• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have not used it, but have heard rave reviews, should just go ahead and give it a shot.
Just curious I'm quite happy with Saphir Creme Universelle, have you used this one?
thx

I haven't tried Saphir creme universelle, although I've heard it works well. I've used renovateur and GlenKaren and like both as well. Bick4 is great b/c it gets absorbed easily, moisturizes very well, does not have a strong odor, and does not leave a greasy residue. It also works very well on shell and croc/alligator.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Templeman used to work as lastmaker and fitter at John Lobb (London). Heard good things about him as such. I presume he's using freelancers for the making, but not sure, he might do that part as well nowadays.

Actually I am interested in Templeman as now. Can anyone comment his finishes?

Because of the spoil's of Japanese bespoke, I don't think I will be happy with JLSJ type sole and welt finish

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried Saphir creme universelle, although I've heard it works well. I've used renovateur and GlenKaren and like both as well. Bick4 is great b/c it gets absorbed easily, moisturizes very well, does not have a strong odor, and does not leave a greasy residue. It also works very well on shell and croc/alligator.
I have been using SCU for many, many years. It is a very good product (less waxy than reno) as a conditioner ( mostly what I use). Althought since I started to read in SF and discovered Lexol and B4, I shifted to them both (they are very similar products, IMO). I continue to use SCU for my edge soles and outsoles stiching cause of the wax components. My recomendation is just taste it and see. Hope it helps.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, but I feel all the same properties applies to the Universelle as well.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Templeman:" We don’t have anything to compare to the Compagnons du Devoir, we don’t celebrate our Meilleur Ouvriers in the same way, and it’s a pity".

French people is really proud of their craftmanship and traditions in the manufacture of products and they recognize their merits and pay the price; best Chocolatier, Pâstisserie, Boulangerie, Ouvriers, etc. I wish we could support those artisans with the reconognition they deserve here in Spain in the same way french do it. I agree, it is a pity. Best shoes for them are french made and here are british made (although we have a large and excellent shoe industrie and shoe materials and components). I just know of 3 bespoke shoemakers here and one comes from Argentina. The problem: no discerning consumers in this country.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I feel all the same properties applies to the Universelle as well.
It is possible, all 3 are good stuff. Although I believe SCU is more waxy (that is way I use it for my edge outsoles and stiching), sticky, and smelly. I am not clear about wich one darkens more the shoes (I belive the less is B4). I like how Lexol gets into the leather and how it performs during application. It requieres less product than B4, IMO. Renapur is the other conditioner I will have to test.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cross-posted with Japanese shoe thread:

LL

Bespoke shoes by Marquess (Shoji and Yuriko Kawaguchi)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads