• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Thanks! That's two in 2 days. Guess I'll be looking at ties again tomorrow.
Ties were my gateway drug into this whole mess. Fast forward to now and I have an inventory of probably around 20 jackets, 60 shirts, and maybe 6-8 pairs of shoes to sell.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I almost always do but it takes so damn long and rarely find something worth grabbing.

My approach if they aren't arranged nicely and the labels are facing inward on a rack or something is just to look for stuff that looks reasonably wearable to help trim down the time commitment in flipping through them - hideous or visibly stained/worn ties don't even get looked at for a quality label, which I'm sure makes me miss the occasional find but meh...ugly/stained ties just aren't worth the effort 99x/100.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only found a few things over the past week but we did manage to get a away for a day or so for the long weekend to the ole homestead. It's been in the family for almost 100 years. These are three of my kids walking through a field of barley.

On to the finds. An aztec/navajo pattern United Colors of Benetton. Made in Italy. It's so busy I missed the hole near the cuff. :censored:

Mint late '50s to early-'60s varsity collared cardigan.

I'm going to try an experiment, probably on etsy. Fur is coming back. I see a lot of fur but much of it ratty and ragged, not a lot of premium stuff. But I though I'd test the waters. Vintage muskrat coat. Looks ratty in the photo but it's in VG condition, including the lining. Oh, and if you want to read about the resurgence in fur, here ya go:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...thanks-to-demand-from-chinas-new-capitalists/
All about rich Chinese driving up prices.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm in Suffolk county around exit 61 off of the LIE. Are you in NY?

Nice, NY yes. I rarely make it out that far but the Salvation Army in Riverhead is pretty good sometimes.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ties were my gateway drug into this whole mess. Fast forward to now and I have an inventory of probably around 20 jackets, 60 shirts, and maybe 6-8 pairs of shoes to sell.

No offense but that's nothing. I've about 15 jackets, 20 suits, 60 shirts and 40 pair of shoes :(

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My introduction to this sordid life was a Hawaiian shirt, of all things...bought for $2, sold for $150. Been chasing that high ever since.

My approach if they aren't arranged nicely and the labels are facing inward on a rack or something is just to look for stuff that looks reasonably wearable to help trim down the time commitment in flipping through them - hideous or visibly stained/worn ties don't even get looked at for a quality label, which I'm sure makes me miss the occasional find but meh...ugly/stained ties just aren't worth the effort 99x/100.

I scoop up the full rack and start flipping backsides - I used to only look at the first few and last few on each rack, since some GW's put their recent ties on the front and others stick them in the back, but I've found keepers in the middle as well. I gotta look at them all (obsessive that way) - ugly ties have yielded a couple peek-a-boo ties that I never would have bought just by looking at the fronts. I've gotten far more choosy and don't grab every BB / PRL / Talbott / etc tie I see...used to walk out with 10 or 12 easy, now it's 1 if I'm lucky and I leave behind those I have learned do not sell, or wouldn't want for myself. I estimate I looked at 800+ ties in the last three days and came home with 4 - two Hermes, one Brioni, and one vintage BB Makers self-tipped wool. Pimpin' ain't easy.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dear (your username here),

You are formally invited to join in on Round 4 of the Thrift Scavenger Hunt. For whatever reason, you may not have been a participant in the first 3 rounds, but we would love to have you show up for the next round! Round 4 will be played in the same fashion as Round 3, with all new items to challenge you. The goal of "The Hunt" is not only to be the winner, but to force you to look in places of the thrift shops they might not normally look. Places where you may just find something else worth grabbing.

If you are interested in joining Round 4 please RSVP HERE. We will begin the next round as soon as we can get increased participation. The more the merrier!

Why are you still reading this??!?!!? What are you waiting for?

Thanks,
Capnwes
(Undefeated Scavenger Hunt Champion)

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense but that's nothing. I've about 15 jackets, 20 suits, 60 shirts and 40 pair of shoes
frown.gif

Heh - cue Wes with some estimates of his stock.

Personally I'd rather have less to unload, than more...meaning, stuff sells and no sad faces for having too much.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No offense but that's nothing. I've about 15 jackets, 20 suits, 60 shirts and 40 pair of shoes :(

No offense but thats nothing. I've about 150 jackets, 75 suits, 300 shirts, 500 ties, 120 sweaters, 25 pants, 40 pieces of outerwear, 60 pairs of shoes, and 250 pieces of womens.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
rotflmao.gif

Quote: That's what I've always called them anyway
puzzled.gif

Dear (your username here),

You are formally invited to join in on Round 4 of the Thrift Scavenger Hunt. For whatever reason, you may not have been a participant in the first 3 rounds, but we would love to have you show up for the next round! Round 4 will be played in the same fashion as Round 3, with all new items to challenge you. The goal of "The Hunt" is not only to be the winner, but to force you to look in places of the thrift shops they might not normally look. Places where you may just find something else worth grabbing.

If you are interested in joining Round 4 please RSVP HERE. We will begin the next round as soon as we can get increased participation. The more the merrier!

Why are you still reading this??!?!!? What are you waiting for?
Congrats to Wes who won an awesome Isaia Lapel Pin for Round 3! Why there were only 4 participants I have no clue as everyone seems to like free Isaia items.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No offense but thats nothing. I've about 150 jackets, 75 suits, 300 shirts, 500 ties, 120 sweaters, 25 pants, 40 pieces of outerwear, 60 pairs of shoes, and 250 pieces of womens.
well, I saw THAT coming a mile away.

Someone asked about pictures. Honestly, other than finding, that's my favorite part. I could do that for hours. Sometimes my eldest helps. Good times....

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No offense but that's nothing.

JK. I'm right there with you....just delete the 250 womens pieces and add it to the jackets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads