• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

MrSmith

Reaction score
Vexing Conundrum

See Exhibit A.

Harris Tweed Jacket in Blue/Grey that needs a good iron, a present from ebay.

It fits well, I like the roping, colour, weight, rear vents, sleeve length, even the gorge is nice and straight for once.

but the lapels.

UGH!!! those lapels!!!

What's a Chap to do?

do I

A) wear and be damned (and feel unconfortable as I think it's so fuddy duddy looking)
B) add another button and get the iron out, to make the lapels smaller and higher (but still a bit old fashioned)
C) get the lapels adjusted by a tailor - if it can be done.

*CAN* it be done?

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Vexing Conundrum See Exhibit A. Harris Tweed Jacket in Blue/Grey that needs a good iron, a present from ebay. It fits well, I like the roping, colour, weight, rear vents, sleeve length, even the gorge is nice and straight for once. but the lapels. UGH!!! those lapels!!!
What's a Chap to do? do I A) wear and be damned (and feel unconfortable as I think it's so fuddy duddy looking) B) add another button and get the iron out, to make the lapels smaller and higher (but still a bit old fashioned) C) get the lapels adjusted by a tailor - if it can be done. *CAN* it be done?
So, your objection to the lapels is that they're too big?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They don't look that large to me, but the proportions are somewhat distorted by the hard-three configuration. That same width, rolled to two, wouldn't look so fat. To answer your question, if there's no buttonhole on the lapel (can't tell from your picture) the width can be narrowed. This would likely require reconstructing a fair bit to avoid an oddly skimpy notch. Your best bet is to ask a local tailor or perhaps post in the Ask A Tailor thread here on StyleForum.

loanshark

Reaction score
Today
e4uqy4y5.jpg
agate3an.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos.

MrSmith

Reaction score
Thanks SugarButch,

the more I look at it I think the best thing is to go with the jacket as is, and not fuss about it like an old woman. from the 80s and proud! still needs an iron though, job for the evening :)

J011yroger

Reaction score
From this week's challenge. Normally I stick with the brown/tan/blue tweed until December, but I thought this looked better with the scarf.

J

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from WAYWRN

Fall weather here:

Harris Tweed 3 piece suit: Beckett & Robb
Tie: Hober
Pocket Square: Generic silk
Shoes: Trickers
Shirt: WW Chan
Cufflinks: Vintage gold, jade, and scarab beetle carapace
Watch: Revue Thommen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics