• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Butler

Reaction score
If you want the single cuff option - why not have BC made with the extra buttonhole and you have both options!:bigstar:

Because then, unless I'm imagining this wrong, you'd have a button showing when the cuff is fastened by links.

The button is fastened inside the cuff on a long shank, and you pass it through the hole to put in the "barrel" position. You wouldn't see it when wearing links.

EDIT: Damn you, RDiaz, and your quick responses.

Like this: :bigstar:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, when you fasten the cuff with the button instead of a link, it just looks like a single cuff fastened by a button? I thought the point was to fasten it just like a true barrel cuff, with one side overlapping the other.

You can have it both ways. If you leave the button on the inside of the cuff you can button it as a single cuff (which is ugly IMO). If you pass it through the buttonhole to the outside, you can button it like a barrel cuff.

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

So, when you fasten the cuff with the button instead of a link, it just looks like a single cuff fastened by a button? I thought the point was to fasten it just like a true barrel cuff, with one side overlapping the other.

RDiaz's first pic shows the cuff unfastened. You could then button it like a normal barrel cuff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eh. Like I said, it's a moot point. I have no anxiety over linked cuffs and wear them exclusively on my non-OCBDs. I would never order a convertible cuff because I don't need the functionality and like to keep things as simple as possible.

The real question is not convertible versus linked, but single versus double.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but at least now you know how it works
tounge.gif

If you don't need the functionality it's pointless, I guess. Mine are convertible because they are RTW and come that way, but I only use them as barrel cuffs. I hate linked cuffs for the same reason you hate gauntlet buttons.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I do not see the appeal of single over double. I suppose foo would say the the fold serves no purpose, but I am not sure I agree. To support the heft of a link, I think you need more cloth there. Originally single links were only for evening clothes and were stiff. I believe that double cuffs were introduced in order to offer some of the functionality of stiffness without the bother of formal starched cuffs (which were often detachable).

And, I think double looks better.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I do not see the appeal of single over double. I suppose foo would say the the fold serves no purpose, but I am not sure I agree. To support the heft of a link, I think you need more cloth there. Originally single links were only for evening clothes and were stiff. I believe that double cuffs were introduced in order to offer some of the functionality of stiffness without the bother of formal starched cuffs (which were often detachable).

And, I think double looks better.

I think there are two things going for the single cuff over the double: (1) it's lighter and therefore more comfortable, and (2) despite its formal origins, I think the simplicity lends itself well to more casual wear.

Sure, you need some stiffer interlining to support the cuff, but all in all, it will still be less onerous than a double cuff with lighter, softer interlining. At least, that's how I feel about my single cuffed dinner shirt versus my regular double cuffed shirts.

If it matters, I'd have the corners rounded off.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't you think cufflinks take the shirt out of the realm of "more casual wear"? Unless you were thinking of using silk knots.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't you think cufflinks take the shirt out of the realm of casual wear? Unless you were thinking of using silk knots.

I didn't mean to imply I'd wear these shirts casually. Rather, I think single cuffs can work with more casual levels of dress than they were originally intended for (i.e. business wear).

But yes, silk knots are always an option if I want to make things even more casual. I like them with odd jackets, for example.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't have any single cuff shirts by my mind rebels that they might be in any way "more comfortable" than double, which I have been wearing for 20 years without the slightest discomfort.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't say double cuffs aren't comfortable. I just find my single cuffs slightly more so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is no comfort difference to me between a BC and an FC, I can't why there would be between and FC and a LC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads