• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum obsessions

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mack : thanks for clearing this up for me. In retrospect, I may have been a bit offensive.

Alias : well, I wear 30" pants as well (46ITA or 30" jeans), but my chest is bigger, more than 37" so I usually don't fit in 46ITA Costume National coats. This is the only designer where I have to wear a 48 coat. Jil Sander & Helmut Lang fit well at 46. Granted, bargains are hard to find on these items, especially in 46 or 44 and I'm not quite to the point where I accept to pay 1400 euro for a suit.
On RLBL, I have seen the pictures on this board, and I must admit they look neat. Although, once again, I can't help but thinking RL has just invested a new market niche to make big money.

.luc

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I've dropped 30 pounds recently so I'm having to replace or alter many garments that are now more 'slim fitting'

...And if anyone says that is womanly of me then I will promptly slap the hell out of them with my purse.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Although, once again, I can't help but thinking RL has just invested a new market niche to make big money.

Isn't that what he is suppose to do as a business owner? I personally don't like the line all that much, although, I'll make my final judgement when I see the clothes in person.

Any ideas when RLBL is expects to be released?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas when RLBL is expects to be released?
It's out right now in only select RL retail stores. I know that the mansion store on 72nd and Madison has them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
You're knocking slim-fitting yet you wear Jil, Helmut, and Ennio? Perhaps we're just thinking on different terms here... because in America (you're in paris, right?), 80% of suits sold are baggy sack suits. Nordstrom-brand is typical. Slim-fitting is Jil Sander. Dior Homme is tight.

Most of the members here are very aware on what is a good fit and what is not. We all know our measurements and have a good idea how a garment with the correct measurements posted will fit. Not sure where you get this idea that every time something is found at a discount or on ebay, it's too big/too small. Many of us search very extensively for a good deal on something *in our size*, and only a few times are successful. I've been looking for a good deal on a grey 3-button forever now. I could just order one full-retail and deal with the convenience, or I could keep waiting for the perfect one to show up at a good discount online.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I've dropped 30 pounds recently so I'm having to replace or alter many garments that are now more 'slim fitting' ...And if anyone says that is womanly of me then I will promptly slap the hell out of them with my purse.
HAHAHAHA Only if it's a Hermes Berkin
biggrin.gif
Jon.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, I live in france.
I am shocked beyond belief to read that.

Is that where I send the Jump-to-Conclusions mat?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're knocking slim-fitting yet you wear Jil, Helmut, and Ennio? Perhaps we're just thinking on different terms here... because in America (you're in paris, right?), 80% of suits sold are baggy sack suits. Nordstrom-brand is typical. Slim-fitting is Jil Sander. Dior Homme is tight.

Most of the members here are very aware on what is a good fit and what is not. We all know our measurements and have a good idea how a garment with the correct measurements posted will fit. Not sure where you get this idea that every time something is found at a discount or on ebay, it's too big/too small. Many of us search very extensively for a good deal on something *in our size*, and only a few times are successful. I've been looking for a good deal on a grey 3-button forever now. I could just order one full-retail and deal with the convenience, or I could keep waiting for the perfect one to show up at a good discount online.
Brian, what size suit and how much do you want to pay? If you don't want to mention over the forum just PM me. No, I do not have anything for sale, but might have a good idea depending what size you want.

Jon.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But again, if I were surrounded by fat people (read : poor white trash), I would probably also feel the need to show how fitted I am (being able to afford luxury clothes, nice fresh food & vegetables...etc).
Some of your post, while a bit antagonistic, had some merit. But on several points, I think you're wrong.

Including this one, which is something I have no idea where you came up with. I doubt you're even French: Fresh food in the US is incredibly inexpensive, including fresh vegetables. So those who are fat, etc., who are "poor white trash" as you like to think of them, are not prevented access from fresh foods.

That's the paradox, in a sense. It's entirely possible to eat well for very little money in this USA. That people don't is another story. So there isn't really any status afforded to those who eat fresh vegetables.

I rarely read health books but I found "Fat Land: How Americans became the fattest in the world" to be pretty engaging, pretty decent reading. Plus, the guy actually cites his sources, unlike a lot of these other popular health books.
------

All this being said, on another point you make, who hasn't had to resist buying something at an incredible deal that wasn't his size.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horace, fresh vegetables need to be cooked in order to get something decent to eat. Cooking takes time and comittment. Now, to the money thing, your energetic/dollar ratio in food is biased to highly energetic junk food. I don't want to start another debate here, but for 50 cents you can get a huge bag of potato chips which fill you up much more than say, a handful of fresh tomatoes which is what you will get for 50 cents. Well, I'm really french. Can't you tell from my impeccable grammar and spelling ?
wink.gif
.luc

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Horace, fresh vegetables need to be cooked in order to get something decent to eat.
Paging the shooman . . .

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not knocking slim fitting, I'm pretty fashion forward, so I like slim fitting clothes. As I have a rather standard build (well, except I'm too short but I doubt I can do anything about that), I can wear designer clothes without looking ill-fitted (i.e : too tight, or too lose). But you are correct, I have no idea what americans have to cope with in terms of middle RTW. Jil, helmut, and ennio (muccia, muccia and yet-to-be-bought)
wink.gif
As for Hedi, well I'll save the best for another rant. cheers .luc

acole

Reaction score
The OP's comments aren't trollish at all.
I stand corrected, then.  Color me breathless for the next salvo of penetrating transatlantic insight, which I'm sure will make for a scintillating addition to our colloquy.
sarcasm.gif
Now, off to find those size 27 Guess jeans and hone my pathologically American self-delusion...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jil, helmut, and ennio (muccia, muccia and yet-to-be-bought)

I love Costume National Clothes, which invariably fit me to a t, although recently my size 50 EU pants are getting sllightly snug at the hips and thighs, which is where all excess weight goes first, and muscle as well (I do intervals about 3 times a week, and compared to the average young Frenchman (yes, I have been to France, and have a large sample from which to make this statement) who doesn't work out as intensely, I have really muscular thighs. The 50 EU jackets are still right on - they fit slightly more fitted than usual - which is sort of my preference, but I could wear a 52 EU and the fit might even be better, depending on who is judging. HL suits also fit me perfectly, so you and i must have different (but the same?) physiques. Surprisingly, Jil Sander shirts are great for me, but her jackets are a little too slim at the shoulder and a little too straight at the waist, in general. I need a little more waist suppression..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads