• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takai

Reaction score
Time for some delicious southern style pancakes, and to get this thrifting show on the road.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure we're not the appropriate crowd to talk about ethics, since we buy used clothes donated by rich people, to be used by poor people who can't afford it, and we make profits out of them on the interwebz :/ And as dapper said, we're not the good persons to talk about laws either since most of us aren't lawyers in Moo's state... (let alone country ahah)
I also see nothing unethical about thrifting for resale. Poor people aren't looking for Kiton sport coats.

rhz5001

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we're not the appropriate crowd to talk about ethics, since we buy used clothes donated by rich people, to be used by poor people who can't afford it, and we make profits out of them on the interwebz :/

And as dapper said, we're not the good persons to talk about laws either since most of us aren't lawyers in Moo's state... (let alone country ahah)
I have come to realize most places I shop at are for profit. So really I could be considered Robin Hood.

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have come to realize most places I shop at are for profit. So really I could be considered Robin Hood. 

I hope you're not stealing stuff as Robin Hood did tho :p

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure we're not the appropriate crowd to talk about ethics, since we buy used clothes donated by rich people, to be used by poor people who can't afford it, and we make profits out of them on the interwebz :/ And as dapper said, we're not the good persons to talk about laws either since most of us aren't lawyers in Moo's state... (let alone country ahah)
That's not what a thrift store is at all. They are selling donated items at market rate and using the proceeds to fund charitable endeavors. No thrift store I am aware of would knowingly take an item that they could sell for hundreds of dollars and price it cheap because (some of their) their clientele is low income. Ace_Face, Esq. (licensed in Ohio and Michigan)

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all makes sense now. Na-ta-ku...Nau-ti-ca. What you did there, I see it.
smile.gif

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not taking a side, but this does make me curious about exactly how property law and rights of ownership apply in this and similar situations.  For instance, if I'm given the jacket as a gift, I have the right to return it to the store of purchase (depending on that particular store's policy).  But what if a buddy is hard up for cash and sells it to me for half its value (in this hypothetical situation, said acquaintance for some reason refuses to return the jacket himself and receive the full value).  Having purchased the jacket, am I unable to take the jacket to the store and acquire a refund for the jacket's original purchase price?  If I CAN take the jacket to the store in that situation, is the only reason to disagree with Moo's action because it went through one more intermediary which happened to be a charity/consignment of some sort?

W
as really looking at it as a discussion of hypotheticals and principles, not for a clear cut answer. If people feel the right to accuse a forum member of theft and fraud, I would expect a well-reasoned argument to back up that position. Again, let me clarify that I'm not taking sides, but am curious about the reasons why people took the sides that they did.

(Need some sort of poking a bear gif)

Guys, we've been over this so many times before. Everyone has a view. It's morally ambiguous -- each must be his own guide.
Legally it will vary from state/country/store (return policy) to state/country/store.

Just keep in mind that SOMEONE paid for that jacket initially and the store gets the goods BACK. So as long as it came from Nordstroms initially, they're in exactly the same place as if a gift had been returned. Exactly the same place.

And DC is right, we can't dispense specific client advice without running the risk of creating an attorney client privilege and all sorts of other complications. But we certainly can discuss legal principles in abstract. Just as long as we're all clear that nobody is seeking or rendering legal advice.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, we've been over this so many times before. Everyone has a view. It's morally ambiguous -- each must be his own guide.
Legally it will vary from state/country/store (return policy) to state/country/store.

Just keep in mind that SOMEONE paid for that jacket initially and the store gets the goods BACK. So as long as it came from Nordstroms initially, they're in exactly the same place as if a gift had been returned. Exactly the same place.

And DC is right, we can't dispense specific client advice without running the risk of creating an attorney client privilege and all sorts of other complications. But we certainly can discuss legal principles in abstract. Just as long as we're all clear that nobody is seeking or rendering legal advice.

This logic has been used by everyone from Lance Armstrong to Adolf Hitler.

There's nothing ambiguous about consumer law, and it does not vary substantially from state to sate (possibly country by country, but I know that the OP lives in my state).

I'd be interested to know what a Nordstrom's lawyer would do with the information provided by him....

Edit to add:
Why is it any different to some folks here that he bought the coat at a thrift shop? What if he had bought it at Neiman Marcus for $30 and returned it to Nordstrom for $1065?

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's nothing ambiguous about consumer law, and it does not vary substantially from state to sate (possibly country by country, but I know that the OP lives in my state).

I'd be interested to know what a Nordstrom's lawyer would do with the information provided by him....

Edit to add:

Why is it any different to some folks here that he bought the coat at a thrift shop? What if he had bought it at Neiman Marcus for $30 and returned it to Nordstrom for $1065?

...how did Hitler apply that logic? Also, I think that GMMcL had it the nature of the transaction correct - jacket is purchased at store A, donated to thrift B, bought for super cheap then returned to store A. The original store ended up with the goods again, so they would be whole, no matter whose hands the jacket passed through.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent time in the rush line for The Prairie Home Companion (Highly recommended for your MN guys!).

Very cool! I've listened on NPR for years and read a few of his books - being from Wisco I can relate.

Haha, it was actually not a bad jacket but looking back on what I paid for it, I cringe. I recall paying $100 for it at the Nautica outlet store.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I went looking for a picture of it (I brought it with me when I went to Japan in 2002 so I knew I had a picture somewhere). Not the same, but close enough. Funny looking back at how stylish I thought I was. Nautica jacket, whisker-wash GAP jeans, Doc Martin lace-to-toe boots....
rolleyes.gif

At least you look normal for the times. In high school I shopped at Chess King and Merry-Go-Round (think parachute pants and sleeveless shirts with checkerboard prints)...that's the last time I ever bought anything that was a passing fashion fad.

BB is defs Lardini as I believe someone already said. I really like this French Harris Tweed. The color is pretty amazing.

And that art!!!!!!!

Thank you for confirming Lardini!
I pass on almost every Harris Tweed I see these days unless it's interesting - and this one definitely was.
Re: the Verdult hoard (or maybe call it TheNeedMachine hoard lol):
Why would anybody fake art valued at $800 to $1200? I think they're likely real - it's not like you think you found the Mona Lisa after all. They also look like they might be oil pastels (maybe mixed with chalk pastels?) but an appraiser would be able to tell you what the actual medium is. I do wonder how you plan to turn them around... do you mind a pm?

Hmm - oil pastels, they may be. Anything beyond plain oils, watercolors or acrylics and I have no idea. Sent an email to an art history friend - will see what they have to say.
Re: turning them around, have had some dealings with a gallery in Santa Monica in the past - going to hit them up to see if there's any interest.
Feel free to PM.

Saw this label in the wild for the first time yesterday - did not kop - they apparently Googled it and priced accordingly:

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a good Oscar De La Renta right?

RIGHT?

Probs an orphan, but at least it's got triple patch pockets. Plus dual exhaust.

Dat handwork.

Dose buttonholes

Hey wait, that looks familiar...

Made to Order in 2009 I'm assuming.

Martin Greenfield? For Oscar de La Renta? What the hell?

Edit: but no MG on the tag. Does that matter? Does this mean Oscar tailored it himself?

Last edited:

FlorianQC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... Coming from someone's whose grandfather almost died in a concentration camp, I think we should stop this silly debate before going too far
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads