• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The streetwear shoes and boots thread...No sneakers please

matthewh

Reaction score

im looking for boots similiar to these 3 pictures in the 200-300 range i dont want a timberland construction esque boot more urban

Danner has some boots that are similar. Look at this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/270451/danner-stumptown-collection
You can check their website also. Don't know if it matters but not all of their boots are made in the USA. You have to check individual items to see.

Also, if you search "wedge sole D ring hiking boots", you'll get a lot of results similar to these photos.

fireflygrave

Reaction score
So, having some sole problems with my boots:

And a bit of separation around the sides

Like that in a few places.

Are these things that are easily repairable by a decent cobbler? Does anyone have experience with these things being common in Layer-0 boots? Should I send a grumpy email to the seller for lying about how often the boots were worn and ask for a partial refund (worn 5-6 times ******)?

Also, how do I know if a cobbler is decent/what should I tell him to do for this problem? I'm worried about being in memphis and the guy not understanding that the boots are supposed to have a white wash/be distressed/etc and doing something to them.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. layer-0 should be built pretty solid but you have a pair from one of the old seasons so idk about the quality back then. last/current season is rock solid.
2. that should not happen, definitely email the seller and find out whats up.
3. go to a cobbler show a pic of what they looked like and explain what to do and what not to do, i'm sure a decent cobbler will understand

sorry to hear this boots are breaking

fireflygrave

Reaction score
It's not a huge deal from what I understand of shoemaking. The soles are nailed not glued, so this should all be repairable without too much trouble. Just a bit PO'ed that they weren't exactly the condition they were claimed to be.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stevey6404

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Can you guys please recommend me some winter boots for Boston?

I'm an exchange student from Australia heading to Boston from January - June, and Sydney's winter is no where as cold (don't even snow) as Boston so I have no clue what kind of boots I'll need. Just looking for something that doesn't look ridiculous (like LL Bean - sorry supporters) and enable me to walk around comfortably as I'll be visiting places.

Any other tips to prepare me would be welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question for you guys (which i asked before on here and didn't get a response)

i have a pair of walk over bucks that i had resoled with a vibram sole (HYPE!). i don't know enough about shoe construction to articulate this properly but originally there was the shoe stitched to a "mid sole" of what i think was some type of hard plastic then the red brick sole glued to that. when the cobbler resoled them he removed both the red brick sole and that layer that was stitched and just glued the vibram sole to the shoe. now there are holes where the welt stitching used to be. it probably doesn't really matter but i'm neurotic and ocd and the empty stitching holes really bug me.

what should i say to a cobbler to get this fixed? i.e. i want him to add that stitched mid layer back in THEN glue the sole. i know someone on here knows enough about shoe construction to help me out (@hendrix @teger SOMEONE).

Last edited:

NormanF

Reaction score
I ended up getting the new Clarks Newby Jump Boots. I was taken by the paratroop boot outsole and classic service boot styling:

I dig the rich brown leather. It reminds me of a dressier desert boots and the rubber outsole exudes a cool masculine vibe. A bonus is an extra set of shoelaces. As uncomplicated chukka boots they're lightweight and relieve the feet in walking around town and on the trails. They go great as a companion to my Clarks Desert Boots with the original crepe outsole.

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score

I ended up getting the new Clarks Newby Jump Boots. I was taken by the paratroop boot outsole and classic service boot styling: Are you a copywriting program? I dig the rich brown leather. It reminds me of a dressier desert boots and the rubber outsole exudes a cool masculine vibe. A bonus is an extra set of shoelaces. As uncomplicated chukka boots they're lightweight and relieve the feet in walking around town and on the trails. They go great as a companion to my Clarks Desert Boots with the original crepe outsole.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still haven't figured out if that guy is a troll or not from his Clarks x Horween circlejerk. However, I do have him blocked.

maltess

Reaction score
Since a few months ago they had some interesting Moma models in yoox, they have been selling them, and now there are only the very ogly models left. Has aynone got an idea in what frecuency Yoox receives a new shipment from Moma?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since a few months ago they had some interesting Moma models in yoox, they have been selling them, and now there are only the very ogly models left. Has aynone got an idea in what frecuency Yoox receives a new shipment from Moma?

yoox has been reliably getting one or two moma shipments every season since moma made bespoke shoes for dinosaurs. i'd expect to see new stuff by maybe february or march at the latest

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads