• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a pictures of The Hickory colorway on ? I can never tell by the stock photos how the color way looks. :/
Molino in Hickory here. Obviously depends on the lighting, but also your complexion, hair color, etc.

JMM Molino Hickory left angle.png IM Pink Ombre_JMM Molinos.jpeg JMM Molino_thinking.jpg

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Teak is virtually identical to Hickory to my knowledge, except it has gold hardware instead of silver. I believe it's only been released on Hemmings and Lankaster though
Yeah sometimes I look at teak versus hickory and think it might be slightly darker, but it’s probably just my mind wanting there to be a difference. I think it might be the same

Samoa and argyle are the same way

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure teak and hickory have the same acetate colour, barring small differences across batches perhaps. Same with argyle and samoa. JMM’s colourways don’t refer only to the acetate, but also other details. E.g. the difference between samoa and argyle seems to be that the former has exposed wirecore and the latter doesn’t. Just like titan seems to be the same as beluga but with silver hardware instead of gold. The teak Hemmings have wider wirecore than the hickory ones IIRC, not sure about hardware colour.

And then there’s the lenses, which seem to be treated separately from the colourway. E.g. the Plaza in argyle have blue lenses whereas in Dealan they’re “bronze” (pink-ish). In some models hickory had olive lenses and blue in others, and so on.

As it’s been discussed in the past, it’s all pretty ridiculous, but as the business has expanded while trying to keep the “exclusivity/limited production” factor they basically have to make up new “models” frequently. The permutations of acetate colour, exposed vs. non-exposed wirecore, hardware colour and lenses colour can get you pretty far. Now you have 20 variations of “black”.

ps I really wish the Hemmings was smaller.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure teak and hickory have the same acetate colour, barring small differences across batches perhaps. Same with argyle and samoa. JMM’s colourways don’t refer only to the acetate, but also other details. E.g. the difference between samoa and argyle seems to be that the former has exposed wirecore and the latter doesn’t. Just like titan seems to be the same as beluga but with silver hardware instead of gold. The teak Hemmings have wider wirecore than the hickory ones IIRC, not sure about hardware colour.

And then there’s the lenses, which seem to be treated separately from the colourway. E.g. the Plaza in hickory have blue lenses whereas in Dealan they’re “bronze” (pink-ish). In some models hickory had olive lenses and blue in others, and so on.

As it’s been discussed in the past, it’s all pretty ridiculous, but as the business has expanded while trying to keep the “exclusivity/limited production” factor they basically have to make up new “models” frequently. The permutations of acetate colour, exposed vs. non-exposed wirecore, hardware colour and lenses colour can get you pretty far. Now you have 20 variations of “black”.

ps I really wish the Hemmings was smaller.

I have both Hickory and Teak, will compare them.

Yes, the nomenclature can be confusing and misleading. The new Saber colourway (Enzo), for example, is another iteration of black with exposed silver wirecore under a layer of red acetate. Sedona and Breccia are the same colour.

As for Plaza and Dealan you're referring probably to Argyle, not Hickory.

The Hemmings are large, but they're supposed to be that way, also people with wide faces need a fitting frame. I know, they're not the same, but you could try the Ascari.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep sorry meant argyle not hickory, I’ve updated my comment.

Trying on some Ascaris is def. in my to-do list.

Not feeling that fake horn colour… it’s like when some car has fake carbon fiber.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep sorry meant argyle not hickory, I’ve updated my comment.

Trying on some Ascaris is def. in my to-do list.

Not feeling that fake horn colour… it’s like when some car has fake carbon fiber.

Do you mean the Palisades colourway now? I really like it. I can follow your thought, partially, but you will see that also havana and tortoise shell colours are imitations.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait what? I guess I need to wind down my efforts to harvest sweet, sweet acetate from wild tortoises.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, IMO the minor differences in acetate are more likely to be due to different batches and/or natural aging than something intentional.

@elisiX I ordered the hickory Enzo from Cettire only to get an email saying it’s an inventory mistake. Funny thing is, still shows up as available on the site.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hightechtraders