• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hey guys, what do you think if i shorten the jacket by 0.5' which is illustrated in the right side of the picture?Would that balance it out with my thin frame or would it be too short?And would love to know how to address bunching at the back of the sleeves.Appreciate the comments.Sorry for the crappy pictures though.
hard to judge the length but both lengths might work for you. The longer looks more conventional and the shorter looks a bit more current with the trend to shorter jackets. Which way to go depends on the environment you wear this in and how long you want to wear the suit. Conservative office setting, go longer. These sleeves look like they may be set a bit to the front, so a little rotation would help but the main thing is how the sleeve head is shaped to match the armhole. Takes a bit of engineering to recut the sleeve.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
GORPOMON
since the legs were tapered the tailor had to open the crotch to do the job properly.
from your description, the threads are from the old seam that he forgot to clear off.
if thats so then there is no problem.

leftwing37

Reaction score
Found a jacket at a really good price, the catch it is a 46R and I am a 42/40L consensus? Would I be able to have it alter and still look good thanks!

The Suit Guy

Reaction score

Found a jacket at a really good price, the catch it is a 46R and I am a 42/40L consensus? Would I be able to have it alter and still look good thanks!

Honestly, I don't think you could pull off the alterations for such a dramatic change. One size is probably the most you want to go - plus, the fees for the alterations would wipe out any "savings" from the good deal.

mlongano

Reaction score
Photography Tip:

Get your cameras off of "Auto Mode". Use the spot meter to measure the light of the suit. In this case it doesn't matter if the surroundings are "washed out"...all that matters is that the fabric of the suit (usually darker than the surroundings) comes out correctly exposed.

bigbucky

Reaction score

the catch it is a 46R and I am a 42/40L

ZOMG! He's a tailor not a magician

Edit: but seriously, keep checking B&S and the bay. All the same stuff comes up over and over. You'll find something in your size and it will be much easier to tailor it to fit you well.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

sorry but your way out in left field. just forget it.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please give me your opinions, esteemed tailors

so my suit jackets are too short with a bit of a flare at the bottom
it's my fault because at my fitting, i did tell the tailor to make the jacket shorter than he had originally made... i guess i made it too short
rps20110927_143407.jpg

rps20110927_143339.jpg

rps20111007_100539.jpg

rps20111007_100628.jpg

rps20111007_100746.jpg
so ...
i'm sure i could just ask my tailor to make the jacket 1" longer for the next order without having to go and get fitted again...
(1" should be good, right? maybe 3/4"?)
but in terms of reducing the flare/bell bottoming of the jacket ... do you think it is something the tailor can change with my existing pattern without me having to go and get fitted?

also, is it just the length of the jacket or do i actually need the button to be moved as well?
i do have a long torso ... and i don't really want to make the rise of the pants much higher than it is right now....
do you see a big problem with the proportions there?

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is wrong with my pants? They have been to the tailor a total of 4x I believe.

What can I ask for next time for a better fit?

FYI, the hem is 7.75" +/-

I wish my pants was more "straight" and draped over my shoes better.

Thoughts? Could it be the shoe itself? Laces in the way? Thicker fabrics drape better than thinner?

Also, photo was taken after a long first day @ work...

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is wrong with my pants? They have been to the tailor a total of 4x I believe.

What can I ask for next time for a better fit?

FYI, the hem is 7.75" +/-

I wish my pants was more "straight" and draped over my shoes better.

Thoughts? Could it be the shoe itself? Laces in the way? Thicker fabrics drape better than thinner?

Also, photo was taken after a long first day @ work...

Trouser opening is too narrow to achieve what you want.

Gorpomon

Reaction score
I saw replies from A Tailor and Despos, thank you both for taking the time to answer my question, even though I'm new here, and my webcam photos (only camera I have!) weren't the best. I truly appreciate it.

Regards,
Ron

svisj

Reaction score
First post ever, so I'm sorry if I'm breaking any etiquette or rules.

Anyhow, just bought new Corneliani suit on sale, and I plan to take it to the tailor for some adjustments. I have some ideas myself, but would like to get some feedback from someone who actually has a clue.

I hope the pictures are satisfactory, and if not, please let me know and i will gear up and take some new ones.

Coburg

Reaction score

Looks pretty much OK. Don't know how close it fits around the waist of the jacket but if it is not too snug some shape to the waist would look better. Ask the tailor about the width of the sleeve opening. Hard to judge from internet pics.

Thanks for the feedback Despos. I'd like more shape in the waist too and will give some direction next time. The back looks quite wrinkled to me, but he did have to alter it so drastically there may have been little option. I guess if he did an alright job with a garment that didn't fit me well at all to start with, he may do even better with something that fits me much closer off the rack.

If anyone else has any thoughts, they are quite welcome!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads