• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

costanaconda

Reaction score
Some recent pickups.
Oxxford Black Blazer 42 S:

BB Made in USA OCBD 17 36 x 3:

100% Cashmere SC 40 S:

J. Crew, BB, BB, Vineyard Vines, Vineyard Vines, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ferrell Reed, Paul Stuart:

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question: if they are going to fake a garment, what's stoping them from faking the content tag?? Seems silly for them to leave that honesty on the tag when all else is fake.
They didn't, they replicated every inch to a T. The reals and fakes were entirely identical, every aspect, because a lot of the time, they had the same tailors working on both. Or they would hire one tailor from the real factory and have them come over and show the other guys how to do everything exactly. You gonna say no to the Comorrah? If there is one group of people in the world you don't say no to, is the most feared and powerful Mafia in Naples/Italy/World

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali made Christian Dior. One Montaigne and one Boutique Paris. Worth it?

ehhhhh its not Hedi/ Homme / I'm putting it right back where it was... but that's me

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at what point ($) do you need to claim money made from thrift sales as taxable income? i think i'm under $10k for this year but not 100% sure. i don't keep track as well as i should.

slyguyWT2

Reaction score
at what point ($) do you need to claim money made from thrift sales as taxable income? i think i'm under $10k for this year but not 100% sure. i don't keep track as well as i should.

eBay keeps track for you on the Outright app. It's free. PP automatically generates a 1099 if you breach 20K.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eBay keeps track for you on the Outright app.  It's free.  PP automatically generates a 1099 if you breach 20K. 

There is no minimum rule for the IRS - if you make $1, you report it. Just because PayPal isn't reporting you doesnt negate a need to file. If you made 10k and didn't report it because PayPal didn't generate a 1099, and were audited for some reason, you would be ************ with the IRS.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its to your benefit to report any income made via selling. If you made 10k this year, you can probably deduct more than 10k from expenses that were required to generate your 10k sales. So that is a benefit to you.

Once you report your 10k made through eBay, you can deduct expense all your eBay fees, paypal fees, shipping costs, cost of goods (thrifting purchases), internet, phone, possibly a portion of your mortgage (place of business), and anything else that has to do with making the 10k. Office expenses (lights, backdrop, camera, computer). Meals & Entertainment is a big one for me
peepwall[1].gif
...guilty.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its to your benefit to report any income made via selling. If you made 10k this year, you can probably deduct more than 10k from expenses that were required to generate your 10k sales. So that is a benefit to you.

Once you report your 10k made through eBay, you can deduct expense all your eBay fees, paypal fees, shipping costs, cost of goods (thrifting purchases), internet, phone, possibly a portion of your mortgage (place of business), and anything else that has to do with making the 10k. Office expenses (lights, backdrop, camera, computer). Meals & Entertainment is a big one for me
peepwall[1].gif
...guilty.

They can't expect me to thrift all day and not eat 3 square meals!

Last edited:

SpecialK2k12

Reaction score
Don't forget mileage.

While we are on the topic of taxes is the consensus here that we have to use the accrual method since we have inventory? Reading IRS Publication 538 seems pretty clear on that one. Does anyone have a better way to track inventory than a massive spreadsheet? I'm already using Outright to track expenses/income but it doesn't look like there is a good way to split those transactions and keep track of inventory with that. If there is a plugin or something else I'd love to hear about it.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its to your benefit to report any income made via selling.  If you made 10k this year, you can probably deduct more than 10k from expenses that were required to generate your 10k sales.  So that is a benefit to you.

Once you report your 10k made through eBay, you can deduct expense all your eBay fees, paypal fees, shipping costs, cost of goods (thrifting purchases), internet, phone, possibly a portion of your mortgage (place of business), and anything else that has to do with making the 10k.  Office expenses (lights, backdrop, camera, computer).  Meals & Entertainment is a big one for me 
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
...guilty.

Does this mean you have to been saving all your receipts from the thrifts?

Do any of you guys do this?

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eBay keeps track for you on the Outright app. It's free. PP automatically generates a 1099 if you breach 20K.

First of all I'll answer the second. Yes, every single one, and at first documented each in Excel, moved onto Quick Books, but am now suprisingly using Go Daddys Finance Program. It is insanely efficient keeps track of your paypal account, your paypal fees, ebay fees, travel expenses, how much taxes you'll owe at the quarter, how much profit you made that week, where your money is being allocated most. As long as you use your paypal account almost solely as your thrifting account, that **** is simple and gets the job done. Paypal doesn't do **** for you. It doesn't even give you total fees it charges per months on its invoices, it just lists each one individually, its a pain ********** using Paypal. If you already have a godaddy account, try using it, youll get hooked. I know exactly what I need for my quarterly sales, it allows you to document indvidual expenditures as what they were...i.e. parking=travel=business write off. Meals and entertainment, business expense=write off. And it has all these options built right in making it a really easy interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads