• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's lighter. A very minor, incremental benefit? Sure. But that is the case with so many things.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
sounds rather princess and the peaish but if it works for you

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too have a Oneshirt
2122.png
00a9.png
00ae.png
. You know the brand and I will state that the line is Regent, which specifies the collar. I love a stiff yet comfortable collar and these come with contrast collars or self collars. Self double or single cuffs. They are available in classic or custom configurations with the latter being slimmer. Observe one of my faves:

The beauty is I spend on average $40 per shirt which is great since I consider dress shirts disposable. I have had some last ~10 years with continuous use.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's a "self double or single cuff?"

Also, those collar points are too short.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's a "self double or single cuff?"

Also, those collar points are too short.

Meaning the cuffs aren't white in the case of a contrast collar. That pic with the cardigan is deceiving. The others all have the exact same collar and they routinely fall below my lapels which is a personal peeve.

Do you like a stiff collar or relaxed?

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it difficult to deal with a soft collar. I like mine stiff and standing up straight. The soft ones tend to roll as the day wears on.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rather than grip at the wrist, it sits on the brim of your hand. Much more comfortable. Also, I conjecture that it consequently helps the sleeve drape better.
I haven't found that the grip of the cuff helps with sleeve drape (ie. sleeves disappearing up the coat's sleeves). The height of the shirt's armhole relative to the coat along with the fit of the shirt seem to affect it more. Even wearing a thick-ass watch like an IWC 3706 (yes, it's not thick compared to the monstrosities in vogue these days) without an adjustment to the cuff diameter doesn't affect it too much unless the cuff gets caught up on the watch itself.
Not my cup of tea, but here is a Paul Stuart shirt in what they call "chambray," with French cuffs and a white collar to boot:
This looks like the first "chambray" that Will sold, that turned out to be voile. I like that SG voile, too. The actual chambray seems like it's halfway to denim, by comparison.
(these pictures show the unfastened cuff, with the button in the "barrel" position, then passed through the buttonhole so it becomes "invisible" and ready for links)
I must just not get the appeal of casual single cuffs, and these pictures show exactly why. They look like someone's home craft project, especially with the button cuff links. Single-cuffs only look right to me in the context of formalwear: stiff interlining, white cloth, metallic links. To paraphrase our resident (young) architect, the design of the cuff is inauthentic to the material used --- it's trying to pretend to be something it's not.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't found that the grip of the cuff helps with sleeve drape (ie. sleeves disappearing up the coat's sleeves).

I don't mean that a barrel cuff will cause the sleeve to ride up your arm. As you point out, other factors such as armhole height matter more in that regard. However, a well-fit barrel cuff tends to exert upward tension on the sleeve, since it must grip your wrist laterally rather than sit on your hand. Consequently, the sleeve fabric tends not to fall as freely to the cuff. That's what I mean by drape in this context.

I must just not get the appeal of casual single cuffs, and these pictures show exactly why. They look like someone's home craft project, especially with the button cuff links. Single-cuffs only look right to me in the context of formalwear: stiff interlining, white cloth, metallic links. To paraphrase our resident (young) architect, the design of the cuff is inauthentic to the material used --- it's trying to pretend to be something it's not.

I'm not sure I understand why a single cuff in a non-formal context would be inauthentic to the material used. If you want a stiffer, cleaner look, it is a matter of choosing a heavier, thicker interlining, not the type of shirting. The above examples are all convertible cuffs, so they don't reflect the ideal form for a single cuff. On the matter of links: I'm confused as to how that influences your judgment of single cuffs. You can pick the sort you like, metallic or not.

hws

Reaction score
Take voile! No chambray!

For cuff you must to take elegant style of single button! No take single cuffs for boutons de manchette!

Riva make 170/2 chaîne and trame for 100% cotton, for mix cotton-linen Riva make 170/2 cotton chaîne with single fibre linen trame!

:slayer:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think hws isw actually an edmorel sock

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads