• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alloy13

Reaction score
My most recent experience from late Feb with calf MTO was also 420 for the shoes, but closer to your experience (505) after all incidentals:
Shoes (420) + Trees (30) + Metal toe taps (20) + FedEx to Canada (35) = 505
Total after VAT deduction however: €410
Let me guess... You used CF?

NiceToHave

Reaction score
The shoes I ordered at €420 where in mid brown suede and a modified Old English model, so not any of the standard RTW that you refer to.

Last time I checked there were different/higher prices on the "italian" lasts. Think 420 is for the non-italian

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not strange at all - the price of €520 they quoted you is correct.
I have my receipts in front of me to prove this.

Vass has a selection of Ready to Wear shoes which they produce on a monthly basis
and sell for €420 ...they are their bread and butter shoes, mainly made on the Peter;
R; F & U last and the style and colour on these are limited to black, brown and cognac
calf and some other colours. If these RTW shoes are out of stock, you can still order
them at the RTW price of €420.....

For the majority of the popular F; K & U last, with varying colours and design prices are
indeed €520 for MTO....

Cordovan High boots are from €950....

I don't think that is correct. The standard price is 420 euro for all shoes based on standard models (basically the ones pictures on their site). You can choose last, leather, single- double or haf-sole, buckle color and so on without any extra cost, even if they are created as an MTO. 520 euro is for when you change the pattern or make a new type of model that they don't have I'm their standard range.

Last time I checked there were different/higher prices on the "italian" lasts. Think 420 is for the non-italian

Italian lasts in standard models are still 420 euro, but they did raise the prices for the other lasts from 390 to 420 as well last year.

Last edited:

NiceToHave

Reaction score
Italian lasts in standard models are still 420 euro, but they did raise the prices for the other lasts from 390 to 420 as well last year.
Ok, didnt know it had changed. This was last summer when I was in Budapest so my info is a bit old :).

Does anyone have an up to date price list? Not sure the one google finds me is the latest (shows different prices standard/italian models)

gusvs

Reaction score

I don't think that is correct. The standard price is 420 euro for all shoes based on standard models (basically the ones pictures on their site). You can choose last, leather, single- double or haf-sole, buckle color and so on without any extra cost, even if they are created as an MTO. 520 euro is for when you change the pattern or make a new type of model that they don't have I'm their standard range.

Well, I asked for Old English Medallion on F last, with trees and rubber toe tip, and was quoted 520 EUR + shipping another 20 EUR. Still strange to me, unless the medallion adds a lot?

Last edited:

striker

Reaction score
I think another source of confusion WRT pricing is that those SF members in the EU paid VAT while those elsewhere were exempted but incurred extra shipping. Also different specifications would incur their respective add on cost. Some types of leather would cost more than others, as would the use of combination leathers

The prices you find googling are at best guidelines. Best to just email them with exactly what you want and state where you intend to have them ship to in order to get the most accurate prices.

mbeebe

Reaction score
DAINITE SOLES
happy.gif
. If you look very closely in the first picture you see that the sole is not leather but rubber.

It's difficult to tell from that angle, but it is U

Wow they really did an unbelievably nice job, those soles look great. Seeing these definitely makes me want to go with Dainite on my next pair.

nmfa

Reaction score
Wow they really did an unbelievably nice job, those soles look great. Seeing these definitely makes me want to go with Dainite on my next pair.

Is it?

I think the stitching is uneven, it is not spaced from the edge in a uniform way and only sewn in the toe part (is the rest glued?). You can also clearly see that the thread is not protected in a groove on the right shoe.

Though I like the shoe!

alloy13

Reaction score
What's the difference between shoes with high instep and shoes with great volume under the vamp? Or are these the same?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What's the difference between shoes with high instep and shoes with great volume under the vamp? Or are these the same?

Not necessarily the same! - You don't want to have too much empty space/volume where it's not needed.

Look at Bestetti's shoes: They have an unbelievably high instep, but the last (and the lasting) is always very tight over the vamp.

alloy13

Reaction score

Not necessarily the same! - You don't want to have too much empty space/volume where it's not needed.

Look at Bestetti's shoes: They have an unbelievably high instep, but the last (and the lasting) is always very tight over the vamp.

That's what I thought too, that there would be a difference.

How does the U last compare with the F in terms of volume under the vamp? I only have the F, which I find has way too much vamp volume despite the perfect instep fit.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
That's what I thought too, that there would be a difference.

How does the U last compare with the F in terms of volume under the vamp? I only have the F, which I find has way too much vamp volume despite the perfect instep fit.
Because the F last is a touch wider than the U last, hence, the extra volume...

What's your definition of "too much" ? Any pictures?
The way you're describing too much, makes out your shoes are 2 sizes too big for you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads