• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are a thing yeah?

YES! One of the holy grains of swd finds. Up there with visvim. If you feel like passing them on to a thread member, and are a 33ish, send me a pm. However they will fetch very good eBay money, the likes of which I couldn't offer you.

messenger309

Reaction score
Big shout out to STEVE KANE for not one, but two beautiful sport coats that fit like they were made for me! Wore the cashmere today but the Camel Hair may have to wait until fall :).

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Been Having a lot of luck in scoring SCs and now a nice suit :)
Harry Rosen - Made In Italy 42R - Very Light Wool from Loro Piana (Very Light shoulders) - $20 Thrift a couple hours ago
Looking for feedback, no need to be gentle

My Stats
6'1
175lbs
40R usually
34x32

Last edited:

Aidan K

Reaction score
Nothing that exciting from a lunch time stop. An Hermes tie (yay!) with a big coffee spill on the blade (boo), a couple of useful shirts (Etro, Pink, BB) and a staple charcoal BB suit (untagged, guessing it is around a 44-46). I'll get some picks up after work.

roquesoon

Reaction score
Harry Rosen - Made In Italy 42R - Very Light Wool from Loro Piana (Very Light shoulders) - $20 Thrift a couple hours ago

Probably best to post in the tailors thread if you haven't already, but off the top of my head, the shoulders do look slightly wide for your frame. Pants need hemming, but the back could probably be cleaned up a bit as well. Jacket length is good, but the quarters are really closed/square looking. Makes you look a bit boxy. Some nipping at the waist might help the silhouette. Beautiful suit though. IMHO worth a trip or two to the tailor's to try and get it just right.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been Having a lot of luck in scoring SCs and now a nice suit :) Harry Rosen - Made In Italy 42R - Very Light Wool from Loro Piana (Very Light shoulders) - $20 Thrift a couple hours ago
My Stats 6'1 175lbs 40R usually 34x32
Probably best to post in the tailors thread if you haven't already, but off the top of my head, the shoulders do look slightly wide for your frame. Pants need hemming, but the back could probably be cleaned up a bit as well. Jacket length is good, but the quarters are really closed/square looking. Makes you look a bit boxy. Some nipping at the waist might help the silhouette. Beautiful suit though. IMHO worth a trip or two to the tailor's to try and get it just right.
Agreed. Some appropriate footwear would have been useful re: pants length, though.
In the wild.
Well done!

Last edited:

green_machine

Reaction score

Is that unvented? before you put a bunch of money into making it fit correctly, make sure you are cool with wearing a slightly dated style. just my $0.02

Aidan K

Reaction score
Hermes with coffee stain on blade (kinda visible in middle of 2nd photo, more prominent in real life). I think if folded carefully the stain is invisible, will have to play. All available for trade.

Pink (16.5 36):

Etro (burgundy and light blue with grey paisley; tagged 38)

Brooks Brothers Suit (measures 23" pit to pit, trousers are 18" across the waist). Single vent, great nick. Any information about age/model type from union tag? Not that exciting, but its a start.

Last edited:

scotchman

Reaction score

Bought these shoes yesterday for 8 bucks total :)
Any suggestions on combinations for the brown and black ones? I want to make sure I don't put it with the wrong color suit and it look stupid.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought these shoes yesterday for 8 bucks total
smile.gif

Any suggestions on combinations for the brown and black ones? I want to make sure I don't put it with the wrong color suit and it look stupid.

Black and brown goes with almost anything but from the pic, the pair on the right doesn't look exactly like brown...Maybe I need my glasses...

Last edited:

JabbaTheSlut

Reaction score
I hit a couple of GW's while I was out shipping some stuff. I'm not disappointed.

Pretty nice Hickey Freeman, great pattern.

Another HF but with Loro Piana Super 130's

Special edition(?) Member's Only jacket

Baller Brioni polo, engraved MOP buttons

Decent TB linen shirt with nice thick buttons

RT Polo, MOP buttons

Sick RG polo, it has the same green and blue pattern on the sleeves as well.

Gaudy TR shoes but they sell well, so why not?

Also picked up some okay ties, nothing really exciting enough to post.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm back in Maryland and off my jet lag, and I've tried my hands at MD thrifts... they're... horrendously disappointing. The staff staples tags to lapels, not that the suits were worth the 40+ dollars they charge for them anyways. Incredibly lame :( Only finds that were anything close to decent were ruined (AJ Suit and Lorenzini shirt). The only goodwill I've been to (By Dobbin) is pathetic. I declare fail. Squared.

MD Thrifters: Recommend me hunting grounds within half an hour of Clarksville, MD (Howard County) that are big, well-stocked, and won't make me want to facepalm when I see their prices?

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Banana Republic (cotton/cashmere)

Brooks Brothers

PRL

Brooks Brothers

Brooks Brothers

Incotex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads