• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

While esthetically very nice, It seems to me that the shape of the tip ( semisquare wide peak?) of your insole is perfect for a very, very comfortable wear.  Just my impression. I wonder if you shape them that way taking into account this reason?. 

In theory, a good bespoke shoemaker never does anything without reason. :D

BTW...for the curious...I mentioned when I first posted these shoes that I was going to the big city to try on my first bespoke suit. Well, I have a crappy cell phone photo of the result.

I know that this probably isn't perfect and some alterations are even now being made, but this suit probably fits me better than any garment I have or ever have had. And that's saying a blt considering the pub growler I have tucked in my abdomen, the two deflated hot water bottles I have for a butt and my Quasimodo back and shoulders.

The suit is a beautiful fine lightweight wool in a deep dark heather (brown with a touch of dark, dark green) with a rust windowpane. I wouldn't be surprised of the jacket wasn't a bit long by today's standards but I think it's perfect for me. It's probably not to everyone's liking in terms of style but it's just mine--I love a three button classic suit with almost a early 20th century look--think Downton Abby or Boardwalk Empire. I don't think it will ever go totally out of style. [I've seen numerous lithographs from the Belle Epoque era and jackets did seem a bit longer than today.]
Anyway not bragging, just feeling pretty good about it.

Tada...!!!

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the kind words...esp. about the shoes, but also about the suit.

:cheers:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Lovely suit - yes a touch long by the modern taste, but part of that is the phone pic angle, no doubt. And definitely needs a touch off the sleeve length. But that's a magnificent looking bit of cloth - congratulations!

Also, redundant as it might sound, my eyes are very much drawn to a beautiful pair of shoes. Taking them mercifully far from your shirt and tie. ;)

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lovely suit - yes a touch long by the modern taste, but part of that is the phone pic angle, no doubt.  And definitely needs a touch off the sleeve length.  But that's a magnificent looking bit of cloth - congratulations!

Also, redundant as it might sound, my eyes are very much drawn to a beautiful pair of shoes.  Taking them mercifully far from your shirt and tie. ;)

Thanks...I hammered the tailor about not getting the sleeves too short. I really hate it when I lift my arm up and the whole damn cuff slips out of the jacket sleeve. Better too long than too short, IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean about the shirt and tie--the tie is a hand screened silk from Taliesin (Frank LLoyd Wright) and the shirt is a cheap department store dress shirt from Bangladesh.

I'm thinking of a dark solid but I don't know what colour would look good. Since the suit has this subtle green cast, I'm thinking maybe a dark burgundy...more brown than red but not brown if you follow.

I might have said...this is my first bespoke suit and the only one I currently own--all the rest, years ago were OTR and really bad.

But I've always said that a man should have one good suit in his lifetime that he can get buried in and one kilt in the clan tartan to pass on....or vice versa.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I think a burgundy neat would look splendid, perhaps an ancient madder? But I'd go for a plain shirt rather than contrast collar - too "city banker" for the country tones of the suit. Light blue would set off the burgundy tie beautifully. White would be fresh and safe - not SF's favourite, but who cares?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think a burgundy neat would look splendid, perhaps an ancient madder?  But I'd go for a plain shirt rather than contrast collar - too "city banker" for the country tones of the suit.  Light blue would set off the burgundy tie beautifully.  White would be fresh and safe - not SF's favourite, but who cares?  

Not quite sure what an ancient madder would look like but it's the shirt I'm talking about replacing...I love the tie, although I do have a silk regimental tie for veteran's aid, and would be happy wit that too.

It's funny about the white contrasting collar though esp. in the historical context. If I'm shooting for a touch of that La Belle Epoch look, they all would have worn shirts with separate starched linen collars. In fact I have a number of shirts that are just band collar shirts and I love them--my favourite is a black silk with pin pleats---but I've gotten to fat or too bent over for the bands on the shirts to fit me comfortably And the collars are worse actually.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tada indeed!

Would love to see a close up of the cloth one day, if possible?

Very good :)

I replaced the image with a better one. If you enlarge it to "original size" and then magnify it, you might be able to get a pretty good sense of the fabric.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit looks good, trouser falls very nicely. I never thought a true 3 button would look good on short people (why I don't have real 3 button), but it does on you.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies to everyone for side-tracking the thread...

As a way of returning to your regular programming, several people have remarked on the shoes I'm wearing in the photo of the suit, so even though they've already been posted, here they are again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads