• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Esteemed tailors, can you expound on the cause of this phenomenon of the fronts of the coat "hovering" away from the front of the body? I have a couple of coats which generally fit elsewhere, but do this same thing which is only apparent in the side view.

Sorry- missed this question. It usually has to do with a bit of a belly and the coat not being cut to cover it. There is a manipulation that can be done to the pattern before cutting; it would be a beast to do on a finished garment, not really worth the effort. Some MTM operations have an alteration for this.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the tailor knows and is too polite to tell the customer to mind his own business...

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey guys, what do you think if i shorten the jacket by 0.5' which is illustrated in the right side of the picture?Would that balance it out with my thin frame or would it be too short?And would love to know how to address bunching at the back of the sleeves.Appreciate the comments.Sorry for the crappy pictures though.

Coburg

Reaction score
Thank you in advance to the three tailors for doing this.

What I need most is help knowing how good this tailor is. I'm at school in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, and he is the only person I've heard recommended as able to handle a suit here. As I can't afford higher-quality experimentation right now, I brought him this BB BrooksEase. I just went in, put on the suit and let him envelope me in a storm of pinning without direction.

Also, any recommendations for serious tailors in the Research Triangle area would be really, really great.

Finally, I'd like to have my coat sleeves tapered but did not ask him to do so. Do I just want barely enough room for a french cuff to fit inside? Would this slim the sleeve enough to still look good with barrel cuffs? Any guidelines on tapering a sleeve so it works with both kinds of cuffs would be great.

Thank you again.

Gorpomon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to SF, I just discovered this website today. This thread is particularly cool, and I've devoured all 231 posts so far, what a good way to spend an hour.

I think this is probably the best spot on the internet to answer a long burning question I have.

I got these pants tailored earlier this summer, after a few wearings I noticed what is in the picture, a black schmutz of string on the crotch of the pants. After I saw this, I stopped wearing the pants, as I had concern that they might rip while being worn, please let me know if this fear is unfounded. I pulled out all the black thread, there were pieces of black thread sticking out of the fabric all around the seam that were not on the seam. Finding this was also confusing for another reason. I took these to a tailor who is reportedly one of the best ones in the DFW metroplex where I reside, I would like to know if this is an indication of receiving poor service.

Please let me know if this can be common in the crotch area of pants after tailoring. All I had done was the legs tapered a bit, the waist let out and the pant legs hemmed. The black schmutz can be seen in the seam as the dark line, and all around it were flecks of black thread that I pulled out, not on seams but just in the fabric.

Below is an inside the pant shot, if you look, you can see black dotting on the fabric to the right of the seam.

Any answers or feedback is greatly appreciated! And if the pictures are not of proper quality to provide assistance, I will post clearer ones post haste.

Regards,
Ron

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got this jacket off b&s for $55. 100% virgin wool shell. Navy. A basic jacket that I have been looking for.

Shoulders fit fine. Main concern is the sleeves and body/body length.

Is it worth it to get it tailored? I want a modern slim fit (not skinny) fit. You can see I am pretty thin fellow.

I apologize for the crappy photos, just got this today after work and took quick pics.

I do no doubt that this tailoring job can be done, but worth it?

FYI, I was told this is how the jacket should fit. A shirt underneath will be fine. But I want to get the sleeves slimmed and shortened and the body slimmed and shortened as well.
The armhole is also fairly low, is that easy to alter?

At this point it feels more like a coat rather than a jacket.

better photos later***

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gentlemen. Seriously. These tailors have graciously agreed to hook us up with free advice. The least we can do is provide properly exposed, in-focus photographs. We can't expect any useful feedback on pics which show a triangle of white shirt and an amorphous blob of black/navy/gray suit with no detail. At least go outside to take the pics. Please.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not the same now now that I have work and get off by the time sun goes down (winter). It is no excuse though, I'm sorry. :foo:

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to SF, I just discovered this website today. This thread is particularly cool, and I've devoured all 231 posts so far, what a good way to spend an hour.

I think this is probably the best spot on the internet to answer a long burning question I have.

I got these pants tailored earlier this summer, after a few wearings I noticed what is in the picture, a black schmutz of string on the crotch of the pants. After I saw this, I stopped wearing the pants, as I had concern that they might rip while being worn, please let me know if this fear is unfounded. I pulled out all the black thread, there were pieces of black thread sticking out of the fabric all around the seam that were not on the seam. Finding this was also confusing for another reason. I took these to a tailor who is reportedly one of the best ones in the DFW metroplex where I reside, I would like to know if this is an indication of receiving poor service.

Please let me know if this can be common in the crotch area of pants after tailoring. All I had done was the legs tapered a bit, the waist let out and the pant legs hemmed. The black schmutz can be seen in the seam as the dark line, and all around it were flecks of black thread that I pulled out, not on seams but just in the fabric.

Below is an inside the pant shot, if you look, you can see black dotting on the fabric to the right of the seam.

Any answers or feedback is greatly appreciated! And if the pictures are not of proper quality to provide assistance, I will post clearer ones post haste.

Regards,
Ron
Ask the tailor who worked on it. Have the suit dry cleaned. Haven't seen anything like this so couldn't tell you anything about this.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Got this jacket off b&s for $55. 100% virgin wool shell. Navy. A basic jacket that I have been looking for.

Shoulders fit fine. Main concern is the sleeves and body/body length.

Is it worth it to get it tailored? I want a modern slim fit (not skinny) fit. You can see I am pretty thin fellow.

I apologize for the crappy photos, just got this today after work and took quick pics.

I do no doubt that this tailoring job can be done, but worth it?

FYI, I was told this is how the jacket should fit. A shirt underneath will be fine. But I want to get the sleeves slimmed and shortened and the body slimmed and shortened as well.
The armhole is also fairly low, is that easy to alter?

At this point it feels more like a coat rather than a jacket.

better photos later***

Just looks too big

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you in advance to the three tailors for doing this.

What I need most is help knowing how good this tailor is. I'm at school in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, and he is the only person I've heard recommended as able to handle a suit here. As I can't afford higher-quality experimentation right now, I brought him this BB BrooksEase. I just went in, put on the suit and let him envelope me in a storm of pinning without direction.

Also, any recommendations for serious tailors in the Research Triangle area would be really, really great.

Finally, I'd like to have my coat sleeves tapered but did not ask him to do so. Do I just want barely enough room for a french cuff to fit inside? Would this slim the sleeve enough to still look good with barrel cuffs? Any guidelines on tapering a sleeve so it works with both kinds of cuffs would be great.

Thank you again.

Looks pretty much OK. Don't know how close it fits around the waist of the jacket but if it is not too snug some shape to the waist would look better. Ask the tailor about the width of the sleeve opening. Hard to judge from internet pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads