• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
I give up on trying to find a cobbler to install metal toe taps on my previous 2 pairs.
Talked to a few already - no dice.

Last one even lectured me for thinking that the shoes were handwelted - as they are in fact "goodyear" welted.

I smiled and walked away. ?
A few of them I asked they looked at me and laughed and said 'toe taps, what are you, French?" I'll tell you what though, most of these cobblers you won't want to leave your shoes with them. 99% of the shoes they handle are Kenneth Cole and once in a while Johnston Murphy or Allen Edmonds.

For example, similar to how the dealer gives you a complimentary car wash and then your paint is ruined for good, a guy like this might feel like giving your shoes a complimentary shoe polish and there you have it, your beautiful patina on your G&G is ruined. Or there will be scuffs everywhere after that etc.

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tbaja27

Reaction score
A few of them I asked they looked at me and laughed and said 'toe taps, what are you, French?" I'll tell you what though, most of these cobblers you won't want to leave your shoes with them. 99% of the shoes they handle are Kenneth Cole and once in a while Johnston Murphy or Allen Edmonds.
Agreed.

I found one who knew exactly what I wanted.
Boston Shoe Repair in the Financial District - if helpful to anyone else.

CWV

Reaction score
HAHA.

Yes - I was told "no one" handwelts shoes anymore.

Ok chief...
The scenario is worst in chile. Last month a local shoe brand contacted me to inform me if they’re products. As I questioned about they’re construction they told me that no one use GYWA anymore save for a few security foot ware.
Then I proceed to name like 10 brands that actually use GYW and the guy said “vary well!” Like if I had passed some kind of test. I’m sure he did not know any of the brands.
What a joke.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give up on trying to find a cobbler to install metal toe taps on my previous 2 pairs.
Talked to a few already - no dice.
Mail in. See below for what I’ve had done at Metro cobbler and Potter and Sons.

73415253-3394-4711-BCF8-9232FE41C136.jpeg

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW After walking on the streets for about 3 hours, here is my P sizing input. My short experience is that P is a tad shorter and a tad narrower overall than P2 . I wear 42.5 uk on P2 for boots with thick shocks. I could not wear P with thick shocks in the current size. I am sure P will strech with some more wear, but might need a bit of extra stretching by myself afterall. Leghtwise is in the "comfortable limit". Once the insole is molded with the form of my footprint, the fit will be snug and totally comfortable. Whish they mounted double leather soles, but I think I will kick them around in cold and harsh weather/terrains. God sake , those vibram tanker rubber outsoles are hard to wear! The Vass TankerShoe.

tbaja27

Reaction score
Are those notched into the sole. From the angle posted it sort of looks like they are sitting on top.
As a reminder Vass does toe taps for $16.
Which is a hell of a deal!
Paid 40$/pair here - which is attributable mostly to differences in labour cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads