• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably why there are tons of 11's and 12's hanging around. I tend to have a preference for age, so I'd likely buy an 11 or 12 for drinking now over a 14 or 15 to be honest at least if the producer is good.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably why there are tons of 11's and 12's hanging around. I tend to have a preference for age, so I'd likely buy an 11 or 12 for drinking now over a 14 or 15 to be honest at least if the producer is good.
You can check auctions if you want age without having to wait

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes it's cheaper than original retail, especially for non-"Vintage of the Century".

Got some aged barolo pretty cheap at spectrum a few weeks ago

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just had a nice email conversation with Lyle. He wanted to know what we like to drink. Very impressed so far.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He has what he calls 'office hours' a few times a week, where you can just call and talk about wine, ask questions, whatever you want. Always really open

Last edited:

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

On a completely different topic, how do you guys feel about wines from countries less frequently discussed? Three times in the last week, I've been recommended to give a try to Lebanese wines (Bekaa valley, mainly). I've never had a wine from Lebanon. Hence, I'm tempted to try.

When I think South Africa I right away think Sauv Blanc and Chenin Blanc for whites. They call Chenin Blanc "Sheen" there. Also making some nice Chards and Viogniers. For reds I just think of Pinotage and am not impressed so far.

It's Steen, although most of what I see these days is labeled Chenin.

/pedantry

I agree with you about Pinotage. I've never had one that I could tolerate. They're no bargain, but I really like what Sadie Family Wines and Alheit are doing in South Africa. They're both making a lot of field blends from old vines, including some varieties that you rarely see (eg, Palomino, Tinto Barocca, and Semillon), and they're very good.

Never had a Lebanese wine but would try. I think there was a rather famous Bordeaux style wine some guy made there but he might have died. Can't remember but this sounds familiar to me.

Serge Hochar from Chateau Musar. It's very old fashioned, and there is a lot of bottle variation. I like the rouge just fine, but to me, at least, the blanc and the rose are really special. The rose is one of the very few that just about everybody agrees actually improves with age -- I think they release at over 10 years old, and it's something.

A white I'm drinking a lot of these days is Albarino from the Rías Baixas DO in Galacia. You should check them out as nice versions run $10-13 bucks or so.

Albarino really has excellent QPR. I've never had a bad one, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the ones I've seen over $25 a bottle. I also like the reds from that area in Spain made from Mencia (Ribeira Sacra and Bierzo) -- bright fruit, good acidity, not terribly heavy. I also love txakolina rose from the Basque country.

dwlbu

Reaction score
On a completely different topic, how do you guys feel about wines from countries less frequently discussed? Three times in the last week, I've been recommended to give a try to Lebanese wines (Bekaa valley, mainly). I've never had a wine from Lebanon. Hence, I'm tempted to try.

Opinions?
Chateau Musar is a Bordeaux/rhone blend from the Bekka Valley and it is the ****, and generally available in most cities. Usually between $40-50 and their current release is usually always about 9 years old. I highly recommend, just bought some 07s the other week! Haven't tried any other producers in that region because I'm pretty happy with Musar and the price point.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chateau Musar is a Bordeaux/rhone blend from the Bekka Valley and it is the ****, and generally available in most cities. Usually between $40-50 and their current release is usually always about 9 years old. I highly recommend, just bought some 07s the other week! Haven't tried any other producers in that region because I'm pretty happy with Musar and the price point.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, Musar isn't a produce available at our wine store (which is a province-wide monopoly). They stock Château Ksara, Kouroum, Fakra, Kefraya, St-Thomas and Khoury. But no Château Musar.

Thanks to all of the others who answered. I agree, South Africa is a region worth exploring!

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

He has what he calls 'office hours' a few times a week, where you can just call and talk about wine, ask questions, whatever you want. Always really open

Just heard back and he made some Pinot recs for me out of his list. Burgundy for $30'ish a bottle? I'm impressed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads