• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm.. may have to investigate. They have a London shop.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aj2603 Ascot is a retailer, not direct as purchasing straight from Vass would be. Everyone in the chain has to get their cut, and he has to make a profit, so I'm sure the prices reflect that. How much of a profit I don't know. Is there a reason you're looking to go with him versus going direct?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@aj2603 Ascot is a retailer, not direct as purchasing straight from Vass would be. Everyone in the chain has to get their cut, and he has to make a profit, so I'm sure the prices reflect that. How much of a profit I don't know. Is there a reason you're looking to go with him versus going direct?
There was a time when Vass stopped going direct unless you had been doing it with them before that date. It may be that they don't have so many retailers to support in that way any more.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a time when Vass stopped going direct unless you had been doing it with them before that date. It may be that they don't have so many retailers to support in that way any more.

It certainly used to be that way, but I feel like I've seen a good amount of posts from people just ordering via email. Maybe those were all RTW stock and not MTO.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascot has some of the best and most innovative Vass makeups, both in terms of unique designs (such as the Kaan split toe) and in terms of high end materials (such as ostrich and croc). I have multiple MTO orders through Ascot behind me, as well as a few stock purchases. In fact, my very first Vass purchase was from Ascot through their Ebay store. I have consistently found their customer service to be first rate, including one instance where through no fault of their own, Vass got the sizing wrong on a custom order.

And one more thing: it is not a reasonable expectation that a retailer will sell at the same price as direct from the manufacturer. Ascot pricing has to support not only an on-line sale model with worldwide distribution, but also a posh brick and mortar store (on Savile Row, no less).

Bottom line: if you're not happy with Ascot for whatever cause - reasonable or otherwise - then just purchase your shoes elsewhere. I'll continue to favor excellent retailers like Ascot with my patronage.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascot posted another pair in Horween hatchgrain on their IG two days ago. They source the leather from AA Crack.

Ascot's IG feed is a hugely valuable promotional tool for ALL retailers of Vass shoes, not to mention the manufacturer itself. You're not going to see more quality purchase-inspiring photos of a broad range of shoes and boots anywhere else.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about this for a while. Personally I may not be Ascot’s target clientele, one who perhaps enjoys the seeing retail managers regularly eat at lavish restaurants while charging 30-50% more for the same Vass MTO. Someone has to pay for their lifestyle right??

BUT...I am also GUILTY of using Ascot’s shoe makeups as inspiration for my direct-to-Vass orders. Pretty sure the ”Valway” design was at least popularized by Ascot. So in the name of fairness, i have no room to talk LoL

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with Ascot, but they do provide a very valuable service in that they have actual special models made up. Being able to see made up shoes offers a great opportunity to buy unique shoes or get inspired to create your own based on a few different models. It also creates a buffer between you and Vass, who's communication can be spotty at best sometimes. You will of course, pay for the pleasure of working through Ascot.

As for why they charge so much more than going through Vass directly, there is a simple answer: Vass's wholesale process/ pricing is atrocious. Having had a wholesale account with them for a few years now, I can assure you that the price I pay for wholesale is not much different than what the average customer would pay going direct. There are supposed to be some safeguards in place so Vass doesnt undercut their vendors, but this is enforced inconsistently.

I really like Eva and her father, but they arent overly enthusiastic about wholesale and would rather sell everything they can through their own retail outlets. The benefit to that is obvious from their standpoint, but they arent equipped in my estimation to handle the operational or customer service requirements that come along with it. That makes working through a vendor much more attractive, in spite of the increased costs.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i agree that it is a retailer. but their margins are higher than most other retailers (eg. shop mehra). That was my point.
I am not arguing that they should not ask for a premium price, i love the free market, but what additional service are you providing to command that premium?
IMO, they r not even doing the basics

Meyboom

Reaction score
I don’t think ascot’s clientele really care about the price/the convenience is worth the extra amount.
^^ This. People shopping on Savile Row cant be bothered with mailing to Hungary and patiently waiting for an answer. I agree Ascots service isnt always the best but one must admit they offer something unique. Whether youre prepared to pay premium prices for that is up to you. Im not but then again I dont mind investing some time in buying shoes, on the contrary :)

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think ascot’s clientele really care about the price/the convenience is worth the extra amount.

^^^This is really the end of the discussion honestly.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask a quick question. Has anyone else noticed that the prices on ascot shoes website are generally more than other site. For example they r more than the prices on Vass’s own website and even shop Mehra. Is it me or has anyone else noticed this ? Does anyone know y this is ?

i had sent them an email regarding sizing more than 2 weeks back. still no reply

But if they ignore people who are interested in their shoes, charge more than other retailers and do not provide a customer service and any after sale support :crazy:. These are basics that you have to take care of when running a business.

Well it seems your sole purpose for being here is to ***** about Ascot - their prices are too high! / they didn't return my one single email! / I don't understand their business model! / they aren't even covering the basics!

Did a herd of rampaging Ascots trample your childhood village, or something? :confused:

If Ascot were as contemptibly indifferent and vastly overpriced and wholly incapable of providing customer service as you suggest (based upon one un-returned email, no less) then their business would dry up real quick. It isn't, as best I can tell. Which is just one place in which your perma-rant crashes hard into reality.

By the way - did you bother sending a second bloody email, or maybe make a follow-up phone call? Skoaktiebolaget is pretty much a gold standard outfit when it comes to customer service. They once didn't return an email (once in maybe a hundred - lol) - and I took the radical approach of sending a follow up email and they responded right away. First email got lost in the ether. **** happens. But imagine how damned daft I would sound if that were the only email I ever sent, and I then went on a multi-post rant screeching endlessly about their non-existent customer service? Yep, I'd sound pretty daft all right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads