• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I totally agree that it came out a touch short. I'm kind of beating myself up about it because I WAS aiming for classic length. Live and learn I guess. Just an expensive lesson...

I will probably be wearing it casually with jeans most of the time, so I think the slightly shorter length will be pretty acceptable in that context. Now I guess I have to learn how to make my pants fit better
shog[1].gif

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Now I guess I have to learn how to make my pants fit better
shog[1].gif

Honestly, don't worry about the length, it looks perfectly good.

For the trousers - the easy combination would be something like a lighter grey flannel, pressed. Pretty much any conventional fitting trouser with a tapered leg and a crease is going to look sharper here (and fit with the jacket/tie/shirt etc). Those trousers are just a little baggy, no crease, so just seem to casual in contrast. Just IMO.

Happy tweeding!

90 degrees outside, blasts AC to wear tweed.
facepalm.gif
crackup[1].gif
Ha! It has dropped to around 18C max over here now, so I am pretty much tweed everyday...

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words. I totally agree that it came out a touch short. I'm kind of beating myself up about it because I WAS aiming for classic length. Live and learn I guess. Just an expensive lesson...

I will probably be wearing it casually with jeans most of the time, so I think the slightly shorter length will be pretty acceptable in that context. Now I guess I have to learn how to make my pants fit better
shog%5B1%5D.gif

What the heck are you talking about? That jacket looks perfect. Not too long, not too short. Just right. Very Goldilocks. :thumbs-up:

And yes, there's nothing wrong at all with learning to make your pants fit better. Embrace it.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I need to stop obsessing over the fit and just start to enjoy wearing the jacket.

Now I have to start saving up for a pair of grey flannel pants.

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I need to stop obsessing over the fit and just start to enjoy wearing the jacket.

Now I have to start saving up for a pair of grey flannel pants.
Absolutely, wise words from Veremund. A tweed jacket is really a great companion, it can be dressed up and down, and taken almost anywhere, great for travelling with as well (pockets, hard wearing). There is a lot to be said for enjoying it and not overthinking the fit. None of my jackets fit 'to perfection', but make a pretty good job at it, and I love wearing them.

re: grey flannels, they're a staple really, you can't go wrong with them. It's useful to have 2-3 pairs of different shades, if you wear them often. I also have some lightweight donegal tweed trousers which fit a similar purpose/look, but it does depend upon your climate as well.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice selections at my favorite B&M source of clothing. Wish I could afford one of each.

Some are genuine tweed, woven in Scotland or Ireland, others are Italian sourced "faux tweed"

Tailoring by Hicky Freeman, Samuesohn and Ralph Lauren.

While I love some (or all!) of the bolder tweeds, I ended up with the staple, black/herringbone, woven in Scotland, tailored by Samuesohn, nice soft-ish shoulder, single breasted, dual vents..... (Fifth from the left) Pretty much perfect.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some details of my most recent tweed acquisition. The cloth is from Hunter's of Brora (but apparently actually made by Johnston's of Elgin). The tailoring is by Steed. We thought we'd try something a little different for the jacket, rather than just make a standard tweed coat. So we added an action back (but no half-belt), hacking pockets, and a single button closure. I ended up with something that is quite distinctive, I think:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Katniss and I.

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket and tie, L L Bean OCBD shirt, Jim Thompson pocket square. Orvis moleskin trousers, and Allen-Edmonds khaki grain McTavishes.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics