• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size 4 is usually a medium. I learned that from the Ted Baker store. I'm not a big TB fan. I think the short sleeves and high water ankle pants look really ugly. You have to be thin and tall to pull that off. I'm neither nor do I have the douche bag sophistication to pull it off.

Also, the Prorsum stuff isn't that great. They are just selling the name and high fashion style. Another reason I'm not a big fan of Jil and Raf stuff. I prefer RLBL and Rag n Bone. Lately, I've been really digging Billy Reid. Of course, buying his stuff on clearance at Marshall's helped!

Oh yeah, the sending pics of cock part is pretty
crackup%5B1%5D.gif
uh can you imagine me wearing thom browne I really don't think it would look good on a tall skinny guy considering how even regular length things make me look like I am wearing my little brothers clothes... I find black label on the whole kind of ****** and overdesigned it just looks like really expensive h&m to me... rag and bone is a hit or miss, and billy reid consistently kills it with whole dapper southern dude thing.

Rag & Bone and Billy Reid should never be in the same sentence as Jil and Raf.
+1
as much as I appreciate billy reid and R&B for their wearability if I had the balls (and cash) to go out looking like a swd victim I would drape myself in jil and raf or just wear his sneakers for basketball games
lol8[1].gif

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who is discomforted by the use of that terminology for one's first acquisition of a brand, or more generally?  I've been tempted to use the term before because it's a convenient shorthand, but honestly it makes me feel misogynistic.  Never really commented on this before, but thought I would since you are taking the opportunity to use it in irony.

Yep, I was hesitant to use it, but I thought I'd feel better about it if I was joking about. So now I only feel kind of sleazy.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
My view is that if you bid less than 1/2 of the BINOBO price, you're an ass. I lowball people... Hell, that's how I picked up a Sharks jersey for $22 (off a $30 BINOBO price), but start with a fairly reasonable offer. The one I was lowballed on was a deadstock pair of pants for which I priced based on what a recent auction of the same thing in a less common size sold for. Dude also had the gall to ask if the pants had any stains or odors (what part of "like new" doesn't he understand?).

Anyway, rant over... Maybe it was you I blocked this evening...
nest.gif

+1, some of the buyers are clowns with their ridiculous lowballs. But on the other hand, some sellers doing the BIN OBO are just dreaming with the prices they've set. I still remember encountering a guy selling Naked & Famous jeans that retail for $130 in my local Holts for... $130 BIN OBO. I sent a best offer of $100, he countered with $125. I sent $110, he rejected. OK, enjoy trying to move something anyone can buy at a high end department store for the same price without having to pay the shipping.

If I was your boss's boss I'd be intimidated. This is a real power fit.

Yes, nice suit. But I would leave the colourful pocket square at home for meetings with the boss's boss. It looks a little off anyway.

That thing kind of looks too big on you all around (at least everywhere but the sleeve length). I'd have left it, probably more trouble than it's worth.

Authenticity check...

My gut says yes, since it was next to this:

Although it may come as a surprise to all of us who wade knee-deep in licensed Lanvin searching for treasures, very few people who wear D&G would also wear Barbour. Kind of completely different markets.

The Burberry Prorsum suit was nothing that impressive - no canvassing and typical skinny lapel Italian made crap. Was an airforce blue color, size 50 in EU sizing. It was not the Burberry London or Burberry Brit stuff....
And then I found what I was looking for
biggrin.gif
:D

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Legit right? RIGHT? RIGHT??

Looks legit to me, although the crotch looks as ready to blow as a junkie in a Waffle House bathroom.

Is that the only tag? Or is there a smoother silver tag as well (or evidence that one was there but ripped off)?

Rag & Bone and Billy Reid should never be in the same sentence as Jil and Raf.

+1, as per a couple of my comments above... not every brand is all about hand-sewn buttonholes and Super 1000s. Quality isn't everything.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who is discomforted by the use of that terminology for one's first acquisition of a brand, or more generally?  I've been tempted to use the term before because it's a convenient shorthand, but honestly it makes me feel misogynistic.  Never really commented on this before, but thought I would since you are taking the opportunity to use it in irony.

I don't think it's misogynistic, I just think it's really ******* weird. No harm, though.
Edit - now that I think about it, maybe it is misogynistic? Time for some research

if I had the balls (and cash) to go out looking like a swd victim I would drape myself in jil and raf or just wear his sneakers for basketball games

That's what I thought too - I ordered some baller-ish sneakers last week and while I was waiting for them to arrive I thought that maybe I'd wear them to play basketball down at the rec, but then they finally got here and I realized they're way too ******* nice for that. If only my Hyperdunks hadn't been stolen.

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought too - I ordered some baller-ish sneakers last week and while I was waiting for them to arrive I thought that maybe I'd wear them to play basketball down at the rec, but then they finally got here and I realized they're way too ******* nice for that. If only my Hyperdunks hadn't been stolen.
I thrifted some hyper-agressors new in box so they currently serve my purposes nicely

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Oh! A skeet blanket! At least it's somewhat CdG-esque?

I wasn't expecting much else, but the next thing I knew I popped a cherry

and another

and another! I think this and the Spurr are from the same guy, both around 37" chest

I looked around the jackets and pants, but I guess the smaller guy that dropped them off didn't drop too much. So I checked out but then had a nagging feeling as I was walking out, so I went and looked through the women's section. I don't know about you guys but I rarely see any men's pants under size 30, so my guess was that if he had any pants they'd be in the women's section.

Instead I found these for my gf. US made Indigo herringbone denim? Badass!

I certainly wasn't expecting to see these, but also for the gf. So I popped this cherry for the gf, I mean... uh...
shog[1].gif
peepwall[1].gif

And then I found what I was looking for
biggrin.gif
:D

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Legit right? RIGHT? RIGHT??
drool.gif

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thrifted some hyper-agressors new in box so they currently serve my purposes nicely

I have some decent Nikes that I only used for a season back home, but I keep forgetting to bring them to school with me.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the props and thumbs, dudes. Made several stops today, but mostly struck out. For example, likely massively overpaid on this USA PRL DB/dual vent gray pinstripe.
:fu: 44R. Available at basically proxy or trade, which still leaves plenty of room to make it a decent suit even accounting for reweaving fees.
But I did find a couple of nice things on final clearance at a Marshall's I'd never been to. Pantharellas are size 13, and the merino ones in brown EDIT: AND AVAILABLE. The tie is Billy Reid made in Italy. I've seen the name thrown around here, and have seen a few items in Marshalls, but all have been Made in China and not particularly nice. This is decidedly better. SWDers: Is it brag-worthy?

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Haha, that's not what I was trying to insinuate. My favorite GW constantly amazes me... Wait until I post the thrift fit of me wearing the D&G shirt which is several sizes too big and ungodly amounts of tacky... I'm a little bummed that the Barbour shirt won't work for me, but someone will appreciate it out there. Just posted those along with a silk Zegna shirt on Ebay.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avert your eyes if you open the spoiler!! It's aliiiiiiiiiiiivvvveeeeee....

Last edited:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
The tie is Billy Reid made in Italy. I've seen the name thrown around here, and have seen a few items in Marshalls, but all have been Made in China and not particularly nice. This is decidedly better. SWDers: Is it brag-worthy?
If you wear a bowtie, then sure. Probably a decent flip if you didn't pay too much for it.

Here are a few finds from the past couple of days, all available.

Hackett french cuff shirt for spring, 15.5 with roughly 34" sleeves

Zegna by Incotex charcoal flat-fronts, 32, roughly 31" inseam.

And finally... a nice, made in Italy staple suit. Not a name, but made for local high-end shop Vassi. Roughly on par with mainline Zegna and Canali... fully canvassed, pick stitching, double vented etc. 40 R and available, would love to trade for something in 40-42L if anyone's interested.

Stewie

Reaction score
Havent found much lately other than some nifty vietnam era shirts and boots, but did find these today and pretty happy bout these as my wife washed and dried my barely worn APC's recently and needed another pair of selvedge:

First run Gap Selvage, japanese denim, made in italy - looks like one wash probably - keeper
j crew flannel lined denim, nwt - keeper
vintage Honda jersey - what years was this color scheme?

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Deets on the Vietnam era stuff? Been after a pair of jungle boots for a long time. Had a pair of og issue jungle boots a long time ago. Have no idea what happened to them. Picked up a cheapie pair from the army surplus store a couple years later and they literally fell apart within a year.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The PRL cable knit and robert talbott white/blue check are available. Any idea on the age of the PRL Jean Jacket? The abercrombie is so thick n sweet...I also won 3 turnbull and asser ties on ebay for $15 total. 1 is a staple, another is wearable, and the 3rd I will resell.

Last edited:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tie is Billy Reid made in Italy. I've seen the name thrown around here, and have seen a few items in Marshalls, but all have been Made in China and not particularly nice. This is decidedly better. SWDers: Is it brag-worthy?

Bow ties will never be brag worthy for SW&D, no matter the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads