• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

willyto

Reaction score
I think we all just need to send our shoes to Bedos to have the heels ripped off. It's the only way to be sure.
I recently had my top lifts on the heels replaced on a pair of old NIB Vass loafers I got a while ago. The rubber basically melted and desintegrated after the first wear(Old rubber doesn't hold up well). If I had known of the possibility I would have told my cobbler to check just out of curiosity. He had to wait for the right leather to copy the top lift and he put the same pattern Vass use with the nails except on the rubber, he doesn't have the machinery to resole soles other than blake stitched shoes but he does good job with little repairs, stitching, vibram protectors and heels including rebuilding a bit of leather if needed.

I've had now a couple of Vass pairs reheeled now. I remember the first pair of black derbies had leather stacks because I started wearing the first layer after the top lift and it was indeed leather.

He just replaced the top lift and you can see it looks very close to the original stack in texture. He also added a few stamps which I guess it's because he wanted a bit of fun added to them.

BZGxIvH.jpg

8BjsnO3.jpg

sforum1

Reaction score
I was stupid and I ordered these right when Vass was changing their website. Since their website was down, I thought they did not have one and that the only way to order Vass shoes was through a middleman more or less like Enzo.

P.S. This was before I started seriously using styleforum to help prevent noob moves like this one.
And the next bigger question is why was Ascot selling them for $1100? There is no honesty in this world, that's for sure. I know there will be the usual people who will jump in and say stop complaining about prices. They are what they are and anyone can sell at whatever price they want and if you don't like it move on. OK. Save it. Somehow I have a problem when someone pays $300-350 for something and turns around and sells it for $1100. But again, that's just me. And good thing you shared that with us so that I know to never give my business to them even if they were the last retailer left on the planet or even if somehow they were the cheapest.

Last edited:

Xune

Reaction score
anyone can sell at whatever price they want and if you don't like it move on.
Anyone can also comment on pricing practices and if someone doesn't like the comments - well, they can just move on, can't they?

I've checked my pair of Vass and heel stack looks kinda similar to the black ones from earlier post. Received mine in June 2018.

jayteee

Reaction score
OK DFWII chimed in, and he says it's not clear from the photo that ajd578 posted, but at least this pair looks like real leather heel stacks. So back where we started, most likely leather heel stacks, but YMMV...

View attachment 1424609
My pairs have the same layers as the photo. The "white" portion appears to be leather, since it comes away in leathery filaments. The three lower "brown" layers appear to be something less durable, maybe glued paper. I stuck a sharp instrument in it and there wasn't much resistance.

sforum1

Reaction score
When comparing older pairs with newer ones, has anyone else also noticed like I did that the older pair has a 1" heel while the new one 1.25"+?

So higher heel, more material so let's find a way to keep the cost the same given that we are not raising prices? Seriously, had it not been for this video, noone would have known. I was comparing my new and old pairs and the new one is a solid, well made and extremely high-quality pair. To be able to get a pair like this for $400 and with these incredible trees included is impressive. That being said, it's good for them to know that we know.

Another thing I did I put both on and walked in them and the sound you get from each is different. Somehow the new heel does not produce that characteristic sound leather soles produce. Or at least not as satisfying to the ear.

I guess they never thought that someone would be taking apart a brand new pair.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Once the top layers are worn the paperboard needs to be removed and replaced with a real thing. This is my guess, as I have never worn the heels on any of my shoes to that point.
I was stupid and I ordered these right when Vass was changing their website. Since their website was down, I thought they did not have one and that the only way to order Vass shoes was through a middleman more or less like Enzo.

P.S. This was before I started seriously using styleforum to help prevent noob moves like this one.
For what it is worth: Vass used to be sold at Louis of Boston & Bergdorf G for well over what you have paid. The fact that they are in a panic mode because of order cancellations and fire-selling everything is in no way reflection on the value of their shoes. I still think that HW Vass worth more than any GYW mass produced shoes that sell for 3 to 6 times what Vass is going for these days.
We live in a strange times when GYW Chinese, Vietnamese or Indonesian made shoes are selling for double or triple of Vass without offering better leather, better construction or arguably better style.
...going to Vass site to see if anything is left in my size......:)

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the next bigger question is why was Ascot selling them for $1100? There is no honesty in this world, that's for sure. I know there will be the usual people who will jump in and say stop complaining about prices. They are what they are and anyone can sell at whatever price they want and if you don't like it move on. OK. Save it. Somehow I have a problem when someone pays $300-350 for something and turns around and sells it for $1100. But again, that's just me. And good thing you shared that with us so that I know to never give my business to them even if they were the last retailer left on the planet or even if somehow they were the cheapest.
In there (very weak) defense, Ascot offers a fit guarantee on their MTM pairs. They specifically told me that if they do not fit they will remake them. I also believe that the leather is better or if it is the same that they use the best parts for their shoes. But ultimately I agree with you, never buying from them again.
You didn't mention what size they are. But do make a listing in Buy & Sell - it doesn't cost anything.
Sorry, they are 44 with the instep lowered. I have an offer for $460 already, and I wanted to check here to see if anyone wanted to top that.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it’s better leather. You’re talking about a company that asks a huge additional charge for horween hatchgrain on their split toe derby...that additional charge is about the same as an entire pair of shoes from sons of Henry in the same leather....

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it’s better leather. You’re talking about a company that asks a huge additional charge for horween hatchgrain on their split toe derby...that additional charge is about the same as an entire pair of shoes from sons of Henry in the same leather....
yeah, they were vague about that, but the leather is nice.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall reading a post about bad fitting on Ascot MTM and Ascot refused to resolve..

Just not long ago...
That may have been me. I had to pressure them for a month and a half, before I finally got a response. It then took another month to get them to honor their claim to a remake. This is the remake. It took over 100 emails, and 5 months to get shoes that are very nice, overpriced, and still don't fit.

LThomsen

Reaction score
That's unfortunate. Send them a bill for the many hours you spent trying to get them to fulfill their responsibility ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads