• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

BB_Adept

Reaction score
I purchased a vintage overcoat from Pete and Harry that is somewhat too big.
I only tried it on and i can return it.

Would an alterations tailor be able to
1. Remove shoulder pads
2. Take in the coat altogether
3. Shorten the coat about 5-7cm?
Would this make sense or shall I rather return it?

Sorry for the awful photo, it was late at night and I was in my sports dress.

Attachments

• 20221102_210031.jpg
    20221102_210031.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 190

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1. Remove shoulder pads

Coat is 1 or 2 sizes too big.
Get the right size you won't need any alterations.
High risk of altering and and not getting optimal results, then you're stuck with something you don't like the fit and look.
If you taper the body and not remove the sleeves and narrow the shoulder, it will look disproportioned. You can't get rid of all the drape in the chest because of the breast pocket. if you reduce the chest the pocket will be too close to the sleeve seam.
All this work has to done well and sure it would be expensive if its done well

BB_Adept

Reaction score
Thank you so very much @Despos
I would gladly appreciate your opinion on the sport coat I posted if you happen to have a couple of free time and mental power to spare :)

nevaeh

Reaction score
Not sure whether this is the right thread. Is there a rule of thumb for the length of overcoats? I’ve heard for suit jackets it’s half the height from collar down—is there something like that for overcoats?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Remove shoulder pads

I'm heavily biased* as I like big coats, but I think overcoats generally look better when they're too big vs. a tailored fit like a suit or sports coat. They're also way more comfortable, and easier to layer with.

The broad shoulders, drape in the chest, and vertical ripples give off a comfortable, masculine silhouette. If my opinion matters, I'd shorten the coat and leave the rest as is.

*also not a tailor.
Not sure whether this is the right thread. Is there a rule of thumb for the length of overcoats? I’ve heard for suit jackets it’s half the height from collar down—is there something like that for overcoats?
Nah. Overcoats have a square skirt/quarters, the overall look matters more than the suit's "bisect the body in half" idea.

I'd say a better question is, where do you want the coat to fall? There's pros/cons to all lengths.

Above the knee length doesn't get in the way when getting in and out of a car, it's convenient. It also lacks a dramatic look and doesn't swish when you walk and is less warm. I personally wouldn't go anything shorter than just above the knee cap.

Below the knee lengths can get in the way when getting in and out of a car, and they're bulkier. Good luck finding a place to put these in a restaurant without the coat dragging on the ground. These lengths also swish and have a flow when you walk and will keep you warmer.

At this point, all my overcoats are below the knee. Ranging from upper calf to mid-lower-calf length.

The point when a coat is too long for me is when I feel self-conscious about it dragging on the ground at any point and picking up grime.

vim147

Reaction score
I have a pair of trousers that need the waist/seat increasing by an inch.

If I have this done by a tailor, would the old stitch holes be visible on the seat ?

Bersabee

Reaction score
Need some help with what needs to be done with this coat. I am planning to order an MTO from Spier and Mackay. This fits me pretty good off the rack. If just curious to what needs to be done around the body. It seems a little tight around the stomach and a touch across the back. Just wanted to see if I'm missing something (yes I know the sleeves are too long). Also how much should be let out? This is a 44R for reference.

IMG_20221102_170140_538__01.jpg
IMG_20221102_170138_351__01.jpg
IMG_20221102_170136_284__01.jpg
IMG_20221102_170134_252__01.jpg
IMG_20221102_170132_185__01.jpg
IMG_20221102_170130_160__01.jpg

BB_Adept

Reaction score
@FlyingHorker your opinion definitely dies matter and I appreciate it.
I share your opinion on oversizing, this will be the first overcoat I buy for myself (instead of just taking my father's) and I want it to be longer.
However, at least the shoulder pads would have to be removed and i am afraid this will throw off the entire silhouette.
I am a broad shouldered guy and with those shoulder pads I look like a villain from a 90s comic movie.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingHorker your opinion definitely dies matter and I appreciate it.
I share your opinion on oversizing, this will be the first overcoat I buy for myself (instead of just taking my father's) and I want it to be longer.
However, at least the shoulder pads would have to be removed and i am afraid this will throw off the entire silhouette.
I am a broad shouldered guy and with those shoulder pads I look like a villain from a 90s comic movie.
IMO, "villain from a 90s comic movie" looks pretty cool but do what feels comfortable to you.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the shoulder pads and would then return the coat.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Consider how the topcoat will most often be used.
Over a suit or jacket or not.
You need room to accommodate what you wear under the coat. A suit jacket may make a difference in the appearance And you may be ok.
If not intending to wear this over a jacket, definitely get a smaller size

Bersabee

Reaction score
Need some help with what needs to be done with this coat. I am planning to order an MTO from Spier and Mackay. This fits me pretty good off the rack. If just curious to what needs to be done around the body. It seems a little tight around the stomach and a touch across the back. Just wanted to see if I'm missing something (yes I know the sleeves are too long). Also how much should be let out? This is a 44R for reference.

View attachment 1853165 View attachment 1853166 View attachment 1853167 View attachment 1853168 View attachment 1853169 View attachment 1853170
@Despos do you have any comments on the fit issues? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Any help works

BB_Adept

Reaction score
IMO, "villain from a 90s comic movie" looks pretty cool but do what feels comfortable to you.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the shoulder pads and would then return the coat.
That's exactly what I did.
Even if the shoulders were not too Bad, the waist of the coat was. My wife said it looks like a huge dress.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the risks of letting out a jacket from the side versus back when trying to allow spsce for one's gut?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads