• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had the trouser opening changed from 8.5 to 7.5 to 7.75 and now may change it to 8" :fu:

I don't mind the break, but I hate the fact that when I stand still, I have to touch my pants or shake me leg for the trousers to fall over my shoe correctly. It always gets caught in my laces or heel.

Wore different shoes today and it was better.

What is the general rule of pants being too short when you walk? I feel like when I walk my trouser legs rise up showing my socks.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had the trouser opening changed from 8.5 to 7.5 to 7.75 and now may change it to 8" :fu:
I don't mind the break, but I hate the fact that when I stand still, I have to touch my pants or shake me leg for the trousers to fall over my shoe correctly. It always gets caught in my laces or heel.
Wore different shoes today and it was better.
What is the general rule of pants being too short when you walk? I feel like when I walk my trouser legs rise up showing my socks.

you can play as much as you wish with the bottom circumference. but the only way to have the leg hang long and straight is to make it large enough to encompass the instep.
that would take care of the walking. narrow bottoms hang straight and SHORT., because they hit your instep.
two objects cannot occupy the same space.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, would you suggest 8" for general or stick with 8.5"

8.5" is just too wide for my frame IMO but I think I can add another .25"

I wonder if I should take in the pants a 5th time :lol: The tailor at my place must be laughing his ass off.

i'm so noob

fyi, i have 2 pairs that have yet to be altered so this is all good for future reference. i'm super OCD though so I may have all 3 done to have same measurements.

Last edited:

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder if I should take in the pants a 5th time :lol: The tailor at my place must be laughing his ass off.
i'm so noob
fyi, i have 2 pairs that have yet to be altered so this is all good for future reference. i'm super OCD though so I may have all 3 done to have same measurements.

How much do you pay each time? Is it even worth it anymore?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No man, if anyone cares just check my posts. This is getting ridiculous .... and to answer your question, the tailor i go to would probably just alter it for free (if i have the other 2 unaltered pants done). You know, developing relationship with your tailor.

But having entire pants altered, hemmed and tapered with waist taken in, probably under $30. Perhaps even cheaper now that I have been a repeat customer.

MC has ruined me since lurking more and more

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm so noob

Out of curiosity, have you talked with the tailor about what it is you want to happen, or have you gone in giving instructions?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

please give me your opinions, esteemed tailors
so my suit jackets are too short with a bit of a flare at the bottom
it's my fault because at my fitting, i did tell the tailor to make the jacket shorter than he had originally made... i guess i made it too short
rps20110927_143407.jpg

rps20110927_143339.jpg

rps20111007_100539.jpg

rps20111007_100628.jpg

rps20111007_100746.jpg
so ...
i'm sure i could just ask my tailor to make the jacket 1" longer for the next order without having to go and get fitted again...
(1" should be good, right? maybe 3/4"?)
but in terms of reducing the flare/bell bottoming of the jacket ... do you think it is something the tailor can change with my existing pattern without me having to go and get fitted?
also, is it just the length of the jacket or do i actually need the button to be moved as well?
i do have a long torso ... and i don't really want to make the rise of the pants much higher than it is right now....
do you see a big problem with the proportions there?

sorry but you cant lengthen the jacket.
although there is cloth in the hem that you can use, there is no cloth that can be used at the bottom of the facing.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go in after reading on here and give instructions. But the only thing I really ask for is the taper, which seems to be the only ongoing problem. I did try asking about changing the button stance haha! that was no-go

i.e. Various people have pointed out that I have a right shoulder drop and my right hip sits higher. This advice has helped greatly :)

Everything else was fixed accordingly. Since I am from the SW&D side of the forum, I tried forcing a SW&D aesthetic on MC. Hence, starting off with a 7.5" taper until realizing it may be too fashion forward for my body frame. And still not wanting to change completely, I went with a 7.75". Obviously, MC and SW&D fit totally different on my body. So now I have a small dilemma again with the hem.

In my short history, there are 2 tailors I work with. One I travel far to and another nearby. The tailor located further away is worth it...a lot more experience/history. And he is a male if that makes any difference. The other tailor that is local is female. Both offer great customer service, but the actual servicing of the garments vary.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sorry but you cant lengthen the jacket.
although there is cloth in the hem that you can use, there is no cloth that can be used at the bottom of the facing.

oh no
you misunderstood me
not lengthen the existing jacket... but changes for when i have my next suit made
i got one made, then reordered using the same pattern so i have two suits that are identical... both with the short jacket length and the jacket flaring
i will just live with these for now... but i do plan on getting more suits made in the future

so now... can you address my questions again?
please give me your opinions, esteemed tailors
so my suit jackets are too short with a bit of a flare at the bottom
it's my fault because at my fitting, i did tell the tailor to make the jacket shorter than he had originally made... i guess i made it too short
rps20110927_143407.jpg

rps20110927_143339.jpg

rps20111007_100539.jpg

rps20111007_100628.jpg

rps20111007_100746.jpg
so ...
i'm sure i could just ask my tailor to make the jacket 1" longer for the next order without having to go and get fitted again...
(1" should be good, right? maybe 3/4"?)
but in terms of reducing the flare/bell bottoming of the jacket ... do you think it is something the tailor can change with my existing pattern without me having to go and get fitted?
also, is it just the length of the jacket or do i actually need the button to be moved as well?
i do have a long torso ... and i don't really want to make the rise of the pants much higher than it is right now....
do you see a big problem with the proportions there?

Last edited:

knite

Reaction score
I'm having trousers, shirts, and a vest made right now. Apologies for the shoes and lack of belt.

Today was my first fitting. I told my tailor that the trouser front is too tight, and that there's too much material on the sleeves.

The next fitting is tomorrow, and the final one the day after. I'll post a vest photo after tomorrow's fitting.

Be brutal, the fit needs some help!

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, there, guys.

I just need a quick opinion. In the pictures below, I have my suit pants fitting perfectly, but I'm wondering if I need to hem.

Please let me know. Thanks!

OTM

Reaction score
Dear contributors,

thank you very much for your enlightened comments to the various items on this thread.

Submitted for your scrutiny, please find enclosed a wool suit, a linen suit and a linen blazer.

Wool:

- Side and back views:

Linen suit:

- Side and back views

Linen blazer:

- Side and back views

Feedback would be most welcome!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey, there, guys.
I just need a quick opinion. In the pictures below, I have my suit pants fitting perfectly, but I'm wondering if I need to hem.
Please let me know. Thanks!

make them about 2 inches longer. do you stack your jeans also?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm having trousers, shirts, and a vest made right now. Apologies for the shoes and lack of belt.
Today was my first fitting. I told my tailor that the trouser front is too tight, and that there's too much material on the sleeves.
The next fitting is tomorrow, and the final one the day after. I'll post a vest photo after tomorrow's fitting.
Be brutal, the fit needs some help!

the entire hip, waist, and crotch area of the pant too tight. the side pockets are sticking out. the legs are ok. do you wear the front pushed down like that?
the sleeves, are they too long or too wide? if you think too wide, then be careful. too narrow is worse.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads