1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Picked up a few ties this weekend. Second time I've found a NWT tie at this thrift store. The other one was a Zegna. Also picked up 2 BB ties, but no pictures as I'm prob keeping those.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wait, you found a Kiton tux?! :wow:
    It all depends. I know a few places around here that claim they are a charity but a good chunk of the money goes to the big whig's paychecks. I'm mostly upset because when they price garbage at high prices, it clogs up the racks and slows down turnover. These places get so many donations, they should focus more on moving the stuff at reasonable prices and keep new items coming out onto the floor. Nobody is going to buy a polyester Stafford Super Suit for $60. It's going to sit on the rack and take up space.
    Hmm, perhaps they were samples or seconds and the labels were removed? That's about the only reason I can think of. Regarding trading: The trading thread died because most of the trading goes on right here. Someone sees something they like or posts up something they bought to pass on, then the PMs get exchanged and so on. Works great. I found a gorgeous glen plaid suit jacket today from Luciano Barbera Sartoriale for Louis, Boston. Made by Attolini. Tons of handwork. Double breasted, 6/2 button front. No pants :fu:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Well-Known Member

It is the other tag is stitch under xxx tag.

A question for you guys posting the Oxxford stuff. Should I be picking up everything Oxxford I find that is in good condition? I saw a pair of pants the other day (I think french gabardine) dated 1997. I assumed that was to old to have any value. Should I grab those?

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

There is a lot of older stuff floating around. I see a lot of dated lapels on oxxford, and avoid. The new stuff is amazing though. Pants might be an ok pick up, depending on the fabric/pattern/cut.

Check the going rate on ebay for a better idea on pricing.

5. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Well-Known Member

oxxford in good condition and cheap is always worth the pickup. You won't make a fortune on ebay, but you will make enough for you to purchase stuff that you really need. There are always those out there who buy brands such as oxxford, some even want the vintage pieces.

6. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Couple of things:

Gianni Campagna navy blazer, single-vented, ticket pocket, surgeon's cuffs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kiton cashmere DB, older but super-soft, unvented:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. woolnotmutton

nice, so that is what a campagna tag looks like :p

how old would you say that kiton is?

8. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

1990's model by looks of it. About 15 - 20 years old.

9. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw an Isaia tux a few months ago. I didn't get it because it had working buttonholes and it wasn't my size.

10. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

I am committed to picking up great tuxedo's now. I do need them for work every 6 months or so, but I have found a tux has higher level of tailoring than a traditional suit.....= hot action.

Yes, I saw one at my honeyhole, and I did not pick it up. I :fu: about it.

11. woolnotmutton

Ya, this was what I was thinking too. Will need a tux for future events. Have been seeing quite a few though non name brands lately.

12. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

Walked away from a very recent Burberry sport coat
    and an Oxxford SC wool/cashmere today, they were $20
    each.

13. cincydavid

cincydavid Well-Known Member

The garden spot of the universe, Cincinnati OH, US
    My latest find...a pair of nearly-new Brooks Brothers plain toe bluchers in shell cordovan, $20 at the Goodwill store in beautiful Batesville Indiana. They had big thick athletic-style insole inserts in them, which tells me the original owner got the size wrong and couldn't get them to work for him. Frankly, the heels slip on me too, but for $20 I'll try breaking them in and resort to a tongue pad or something if I can't get them to cooperate.

14. woolnotmutton

Do you recall the size on these?

15. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Bought three Charvet ties. They are likely fake, but I like the patterns and will wear them with impunity.

16. Dozz

Dozz New Member

Hey guys first post, long time lurker. I found some Ralph Lauren Chukkas today, however i cant seem to find any information on them. They feel like pretty decent quality and are in great shape. Can anyone give me a style name or anything? Alsol, they are made in U.S.A. if that helps, Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Nothing earthshattering, but some nice staples stuff today. Got a no-name button up cardigan because it was nice and thick and had a cool "varsity" style pattern, and fit me like an absolute glove and I've been looking for a cheap cardigan for awhile now. Looked up the brand when I got home, and apparently it's a high school uniform maker...oops, lol. Ask me if I care. It still looks great on me and I will rock that shit with the utmost steez.

Quick question: this shirt is Golden Fleece, right? It's got the GF logo, but the tag doesn't say it anywhere so I wasn't sure. It feels way thicker/better quality than any other BB shirt I've handled so I thought it must be. This logo is only on the BBGF shirts right?

I'm very careful about throwing around the "NWOT" phrase, but I really think this one is. It looks entirely unworn and unwashed, and no dry cleaner tags like on pretty much every decent shirt I find at this particular store. Not an errant thread in sight.

[​IMG]

Also got this nice YSL shirt in my size, also in fantastic condition

[​IMG]

Finally, a holiday-appropriate PRL tie. Very festive :-D

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also forgot, found a nice white Gitman Bros OCBD too.

18. woolnotmutton

how did you know they are fake? I didn't think that the far east has moved in the charvet territory yet..

pretty sure golden fleece says golden fleece on them, also they have MOP buttons. What you picked up is a sport shirt. Retail under $90.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=297

best I've picked up was a BB country club shirt.. made of Italian fabrics. MOP buttons, considered luxury in their shirt lists.

19. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Well-Known Member

Agree with Wool...the BB is just a normal button down. I do like the pattern and the logo on it. I can honestly say I've never come across any with the logo in my many travels :nodding:

20. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

I'll post pictures for analysis ASAP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.