• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pictures I've seen of Carmina's split toe looks like two pieces of leather stitched together whereas the Dover looks like the stitching is under the leather. If you can get it Carmina to duplicate it exactly please do let me know.

I've never seen that type of stitching on a Carmina split toe. I would be pleasantly surprised if they offered it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Quick update on the GMTO: we seem to have at least five people on board, including one who's PM'd me but not yet posted here. Also, rather than re-invent the wheel, I've asked the respected Mr Notch of this parish, to investigate. As he speak the lingo and is a long-standing client and vendor for Vass, I'm sure he's the best man for the job.

There are several issues to be considered:

- Design variation: the design is similar to an existing one, bar the altered shape of the facing to match the toe cap. I'm hoping that as the leathers and last are standard and the pattern not too different, they can waive all additional charges and price it as a standard model for us.

- Width fittings: at least one member wants a wide fitting. We don't want to be charged extra for this (we wouldn't be on a standard model, so I'm sure this would be fine)

- VAT: most of us are outside the EEA, some not. Hungarian VAT at 27% would be more than the MTO charge saved, so we need to be sure we can have that removed from the price for those of us outside the EEA.

- Delivery to the US: whether by Vass or Notch, obviously goes against Vass's current policy, but this is a special order so I hope we can work it out.

Mr Notch will investigate these points and revert. I'm happy to help or deal direct if he can't work out the VAT thing from within the EEA, but I'm sure he will find a way. For now, I feel a lean month coming on. :)

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick update on the GMTO: we seem to have at least five people on board, including one who's PM'd me but not yet posted here.  Also, rather than re-invent the wheel, I've asked the respected Mr Notch of this parish, to investigate.  As he speak the lingo and is a long-standing client and vendor for Vass, I'm sure he's the best man for the job.

- Design variation: the design is similar to an existing one, bar the altered shape of the facing to match the toe cap.  I'm hoping that as the leathers and last are standard and the pattern not too different, they can waive all additional charges and price it as a standard model for us.

- Width fittings: at least one member wants a wide fitting.  We don't want to be charged extra for this (we wouldn't be on a standard model, so I'm sure this would be fine)

- VAT: most of us are outside the EEA, some not.  Hungarian VAT at 27% would be more than the MTO charge saved, so we need to be sure we can have that removed from the price for those of us outside the EEA.  

- Delivery to the US: whether by Vass or Notch, obviously goes against Vass's current policy, but this is a special order so I hope we can work it out.

Mr Notch will investigate these points and revert.  I'm happy to help or deal direct if he can't work out the VAT thing from within the EEA, but I'm sure he will find a way.  For now, I feel a lean month coming on. :) 

Very excited! Thank you for taking your time. Looking forward to hear from you/Notch.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and the work put in, Mimo.
Maiden voyage of the gold museums.

CrackedCrab

Reaction score
Thanks Vravio yes the instep is high and there's some extra room up in there. May try tongue pads (but thanks for the warning as I have vass trees)

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick update on the GMTO: we seem to have at least five people on board, including one who's PM'd me but not yet posted here.  Also, rather than re-invent the wheel, I've asked the respected Mr Notch of this parish, to investigate.  As he speak the lingo and is a long-standing client and vendor for Vass, I'm sure he's the best man for the job.

- Design variation: the design is similar to an existing one, bar the altered shape of the facing to match the toe cap.  I'm hoping that as the leathers and last are standard and the pattern not too different, they can waive all additional charges and price it as a standard model for us.

- Width fittings: at least one member wants a wide fitting.  We don't want to be charged extra for this (we wouldn't be on a standard model, so I'm sure this would be fine)

- VAT: most of us are outside the EEA, some not.  Hungarian VAT at 27% would be more than the MTO charge saved, so we need to be sure we can have that removed from the price for those of us outside the EEA.  

Mr Notch will investigate these points and revert.  I'm happy to help or deal direct if he can't work out the VAT thing from within the EEA, but I'm sure he will find a way.  For now, I feel a lean month coming on. :) 

Thank you for the info mimo. Lean month indeed but I like the thought of this shoe a lot. :)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Don't thank me, I haven't done a damn thing apart from try to define where we are for Mr Notch's information. I'm sure he'll come through. If he can't get around the VAT issue, I'll try to sort it out myself.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't thank me, I haven't done a damn thing apart from try to define where we are for Mr Notch's information.  I'm sure he'll come through.  If he can't get around the VAT issue, I'll try to sort it out myself.

If I'm the only one residing in the EU and the VAT-issue can be resolved if I back off from the GMTO, please let me know as this shouldn't stop you others from ordering the specific shoe. I'll just order it as a MTO even id I have to pay a higher price. Just to let you guys know. :)

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm the only one residing in the EU and the VAT-issue can be resolved if I back off from the GMTO, please let me know as this shouldn't stop you others from ordering the specific shoe. I'll just order it as a MTO even id I have to pay a higher price. Just to let you guys know.
smile.gif

What was the VAT issue? Curious as I did a GMTO which also involved a EU resident and there were no issues.

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hi Mimo, I just PM-ed moment ago regarding the detail for the GMTO, please check.
Thanks.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The VAT issue is that if our MTO organiser is inside the EEA, he needs to be VAT-registered to be able to deduct it. That seems to be resolved. I will PM all shortly and stop cluttering the thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics