• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

totolino85

Reaction score
hello everyone

I'm about to start a job that requires me to wear a suit again so I thought I get your views on 2 suits that I bought some time ago but haven't worn for a while. This one is a charcoal TM Lewin suit, I will shortly post pics of a navy pinstripe Suitsupply one.

With this one I always felt the trousers didn't quite fit me right but I'm lacking the knowledge to say what exactly it is

Anything worth changing / having altered before I start the job?
example,

as much as I'd like the trousairs to be shorter if the suit were to be mine, in here they look just fine .

Ps apart from the "trousairs issue" and the darkness of the pics, you look nicer in the suitsupply one IMHO, if you would have to buy other go for Suitsupply anytime
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

bant

Reaction score
recently got these trousers which are "riding up" a bit. in technical terms what is going on here and how can it be fixed?

robbrechter

Reaction score
Reposting with better (hopefully?) pictures. New MTM shirt from ModernTailor and need critique since I know it doesn't fit quite right.

Current concerns:
  1. Shoulders feel constricting and uncomfortable. What measurement do I change for that-- shoulder? yoke? (including numerical measurements I entered for shirt)
  2. The back seems a bit long, although maybe not?
  3. The left side of my collar won't stay down and the tab button underneath keeps showing. Is that an issue with the collar or do I just need to iron it?
  4. Sleeves look overly contorted with wrinkles, although I know the length is about right.
  5. Neck feels normal but is super difficult to button, but I'm afraid I shouldn't increase the size.

And of course I'll take any feedback on clothes, but definitely need help with shirt so I can alter measurements to get my next shirt more comfortable.

Saigonesque

Reaction score
Just got a shirt from Kent Wang: can I get a fit check? Specifically, how are those sleeves looking?

With the cuff undone

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

MrChris

Reaction score
I'm not looking to alter the jacket below, but rather to ask for opinions regarding adjustments to make for future comissions (MTM).
My own thoughts:

1. Perhaps lowering the buttoning point slightly
2. Letting the waist out slightly

Unbuttoned:

Opinions welcomed!

buckshot86

Reaction score
The jacket is far too short...Too tight in the chest as well. Also looks tight over the shoulders and across the upper back.
Because of the way your pants are falling in the back it looks even worse.
There's nothing that can be done to fix it. Best you can do is wear it with well fitting dark jeans.

*sigh*
All right thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
hello everyone

I'm about to start a job that requires me to wear a suit again so I thought I get your views on 2 suits that I bought some time ago but haven't worn for a while. This one is a charcoal TM Lewin suit, I will shortly post pics of a navy pinstripe Suitsupply one.

With this one I always felt the trousers didn't quite fit me right but I'm lacking the knowledge to say what exactly it is

Anything worth changing / having altered before I start the job?
I apologize for the late reply but I was gone for a week that didn't involve working...
Anyway, I would get the back rise lowered. With a flat seat, the back rise being too long will almost always be a problem.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
and here's the one from Suitsupply. would you suggest any alterations?

Again, I would check the fit of the seat, the back rise, and the stride looks a little full. Too long IMHO as well.
Jacket sleeves are short.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on this trial jacket from Kent Wang? This is the beginning of the made-to-measure process; I was sent this trial jacket, and I'll have a MTM suit made based off adjustments to fit of the trial jacket (and pants of course too, but still waiting to receive those.) First set taken during the day with natural light, second set under artificial light. There's lots of wrinkling since the jacket is right out of the shipping box and unpressed.

Set 1:

Set 2:

Overall, I think it's a decent fit and I'm expecting good results with some minor adjustments to the final MTM product. Obviously sleeves need to be shortened a bit (and yes, my right arm is longer than my left). I'd appreciate any feedback from the tailor's in this thread on anything else that could be adjusted.
I think the jacket fits well but it could use a little more room at the back part of the shoulder blades. The jacket front and back waist can be suppressed, as well. Looks pretty clean otherwise.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Thank you tailors for any critique that you can provide for me. I recently started a job, and I just like Flyswatter got a suit from Kent Wang. This is a trial suit in which I need to provide the corrections for the final product. Previously before visiting Styleforum, I would have assumed everything looked good. After check out this thread, I realize there are few parts of the suit that do not fit me perfectly.

I was hoping that any of you would help me identify the parts that do not fit correctly, and what I need to tell my tailor and then Kent to get the final suit as close to perfect as possible.

First off, I have to say the suit is an amazing quality for the price. Please disregard the shirt. It is a cheap RTW that does not fit properly. My test shirt from Luxire should be coming soon!

In the first picture, I can see that sleeves look a bit long. (Sorry about the no shoes!)

The second picture I can see collar gaping near the chest area. What should I do correct this issue? Also it seems like the button point shows the suit to be too tight. Is that due to the chest material not being enough? I feel that I should take it in for a better shape for the suit.

Left side seems pretty good. There seems to be some wrinkles on the triceps. Does that need to be altered?

In this picture, it seems the right arm's pitch needs to be adjust to go more left of the picture.

In this picture, I see a lot of wrinkles, but I do not know how to get rid of them.

This picture shows the neck rolls better. Does the collar needed to be elevated?

A better picture of the collar gap and lapels gap. What needs to be done to fix this?

The pants also seem to be pulling.

I was thinking to better balance the suit the button point needs to be decreased by a inch and waist taken in a little. I still want to keep the flair of the bottom of skirt. Does that look better or should I keep it as is? If it looks better, how should I ask so the skirt still flairs but the waist and button point are altered?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thank you all for your time and expertise. I really appreciate any critique.
It's really hard to tell what's going on with this suit from these pics. It looks like you've done some reading which is good but please go back to the very first post in the thread and consider abiding by the photo posting guidelines. You've got some fairly complicated issues going on with this suit and the pics need to be as clear as day...without you posing or moving your limbs around. Please wear shoes and a different dress shirt, too.
There are some things that appear to be pretty obvious to me, but the fit of the dress shirt combined with not great pics makes it hard to accurately comment.

Tony Stark

Reaction score
[originally posted this in the wrong place - I see now that the photos aren't exactly in accordance with the guidance in the first post, so if nothing can be gleaned from these, let me know and I'll try to get them retaken tonight]
Hello all,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while and learning.

I'm tall and skinny, so I've never been able to find OTR shirts that fit. Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit are the closest to serviceable, and they still present all sorts of problems. Beyond that, I'm not a fan of their collars and I don't like pockets on my shirts.

I've tried moderntailor a couple times, and I've gotten my measurements close to good with them, but I liked the fabrics and options on propercloth.com so I thought I'd give them a shot. I particularly like the ability to customize the collar sizing, shift it back or forward, and the guarantee.

I copied my measurements beIow the photos. I took these measurements based off of the videos on Proper Cloth's site, and then I washed and dried the shirt per their instructions (since they say that they add material for shrinkage). Things I think I need to change are:

Collar: -.25"
Sleeve: +1"
Yoke: +1" total (.5" per side)
Chest and Hip: ??

This shirt, beside being a bit tight (even though I like them trimmer), has the same affliction that just about every shirt I try on does. From the front, it looks like it's hugging my body. From the side and back, you can see a bunch of excess fabric at my waist level. BB ESF does this even worse than others. I end up with the shirt flat across my stomach and a parachute in back. I'm not a fan of the look of darts on men's clothing, so I'd like to deal with this through other means if possible. I really despise excess fabric in the waist area and bunching up above the belt line though, so if darts are the only way, I guess I'll have to try that route.

Have at it. I know it looks bad. They'll remake it for me for free since it's my first order, so please help me fix it.

robbrechter

Reaction score
My original shirts were getting tight (fatherhood/adulthood) and I added an inch or so to them, but obviously not enough. Selfies posted on the internet really put weight gain into perspective. I'm hoping that some of the waist bulging effect is from the pants being tight, since suits are hopefully getting replaced in the near future anyway. Or at least I'll keep that in the front of my mind to prevent myself from feeling too disheartened.

But anyway, even with expanding out the stomach and chest (1", 2", ??), still concerned about the shoulders/yoke and how to fix what feels like sleeve twisting.

Either way, appreciate your feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads