• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
small-timer Thanksgiving lineup at the obscure residence:

Some rosé champagne that I picked up for super cheap at Astor Wine--R. H. Coutier. Turned out to be perfectly nice and great with lobster lunch.

For dinner, 2011 Terrebrune Bandol. I knew it was too young so I decanted for hours. Was still a bit like licking a wool sweater.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The only thing of mild interest for me yesterday was I cracked a mag of 2010 Merry Edwards Meredith Estates. Good enough for a wine lover but approachable for the casual drinker and didn't break the bank.

Doing left over cassoulet for dinner tonight and thinking about having that last Muga GR in the cellar.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1999 Leontetti merlot was outstanding. I've not tasted very many well-aged wines, but to me it seemed in a really good spot. Still some fruit hanging around, but very complex with a lot of tertiary flavors and aromas. I was SHOCKED at the great condition the cork was in - I might post a picture if I can find it. It looked and felt very much like a new cork, except the end was well and deeply stained and had some sediment. The contrast with the 2012 merlot (Red Mountain, not Leonetti) was very worthwhile.

I severely underestimated how much wine people would drink. This crowd (of 6, but we were expecting 10) is not usually heavy wine drinkers but throughout the afternoon and evening we went through the 2 merlots, 2 pinots, 1 chianti, 2 bottles of vouvray (both slightly corked I think), half a bottle of sryah, and a bottle of prosecco. Plus many cocktails later in the night. I probably only had 4-5 glasses of wine over the day and a small whisky after dinner, as I did almost the entirety of the cooking. We had a blast, but I think I'll have a significantly better today than the rest of them!

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have an 82 Pichon Lalande, a 90 Montrose, an 83 Beaucastel and an 89 Vieux Telegraph pulled. We'll probably drink a couple of those. We'll probably drink all of them actually. And some Champagne.
The 90 Montrose was a good bottle, not great. The better bottles I've had have had deeper fruit than this one, but it was still solid and showing some nice secondary characteristics. The PL was also more advanced than other bottles I've had. It was more on the lighter claret end of the spectrum. I had this at a free for all wine dinner a couple of years ago and it was the wine of the night, which was impressive considering some of the other wines on the table. I didn't open either of the CdPs, but opened a 99 Faurie Hermitage, which was corked, and a Selosse BdB which was big, rich and got better the longer it was open. I finished the night with a 1994 Zind Humbrecht Clos Jebsal SGN, which was nice if a bit flabby.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HiTime is doing 10% of all German and Austrian right now

PM me for contact info- I don't think they listed it on the website.

Last edited:

zhouyu

Reaction score
5Y0ID4H.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Already pulled the trigger on a case.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I snagged half a case. It looks promising.

Last edited:

dwlbu

Reaction score
Yup, I picked some up too. Love other Chehalem/Ribbon Ridge 2014s I've tried, this could be a real home run at that price.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and the women in her family love Pinot Noir (and especially Oregon ones), so I put in for a case as well. Price was hard to beat, but I've noticed that I'm more than willing to get a case of wine from FP on a whim but if I go to a store/order elsewhere I'm much more hesitant. No idea what that's about

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an FP Pinot from Argentina last night. Think the price was $10 and it was pretty damn drinkable. Rather reminded me of some light, fruity Spatburgunders I used to be able to source locally but he's gone out of business.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to be in NY next week, any specific wine stores to check out? Or wines only available in that region (might pick up some Hermann Wiemer)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member