Holmes" sometimes. I also picked up the Johnston Check melton donkey chore and wound up wearing that probably ten times as much last winter.

Why not consider one of the current season tweeds? Personally I think the patterns are much more interesting. They're only a little more expensive ($100 in the US) and the detailing and construction are much better since they're part of the "tailoring" collection.

This slightly older (and more expensive one) is also very nice:

Just my $0.02!
Just ordered the Houndstooth Donkey Chore Jacket that you mention (finally came back in stock). Should arrive Tuesday! After reading this though, I wonder... I also had my eye on the Johnston Check Melton Wool. Between the two though, you'd definitely recommend the Johnston? Seems more versatile...

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
Just ordered the Houndstooth Donkey Chore Jacket that you mention (finally came back in stock). Should arrive Tuesday! After reading this though, I wonder... I also had my eye on the Johnston Check Melton Wool. Between the two though, you'd definitely recommend the Johnston? Seems more versatile...

I think it really just depends on what you like and how you dress. Despite its specificity, I was initially really drawn to the Houndstooth donkey chore the moment I saw it in the lookbook, so I basically bought it on sight once it was made available. Initially I wasn't as interested in the Johnston check because of the scale of the pattern and its relative boldness (I guess), but my wife actually gave me it to me as a Christmas gift and much to my surprise I ended up wearing it almost nonstop for the rest of the season.

First things first: the donkey chore is a great silhouette, at least on me. In a menswear landscape lately awash with nearly identical chore coats from every brand imaginable (of which the Drake's examples admittedly remain the gold standard), the details of the donkey chore set it apart. I love the oversized flap patch pockets, the functional cuffs, the size of the collar, and the overall proportions of the coat.

I found that the melton versions (including the Johnston Check) just fit me better than the houndstooth, I think mostly because of the robust, almost stiff, nature of the wool, and the slightly roomier cut due to the lack of lining in the melton versions. The houndstooth version features an attractive interior lining, which results in a slightly more snug fit. The shoulders on the houndstooth version aren't as pronounced either, for better or worse.

But back to wearability: my experience to date has been that, while objectively beautiful, the houndstooth is much more specific and thus harder to successfully build an outfit around, so I've worn it a lot less than the Johnston Check. Despite the somewhat bold pattern, the Johnston check has been much easier to work into my wardrobe. But if maximum versatility is what you're after, there's also the solid navy melton version, which comes off a little smarter, and is probably the most versatile of all. PS all this is just a reflection of my own wardrobe and preferences!

I hope this helps. The houndstooth version is very beautiful; I imagine you'll be happy with it. For what it's worth I find it to be the most distinctive version available, and there's something about the design that just feels very true to the spirit of Drake's. Many of my favorite pieces from Drake's make me feel like I stumbled upon some very cool, one-off vintage find, and the houndstooth version is like that: it manages to feel both classic and offbeat, with tons of nice details, and you're unlikely to run into very many other people wearing anything like it. I'm glad I have it and hope to wear it more this winter than I did last year!

Last edited:

ricky_for_style

Reaction score
I think it really just depends on what you like and how you dress. Despite its specificity, I was initially really drawn to the Houndstooth donkey chore the moment I saw it in the lookbook, so I basically bought it on sight once it was made available. Initially I wasn't as interested in the Johnston check because of the scale of the pattern and its relative boldness (I guess), but my wife actually gave me it to me as a Christmas gift and much to my surprise I ended up wearing it almost nonstop for the rest of the season.

First things first: the donkey chore is a great silhouette, at least on me. In a menswear landscape lately awash with nearly identical chore coats from every brand imaginable (of which the Drake's examples admittedly remain the gold standard), the details of the donkey chore set it apart. I love the oversized flap patch pockets, the functional cuffs, the size of the collar, and the overall proportions of the coat.

I found that the melton versions (including the Johnston Check) just fit me better than the houndstooth, I think mostly because of the robust, almost stiff, nature of the wool, and the slightly roomier cut due to the lack of lining in the melton versions. The houndstooth version features an attractive interior lining, which results in a slightly more snug fit. The shoulders on the houndstooth version aren't as pronounced either, for better or worse.

But back to wearability: my experience to date has been that, while objectively beautiful, the houndstooth is much more specific and thus harder to successfully build an outfit around, so I've worn it a lot less than the Johnston Check. Despite the somewhat bold pattern, the Johnston check has been much easier to work into my wardrobe. But if maximum versatility is what you're after, there's also the solid navy melton version, which comes off a little smarter, and is probably the most versatile of all. PS all this is just a reflection of my own wardrobe and preferences!

I hope this helps. The houndstooth version is very beautiful; I imagine you'll be happy with it. For what it's worth I find it to be the most distinctive version available, and there's something about the design that just feels very true to the spirit of Drake's. Many of my favorite pieces from Drake's make me feel like I stumbled upon some very cool, one-off vintage find, and the houndstooth version is like that: it manages to feel both classic and offbeat, with tons of nice details, and you're unlikely to run into very many other people wearing anything like it. I'm glad I have it and hope to wear it more this winter than I did last year!
Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply; extremely helpful! Like you, I've been drawn to it the moment I saw it, so upon the restock, I didn't hesitate. I fluctuate between a 40 and a 42, so hopefully the 42 fits well (I have a 42 in the waxed coverall that fits great, so I'm optimistic). Thanks again!

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Any opinions on the leather Charles loafers? Do they fit true to size? Comfortable to wear?

trg12

Reaction score
Any opinions on the leather Charles loafers? Do they fit true to size? Comfortable to wear?

I have the snuff suede version of the make you linked (not the Mk. 2, but the original one). It may be my foot shape, but I can’t make them work size-wise. I wear a 9 in most UK makers, in the Crosby, and in Alden Barrie, but the Charles in a UK 9 is this odd combination of snugness in the midfoot, but extreme heel slip. Also the heel is somewhat ‘low’, maybe due to them using padding in the heel section.

Apart from my fit issues I like them a lot. They feel really well-made. The leather soles are much softer (less oily) than your common Alden, Weston, or EG sole, but I think that the old standard leather sole supplier for the industry shut down recently, so it maybe a question of time until all makers are back there.

Dancrow

Reaction score

The same as the previous reply. Sizing and fit seems to be really odd. Somehow it works for the mid and front foot. However I can't seem to fix the relentless heel slippage. I have the black ones btw. Tried to tighten up the instep with tongue pads but it also doesn't completely solve the issue. Mine are a size 7 UK all my other loafers are either a 7 or a 6.5 UK. However, I do not feel like I could size down any further in these. I end up never wearing them sadly. They look amazing though...

trg12

Reaction score
The same as the previous reply. Sizing and fit seems to be really odd. Somehow it works for the mid and front foot. However I can't seem to fix the relentless heel slippage. I have the black ones btw. Tried to tighten up the instep with tongue pads but it also doesn't completely solve the issue. Mine are a size 7 UK all my other loafers are either a 7 or a 6.5 UK. However, I do not feel like I could size down any further in these. I end up never wearing them sadly. They look amazing though...

Should add that I’ve also tried all kinds of fixes — various insoles, heel pads, tongue pads, instep inlays etc. 🫣

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Will have to rethink then perhaps.

Another question as this winter I will be getting a raglan overcoat. There are three that I like: the navy virgin wool, the navy donegal, and the grey prince of wales.

I know the navy virgin wool well (if it’s the same as previous iterations) so it’s a lighter in weight coat. Is the new navy donegal thicker? But still doable with business suits?

And anyone here seen and felt the grey PoW in real life?

Thanks!

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Will have to rethink then perhaps.

Another question as this winter I will be getting a raglan overcoat. There are three that I like: the navy virgin wool, the navy donegal, and the grey prince of wales.

I know the navy virgin wool well (if it’s the same as previous iterations) so it’s a lighter in weight coat. Is the new navy donegal thicker? But still doable with business suits?

And anyone here seen and felt the grey PoW in real life?

Thanks!
I tried the navy donegal and it was very spongey, light, and comfortable. I only tired in a 38 which is what I wear in their blazers, and fit well. I was not layering so unsure how much I could fit in it. The donegal was not that noticeable imo in fact I didn’t realize it was a donegal jacket

shycharmer

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful reply; extremely helpful! Like you, I've been drawn to it the moment I saw it, so upon the restock, I didn't hesitate. I fluctuate between a 40 and a 42, so hopefully the 42 fits well (I have a 42 in the waxed coverall that fits great, so I'm optimistic). Thanks again!
Mandatory fit pic when it arrives. I've been hounding after that houndstooth, but I think it would be too bug for me having tried the melton.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience of the Games vs sartorial tweeds? I have a tailored tweed sportcoat from a few years back but I sometimes find it a touch too (for lack of a better word) refined for wearing with denim shirts or jeans. I wonder if I might prefer the Games version for slouchiness but not sure how it translates in the tweed fabrics...

Currently looking at either the Mk. VII brown houndstooth or the VII brown and red PoW

DR2A2H23542-01303-1.jpg
DR2A2H22991-01303-1.jpg

House of Huntington

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey there peoples

We have added a load of knitted hats and scarves to the site at 25% TO 50% oF RRP.

Check them out and see what we have for you and I hope you all have a great weekend
Ethan

Trevallon

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any experience of the Games vs sartorial tweeds? I have a tailored tweed sportcoat from a few years back but I sometimes find it a touch too (for lack of a better word) refined for wearing with denim shirts or jeans. I wonder if I might prefer the Games version for slouchiness but not sure how it translates in the tweed fabrics...

Currently looking at either the Mk. VII brown houndstooth or the VII brown and red PoW

DR2A2H23542-01303-1.jpg
DR2A2H22991-01303-1.jpg
Very interested in this as well!

I have a couple of Games Blazers and love them and have found "my size" in them due to general easier availability.
If there are any tall guys on here who have experience with Drake's tailored line, please chime in.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diannavance8090