• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: WHAT!? You just learnt that you have FREE access to ebay completed listings which is an invaluable resource if you want to spend the time to research and do the due-diligence about items you will encounter or have encountered in a thrift store. You can see items, pricing, what sells, what dosnt sell, etc etc etc etc.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this Zegna sport coat because the fabric stood out like a spotlight from all the other crap at the thrift store. It's too big for me, but I was hoping to flip. Upon checking the eBay completed listings, however, it doesn't look like Zegna gets so much love. Would any of you experts recommend me trying to flip, or returning it for my $18?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you trolling? He's saying he already knew about completed listings so your comment added zero value, since the help he thought you were giving him (the existence of some fictional "ebay gold") turned out be nothing more than dickery.

WHAT!? You just learnt that you have FREE access to ebay completed listings which is an invaluable resource if you want to spend the time to research and do the due-diligence about items you will encounter or have encountered in a thrift store. You can see items, pricing, what sells, what dosnt sell, etc etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I just picked up this Zegna sport coat because the fabric stood out like a spotlight from all the other crap at the thrift store. It's too big for me, but I was hoping to flip. Upon checking the eBay completed listings, however, it doesn't look like Zegna gets so much love. Would any of you experts recommend me trying to flip, or returning it for my $18?

Take good pictures, find the right buyer and I see $50 easy!! Then the question is.....is $32_ gross profit OK, take out ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping, taxes on net profit.... might not be worth your time

Are you trolling? He's saying he already knew about completed listings so your comment added zero value, since the help he thought you were giving him (the existence of some fictional "ebay gold") turned out be nothing more than dickery.
Quote: You make me laugh. I really have no clue what your problem is with me.... it's like every other day you're on my back about something. You're the only freaking one. Seriously no clue what I did to you. I have busted ****** the last two years not only to learn the hobby/business which I think I've gotten pretty damn good at, but also to help others and help the forum in general. PM me if there is an underlying issue I missed between us which I am blind to.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Offer it up here for trade or on the cheap + future goodwill. I guarantee there will be takers.

Last edited:

aglose

Reaction score

Alden's for trade. Would prefer a light weight suit/sport coat but will take other offers (especially shoes in 9.5E).

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not targeting you holmes. You were unnecessarily sarcastic, so I just called it out. No need for a PM or even further posts over that.

Take good pictures, find the right buyer and I see $50 easy!! Then the question is.....is $32_ gross profit OK, take out ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping, taxes on net profit.... might not be worth your time

You make me laugh. I really have no clue what your problem is with me.... it's like every other day you're on my back about something. You're the only freaking one. Seriously no clue what I did to you. I have busted ****** the last two years not only to learn the hobby/business which I think I've gotten pretty damn good at, but also to help others and help the forum in general. PM me if there is an underlying issue I missed between us which I am blind to.

Alright, I'll add brags so this is actually a useful post.

Today:

Holland & Holland shirt
Recent-ish Versace sweater
RLPL navy blue polo
2x Recent side vented HF SCs (one cashmere blend, the other silk blend. Both nice windowpane patterns)
NWT Corneliani trous
Recent Canali patch pocket blue blazer
pure Cashmere BB sweater
awesome Orvis chocolate cord SC w/patch elbows, throat latch, stretched leather buttons
Recent Brooks navy blue cord SC
Recent PRL for Corneliani silk/linen glenplaid side vent/ticket pocket SC
flannel PRL flat front pants
Good Lanvin (?? remains to be seen) short sleeve shirt
Bills Khaki trim fit shirt
Incotex for EZ flat front green trous
Incotex for Faconnable grey trous
Tyrwhitt Sea Island in a nice pattern
Brooks Bros belt
Coach belt

Pics another time

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went thrifting with evil_abed
Noice!
If it's a 38R, I'll buy it off you. :happy: :stirpot: :smarmy: :hide:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are "all over" dosnt that give you a clue......you prob want to look for the stuff that is a little harder to find, just a thought. Second, do you have google or better yet a membership to ebay completed listings? I could help you out as I have google AND a special gold membership to ebay completed listings, but am busy listing things I actually spent time researching before buying, sorry.

Honestly 100% not trying to be a dick (hopefully the word dick dosnt start a 500 post tangent), but you make it very hard (see what I did there??)

I'm no expert, but a tad tight in the chest and either long in suit sleeves or short in shirt sleeves, I dont see any cuff sticking out. Pants look good though, IMO
biggrin.gif
There's the Brian we know. I was waiting for your response.
Exactly.

Edit: What I mean is: I've got my own on the fit. I don't buy stuff bespoke or even MTM. And I'm not prepared to pay $20 to have a sleeve taken up 0.5" -- especially since nobody other than the people on this website are ever going to notice. On here, I'm more focused on mastering color block and pattern/texture exploration.
I feel you, buddy. You can do what I do, wear a shirt that has sleeves a bit longer than what I usually wear or button the cuff at the outside button for a longer stretch.
Not targeting you holmes. You were unnecessarily sarcastic, so I just called it out. No need for a PM or even further posts over that.

Alright, I'll add brags so this is actually a useful post.

Today:

Holland & Holland shirt
Recent-ish Versace sweater
RLPL navy blue polo
2x Recent side vented HF SCs (one cashmere blend, the other silk blend. Both nice windowpane patterns)
NWT Corneliani trous
Recent Canali patch pocket blue blazer
pure Cashmere BB sweater
awesome Orvis chocolate cord SC w/patch elbows, throat latch, stretched leather buttons
Recent Brooks navy blue cord SC
Recent PRL for Corneliani silk/linen glenplaid side vent/ticket pocket SC
flannel PRL flat front pants

Good Lanvin (?? remains to be seen) short sleeve shirt
Bills Khaki trim fit shirt
Incotex for EZ flat front green trous
Incotex for Faconnable grey trous
Tyrwhitt Sea Island in a nice pattern
Brooks Bros belt
Coach belt

Pics another time
lurker[1].gif

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
He bought some stuff to flip from me on a Sunday that a big football game was going on. Mint Etro suit for like $80, super recent Givenchy plaid suit for $60, etc. Went insanely cheap. Not making that mistake again. Didn't stay tuned to watch what he flipped them for - ignorance is bliss.

Seriously, that Tisci-era Givenchy suit was one of the best finds I've ever seen posted here. **** that guy

Last edited:

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a 38R, I'll buy it off you. :happy: :stirpot: :smarmy: :hide:[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's more like a U.S. size 48. Taglia 59, according to the tag.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a thrift find but I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed to pop my cherry on high end smell-goodery. I got the 4 oz. bottle from FragranceNet.com and applied their on line 20% coupon and got free shipping. Less than $140 shipped to my door in less than a week. I did a lot of due diligence and I hope it's the real thing but at this point, I'm assuming that I'm good.

They included a couple of these cool folding mirror combs and a sample of some fragrance I never heard of before.

First application happens in less than an hour. Stoked!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics