• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mrlol: Fitzpatrick I think you're referring to. Great brand that's for sure, but it's not where Rezso is heading.

Let's say the German market is by far the largest GY welted shoe market today. I've said too much :)

Germany?. I would have thought of U.K. Interesting thanks.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I need help for makeup of a longwing budapest.

F last okay? Would want them to be versatile with a casual wardrobe.

Color?

1010 model?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I need help for makeup of a longwing budapest.

F last okay? Would want them to be versatile with a casual wardrobe.

Color?

1010 model?

I would personally go for P2, Budapest, or 3636 last, if they work for your feet. That is, if you're going for the chunky longing aesthetic...

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the 1006, 6319 cognac, Dainite sole perhaps to get you through fall and winter easily.

I had a most beautiful pair available not that long agon they had a brown edge sole and metal toe taps however.

The lustre that you get when shining 6319 cognac is unreal. I can still remember opening the box in the Vass store, and I knew I had to have it to sell in the store. The current 6319 cognac is slightly less dark I believe. These shoes went to a forum member actually (@cypi2)

Vass_Budapest_Derby_6319_Cognac_VSB077__43081.1495024797.1280.1280.jpg

Meyboom

Reaction score
Loverly shoes, I'm intrigued by the 1006 in plum museum calf. Have you ever seen those in real life?

cypi2

Reaction score
I'd go with the 1006, 6319 cognac, Dainite sole perhaps to get you through fall and winter easily.

I had a most beautiful pair available not that long agon they had a brown edge sole and metal toe taps however.

The lustre that you get when shining 6319 cognac is unreal. I can still remember opening the box in the Vass store, and I knew I had to have it to sell in the store. The current 6319 cognac is slightly less dark I believe. These shoes went to a forum member actually (@cypi2)

I second @Notch's recommendation. Although I was not completely sure about the leather color when I bought these shoes (but I wanted to try Vass' cognac leather), my doubts evaporated instantly when I opened the box. I can attest that this leather color is nothing short of amazing, and, the F last is my favorite Vass last. I alternate between Saphir cognac and mahogany shoe creams to slowly build up the patina, and, this pair of shoes has quickly become one of my favorite pairs of Vass shoes. Thank you again @Notch!

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Meyboom

Yes I have seen those, and also other shoes made from Plum Museum Calf. In my experience, the plum museum is less mottled than in pictures, there is less contrast. Only when in bright light (outside for example, perhaps in a brightly lit office as well) does the mottling stand out.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Gents, how are your experiences with Vass' suede? Would you compare the quality with Carminas suede? Do you know where it is sourced from?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, how are your experiences with Vass' suede? Would you compare the quality with Carminas suede? Do you know where it is sourced from?

I do not know where each sources from, but I have owned both, and I can say that Vass is noticeably superior.

I seem to recall Carmina switching to CF Stead for a special run of models, which would definitely be an improvement over their previous suede.

Kierrane

Reaction score
Loverly shoes, I'm intrigued by the 1006 in plum museum calf. Have you ever seen those in real life?

From the pair i've owned (Vass), it looks like a very very dark burgundy under low/office lightning. It might even be considered dark brown from a distance.

However, under brighter light/sunlight, the purplish plum colour becomes immediately obvious. As with what Notch said, the mottling effect is not obvious under low light.

I'm not sure if Carmina sources its museum calf from Ilcea as well, but the one or two pairs of museum calf shoes i've seen from them have a far more dramatic mottling effect

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know where from, but for dressy shoes it's more than serviceable imo .. no worse than what I have from other makers like C&J or indeed Carmina & prob softer than
Meermin. I do wish they would offer a more robust + rougher option tho for outdoors. I'm kind of afraid to damage the Vibram Norwegers that I got for biking

Meyboom

Reaction score
From the pair i've owned (Vass), it looks like a very very dark burgundy under low/office lightning. It might even be considered dark brown from a distance.

However, under brighter light/sunlight, the purplish plum colour becomes immediately obvious. As with what Notch said, the mottling effect is not obvious under low light.

I'm not sure if Carmina sources its museum calf from Ilcea as well, but the one or two pairs of museum calf shoes i've seen from them have a far more dramatic mottling effect

Thank you for your input. In fact I really like the subtle mottling effect of the Ilcea museum calf. I have a pair of Vass in gold museum and it's a really nice hue. The Carmina museum leather sometimes is a bit too much for my liking.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
As I understand it, one or two of those here are in the loop regarding Vass, any update on CS via email? I have not yet received an actual response, should I telephone?

Kierrane

Reaction score
As I understand it, one or two of those here are in the loop regarding Vass, any update on CS via email? I have not yet received an actual response, should I telephone?

Regarding my earlier pair, Rezso replied me about a week after I sent my email. I think he still helps out Vass from time to time to settle the old orders.

As to newer emails, i'm not sure if anyone is checking on them, if at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads