• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howfener

Reaction score
Rivet & Hide for Denim
Doherty Evans & Stott stock some classic menswear brands (I haven't visited)
Bionic Seven for some vintage
Yards Store for more modern / streetwear
This Thing of Ours for Tech / Gorpcore

I’ve visited Doherty Evans & Stott a few times. Nice shop, stock, and owners. Worth a visit.

ikoiko

Reaction score
Looking for some advice please.

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the waxed coverall (navy).

Can any owners comment on the length of the arms.

My current drakes jackets are size 42 and the arms fit well (Coggins waxed fishing jacket & Cotton Canvas Chasseur jacket).

I know Barbours waxed jackets have shorter arms. I guess because they are modelled on hunting/working jackets.

For reference I’m 6’3, 173lbs.

I wear a 42 in jackets as well. Coincidentally, I just received a navy coverall today. If you like the arms in the chasseur at 42 you're going to like the arms in the coverall. Not as short as Barbour. Also, the snaps at the cuffs are a little less generous than those of the chasseur, so they taper the arm more noticeably if you choose to close them all the way (I like this).

I don't know if it was the color, or an off day, but today the 42 in navy is so much more flattering on me than the green was when I initially tried it. So, thanks are in order @justinpledger because I'm keeping it this time.

justinpledger

Reaction score
I wear a 42 in jackets as well. Coincidentally, I just received a navy coverall today. If you like the arms in the chasseur at 42 you're going to like the arms in the coverall. Not as short as Barbour. Also, the snaps at the cuffs are a little less generous than those of the chasseur, so they taper the arm more noticeably if you choose to close them all the way (I like this).

I don't know if it was the color, or an off day, but today the 42 in navy is so much more flattering on me than the green was when I initially tried it. So, thanks are in order @justinpledger because I'm keeping it this time.
Yay! I’m so glad that you love it in navy! It’s such an amazing jacket. For me, it’s so unusual (in terms of fit, style and fabric) and beautifully made that it’s one of the few jackets that I really look forward to wearing. This is unusual because it’s such a casual piece but there’s just something about it. I hope you love wearing yours as much as I do mine ☺️

Kid_Icarus

Reaction score
Any info on quality from Brycelands? Haven’t heard much about them
There's a lot about the brand and Ethan Newtown, the founder (you'll probably recognize him when you see him if you've ever so much as skimmed a photo report from Pitti) on Permanent Style, e.g.

Rolf

Reaction score

I have a rayon shirt, jeans, sawtooth shirt and roll neck from them and I’m very happy with both fit and quality.

To get the thread back on track, this new salmon’ish colour in the shetlands is superb.

IMG_5780.jpeg

nachobarro

Reaction score

I got the green coverall coming aswell, thanks to @justinpledger haha

Will upload some pics when it gets here, would love to see how the navy suits you!

justinpledger

Reaction score
There's a lot about the brand and Ethan Newtown, the founder (you'll probably recognize him when you see him if you've ever so much as skimmed a photo report from Pitti) on Permanent Style, e.g.

I've had several bad experiences buying from Bryceland's, including pushy sales techniques. It's a lovely looking shop on a great street though (as others have mentioned). Do make sure that you are 100% certain of whatever you buy there though. If you change your mind, get the piece home and realise you succumbed to a pushy sales technique, or what worked well in the shop doesn't work quite so well now you remember all of the other clothes that you have - they'll only allow an exchange. They really don't like or want to offer a refund.
|
Typically, exchange only is ok but Bryceland's in the UK has a very small selection indeed and their fits are...well, somewhat unique shall we say. The sawtooth western shirts are lovely but very small in the chest and hilariously long in the body and the arms, the chore jackets are voluminous and shrink a lot in the wash, but you can't be sure how much they'll shrink as each one does so differently. The denim shrinks more than the white twill and the the salt and pepper chore becomes tiny after a wash. The easy jacket has enormous lapels and, again, very long arms with a buttoned cuff that just doesn't work (to my mind). The styling is all subjective of course.

I wanted to love Bryceland's but, overall, I haven't had an enjoyable or positive experience with them.

Last edited:

Treble

Reaction score
I've had several bad experiences buying from Bryceland's, including pushy sales techniques. It's a lovely looking shop on a great street though (as others have mentioned). Do make sure that you are 100% certain of whatever you buy there though. If you change your mind, get the piece home and realise you succumbed to a pushy sales technique, or what worked well in the shop doesn't work quite so well now you remember all of the other clothes that you have - they'll only allow an exchange. They really don't like or want to offer a refund.
|
Typically, exchange only is ok but Bryceland's in the UK has a very small selection indeed and their fits are...well, somewhat unique shall we say. The sawtooth western shirts are lovely but very small in the chest and hilariously long in the body and the arms, the chore jackets are voluminous and shrink a lot in the wash, but you can't be sure how much they'll shrink as each one does so differently. The denim shrinks more than the white twill and the the salt and pepper chore becomes tiny after a wash. The easy jacket has enormous lapels and, again, very long arms with a buttoned cuff that just doesn't work (to my mind). The styling is all subjective of course.

I wanted to love Bryceland's but, overall, I haven't had an enjoyable or positive experience with them.

It's standard to only offer an exchange or credit in the UK for in-person purchases, that should be made clear though.

I think Brycelands are an exception in terms of having the very sensible option of washed and unwashed items available for much of their stock. So you can try the washed item and know what it will actually be like in many cases.

justinpledger

Reaction score
It's standard to only offer an exchange or credit in the UK for in-person purchases, that should be made clear though.

I think Brycelands are an exception in terms of having the very sensible option of washed and unwashed items available for much of their stock. So you can try the washed item and know what it will actually be like in many cases.
It’s not that standard. Well, not in my experience. It used to be but hasn’t been in a long time now. Trunk and Clutch Cafe are the only others I can think of that offer only exchanges. Drake’s, Anderson and so on are all far more flexible. But you’re right, regardless of how flexible or not a store chooses to be, legally the policy needs to be made clear at the point of purchase. It isn’t there.

Also, having washed and unwashed options sounds good on paper but isn’t so good in the way that Bryceland’s practices. There’re differences in shrinkage amongst batches of the same chores jackets. I know this from direct experience. The washed white twill they have to try is vastly different to how it actually ends up after a wash.

Anywayyyyy, we are digressing from Drake’s! But I thought it was worth offering my experience as Bryceland’s was recommended.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say other than their sweaters which have a fairly normal fit I would try it on before you buy. Their clothes fit a very high waisted style so even the workwear shirts are too long to be worn casually untucked, and some of the uppers like the skipper polo are too short to be worn with many mid-rise pants.

I've only been in their HK shop and found the service to be very good and items well made, but many items I liked in pics just did not fit on the body based on my style.

Retri

Reaction score

I got quite a few garments from them, the quality is absolutely on point, higher than Drake's on average for sure.

Their stuff is expensive but actually looks like it's worth the hefty price. Take these 2 pieces I personally own, for instance:

These two are about the same price (250 US$), however the latter (which I got at boujeepeople for a fraction of a fraction of the price) look like something I could've easily found at Zara, nothing makes them stand out quality wise and the fabric is this cheap-ass looking, filmsy stretchy corduroy that reminds me of the hands-me downs from the nearest shopping mall that I would wear as a kid, on my way to play soccer in the mud with my buddies.

The former on the other hand are the sturdier pair of shorts I've ever owned (I've had them for 3 or 4 years now), gorgeous and durable fabric that's gotten better with wear, plenty of little sartorial touches and every single seam on them screams quality.

I've only ever dealt with the HK shop though and let me tell ya, their customer service is nothing short of stellar as well.

The easy jacket has enormous lapels and, again, very long arms with a buttoned cuff that just doesn't work (to my mind).

Pretty sure the whole point of the shirt-like cuffs, besides comfort (rolling them up a tad, etc.), is allowing people to get them altered with ease, pretty much any tailor would be able to do that in no time.

Last edited:

kashmir

Reaction score
|

interesting. can you describe these pushy sales techniques if you don't mind? I visited the London branch earlier this year and they were very gracious. the fit of the clothes are definitely very specific, but the chinos have grown to become my no.1 trousers the past 3 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics