• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

hitsuji

Reaction score
Yeah the bump is the fabric. My actual body doesn’t have a bump like that (See attached photo)

The other jacket was identical in construction and design.

Essentially, they’ve said it’s because I have less muscle mass on the right shoulder blade, and my left shoulder is further forward. And that’s somehow caused the bump at the top in the shoulder line.

Something I would have expected to be adjusted for seeing as we’re talking about bespoke.
That is absurd if you're talking bespoke especially the "we did all we could" excuse, I'd be fuming. I don't see why your muscle imbalance was not addressed in any of the fittings. Were you aware of it before it was finished?

This to me initially looked like an MTM gone wrong but it is unacceptable that the cutter saw that flaw and let you leave with the store with it.

is it just excess fabric or do you feel some padding too?

OGE1815

Reaction score
That is absurd if you're talking bespoke especially the "we did all we could" excuse, I'd be fuming. I don't see why your muscle imbalance was not addressed in any of the fittings. Were you aware of it before it was finished?

This to me initially looked like an MTM gone wrong but it is unacceptable that the cutter saw that flaw and let you leave with the store with it.

is it just excess fabric or do you feel some padding too?
Absolutely, it’s not what I expected. And I agree with you, I would have thought this is the kind of thing bespoke is for. Hiding issues.

I’ll tell you one thing though… it makes me appreciate my other tailor (Chittleborough and Morgan) - they go above and beyond. Can’t fault them in any way. I’ve actually sent this photo to them too, to get their opinion and will likely take it in next time I’m in London.

Your question:

There’s very light padding there. That’s why I believe the bump is more prominent.

OGE1815

Reaction score
That’s bespoke?? What firm let that out their door and argued about making it right? That’s unacceptable.
Believe it or not, it is. I’ve sent you the name - all things considered I don‘t feel right slamming them in public.

ps. The shoulder is the only issue. The back looks like it has a lot of drape, and that’s because it’s not a standard jacket. It’s a bomber (same model as one pictured).

Attachments

• 64B0004A-9F73-4DF5-B998-8112EC69A7FC.jpeg
    64B0004A-9F73-4DF5-B998-8112EC69A7FC.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 162

marmite

Reaction score
This looks like a jacket by Michael Brown?

It's not just the "bump", the back should also be much much cleaner. Do you mind my asking how much he charged you for the jacket? Did you also get the matching pants?

Outfit-8-scaled.jpg

edit: I'll remove the name if you're not comfortable seeing it here.

Last edited:

dougc33

Reaction score

It's not just the "bump", the back should also be much much cleaner. Do you mind my asking how much he charged you for the jacket? Did you also get the matching pants?
Browne - or leave the "e" off for "effective tailoring"

hitsuji

Reaction score
Absolutely, it’s not what I expected. And I agree with you, I would have thought this is the kind of thing bespoke is for. Hiding issues.

I’ll tell you one thing though… it makes me appreciate my other tailor (Chittleborough and Morgan) - they go above and beyond. Can’t fault them in any way. I’ve actually sent this photo to them too, to get their opinion and will likely take it in next time I’m in London.

Your question:

There’s very light padding there. That’s why I believe the bump is more prominent.
It probably would be great to get another opinion of a tailor you trust on the reasoning behind that bump. Possibly C&M?

I suspect, although I'm not knowledgeable at all that due to your imbalance, the pitch of the back/front panels may be misaligned to make that bump happen? But again, I tailor you trust should be able to diagnose it and then you could go back to that firm and ask again because it is a catastrophe and a respectable firm would let you walk out without offering assistance.

OGE1815

Reaction score

No it’s okay - Initially wanted to focus on this issue and not the tailor (because some of his work is amazing, beautifully done and I’m sure there are many positive experiences).

Obvious from the photo though, and being new to the forum I underestimated how well known he’d be.

It was £6,750.

I didn’t get the matching pants, no (I can’t justify London bespoke prices for trousers - whitcomb or Sexton offshore is the max I’d go, both great)

OGE1815

Reaction score
It probably would be great to get another opinion of a tailor you trust on the reasoning behind that bump. Possibly C&M?

I suspect, although I'm not knowledgeable at all that due to your imbalance, the pitch of the back/front panels may be misaligned to make that bump happen? But again, I tailor you trust should be able to diagnose it and then you could go back to that firm and ask again because it is a catastrophe and a respectable firm would let you walk out without offering assistance.
100%. I’m going to take it into C&M when I’m back in the UK - already emailed :)

zspasic1

Reaction score
Hello, just received this vintage Polo Ralph Lauren DB jacket and need some advice as to whether it can be shortened 1” without compromising the balance of the jacket too much.

I already had pants in the matching fabric, so I was ecstatic to find this in good condition in my size. From the measurements, it should have fit pretty spot on, but upon trying it on, it is a bit too long.

I’ve pinned it up 1” from the jacket hem just to see how it would look. Also need to get the sleeves shortened and take in the waist/back a touch. But what do you think? Is it feasible to shorten the length on this jacket?

Attachments

• IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 165

stylecounsel1

Reaction score
I love my favourite RL tan jacket so I bought a similar blue one. The tan one is POLO (yellow writing on blue background) with patch pockets and working cuffs the blue one is POLO logo white writing in white box "Polo by Ralph Lauren" with flap pockets and non working cuffs but seems slightly better made albeit dry clean only. Its length is about 2cm shorter so better for me although the longer tan one is still a good fit.

The fit is good except when I look at the blue one, one of the shoulders looks wrong. In the picture, one shoulder slopes down smoothly but the other looks more boxy. The tan one looks more symetrical even though my anatomical shoulders differ a little.

Is there something wrong with the blue jacket in it's construction? Should I return it? They have another the same cut as the tan one but blue with patch pockets, longer, etc so I could exchange. What do you think? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8184.JPG
    IMG_8184.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_8201.JPG
    IMG_8201.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 253

zspasic1

Reaction score
I love my favourite RL tan jacket so I bought a similar blue one. The tan one is POLO (yellow writing on blue background) with patch pockets and working cuffs the blue one is POLO logo white writing in white box "Polo by Ralph Lauren" with flap pockets and non working cuffs but seems slightly better made albeit dry clean only. Its length is about 2cm shorter so better for me although the longer tan one is still a good fit.

The fit is good except when I look at the blue one, one of the shoulders looks wrong. In the picture, one shoulder slopes down smoothly but the other looks more boxy. The tan one looks more symetrical even though my anatomical shoulders differ a little.

Is there something wrong with the blue jacket in it's construction? Should I return it? They have another the same cut as the tan one but blue with patch pockets, longer, etc so I could exchange. What do you think? Thanks
The blue one’s shoulders look fine to me. If it’s washed cotton, as it appears to be, it’s gonna have a little asymmetry by nature of the fabric. Could also be the spalla camicia being a little more pronounced on the left. But nothing to obsess over. It looks good!

If the jacket fits well otherwise, I would keep it

OGE1815

Reaction score

I think it looks good mate.

Is the camera angle slightly different for each photo?

zspasic1

Reaction score
Hello, just received this vintage Polo Ralph Lauren DB jacket and need some advice as to whether it can be shortened 1” without compromising the balance of the jacket too much.

I already had pants in the matching fabric, so I was ecstatic to find this in good condition in my size. From the measurements, it should have fit pretty spot on, but upon trying it on, it is a bit too long.

I’ve pinned it up 1” from the jacket hem just to see how it would look. Also need to get the sleeves shortened and take in the waist/back a touch. But what do you think? Is it feasible to shorten the length on this jacket?
Just following up on this. Took the suit to my tailor, and he advised me to proceed with shortening the jacket 1”. Also taking in the waist, shortening the sleeve, and widening the pants to help balance the slightly large jacket.

joorinainen

Reaction score
SuSu trousers are severely limited if you're going for a fuller cut and aren't very slim yourself. For example, I have larger thighs and the SuSu builder maxes out its thigh measurement way too slim for what I'd want to wear.

Jackets are fine though.

Actually quite the contrary. You can make a custom pair of SS trousers for a small upcharge and make as full of a cut you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads