• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alloy13

Reaction score

Because it's not for U....

Kidding aside...Yes U last is good if you have average width feet.
Sleek with a more pronounced descending chisel toe from the K last.

If you know your British sizing - many guys tend to size up half in the Vass U last.
And then again, many will stay the same....

Personally for me, I go up half a size as the pain around my instep/arch
is telling me to.

The U last is of average width?? I always thought it was narrow. Otherwise why the problems with fit?

So the K would be narrower than U?

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
The U last is of average width?? I always thought it was narrow. Otherwise why the problems with fit?

Based on the 10+ pairs of U & K last I have...they are similar in fit - Average.
Where are you getting narrow from. Some of the people who post
on how Vass fits have never owned a pair of Vass shoes.
They still post as if they own 100+ pairs of Vass shoes in all the last.

I feel sorry for Reszo and the numerous Vass Forum Members who has to correct every
muppet that comes along and make assumption about prices; fitting; duty; proxies...
and what not......

The K last is a touch longer than the U last....

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

Based on the 10+ pairs of U & K last I have...they are similar in fit - Average.

I feel sorry for Reszo and the numerous Vass Forum Members who has to correct every
muppet that comes along and make assumption about prices; fitting; duty; proxies...
and what not......

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

and what not......

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

and what not......

Swede66

Reaction score

Based on the 10+ pairs of U & K last I have...they are similar in fit - Average.
Where are you getting narrow from. Some of the people who post
on how Vass fits have never owned a pair of Vass shoes. 
They still post as if they own 100+ pairs of Vass shoes in all the last.

I feel sorry for Reszo and the numerous Vass Forum Members who has to correct every
and what not......

A bit annoyed are you :)?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on the 10+ pairs of U & K last I have...they are similar in fit - Average.
Where are you getting narrow from. Some of the people who post
on how Vass fits have never owned a pair of Vass shoes. 
They still post as if they own 100+ pairs of Vass shoes in all the last.

I feel sorry for Reszo and the numerous Vass Forum Members who has to correct every
and what not......

That's my experience too, U and K are pretty standard length wise and have an average width. My U-last size 44 G-width is pretty much excactly the same length as my F size 44. But what do cause problem for some is that the toe box on U and K lasts are narrow, which means that you might have to go up either half size or one width size to get your toes to fit in the shoe.

striker

Reaction score
J. Ingelvaldsson, Did you find that your heel slips alot when you asked for a U last in a G width? I have normal/ narrowish heels but wide forefoot so I'm afraid going up a width might not workn. I wonder, based on reading the Vass book, if they can accommodate the request to add some leather on the standard U last at the forefoot during lasting so the shoes are wider near the toes but not the heels.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J. Ingelvaldsson, Did you find that your heel slips alot when you asked for a U last in a G width? I have normal/ narrowish heels but wide forefoot so I'm afraid going up a width might not workn. I wonder, based on reading the Vass book, if they can accommodate the request to add some leather on the standard U last at the forefoot during lasting so the shoes are wider near the toes but not the heels. 

No, on my pair in U-last size 44 G I have no heel slippage, but I do in my U 44,5 F-width (solved that with heel pads though).

Notch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess what is special about these shoes I just recevied to give my father for his birthday...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads