1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Yo, @Nataku

Vintage Frostline Kit parka (w/ hood in pocket!)

[​IMG]

Old label Patagonia. Any ideas on age? Must be pre-1990 at least...

[​IMG]

2. gcmartin1

gcmartin1 Active Member

Scored big today. Joseph. A Banks cashmere sport coat in tobacco, camel hair in sand and cashmere great coat in black. Giorgio Armani cashmere great coat in charcoal. Hartt brogues lgb in oxhide Bourbon, Dack Oxfords Prairie ox in brown, RJ Wright cognac brogue monk English made.

3. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Well-Known Member

Haha congrats! I'm shocked it was still there!

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the thread Spoo started, and I wish I would have paid more attention instead of re-inventing wheels. Let's stick to his originally posted rules--nominations through Dec. 31, then voting, then winners in early February. Categories are clothing (anything worn on body, including jewelry and watches), non-clothing (everything else), haul of the year and thrifter of the year. Post all nominations in the below thread.

Sorry for all the drama...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/366571/...ad-find-of-the-year-aka-cheapies-award-thread

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Bought these sweet NIB PRL made in Italy drivers from a SF member (thanks DieuEtLesDames!)...and I have a total noob question, as I rarely splurge on stuff like this for myself: So, do guys just keep driving shoes in their cars and swap footwear when going on a weekend drive or whatnot? I can't see wearing them out-of-doors much, maybe just to and from the car and indoors at home.

[​IMG]

And mega-shouts to Spoo on an awesome first trade, with hopes that you are as happy as I am and many more to come! Righteous, bro! "Good trade!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Easily 2 Ferarri's, or a maserati, and a porshe. hmmmmm,- im'a get a boston terrier. [​IMG]
    (not a fan of Ferarris)

lol, congrats 46n2. !!!!!!!

7. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

I see people wearing then all the time just in the street but when u had a pair I just wore them to drive or as house shoes

8. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

Grabbed a couple things today.

This Willis and Greiger Flannel Shirt (with the sexy elbow pads)

[​IMG]

Also some nice Vernon Allen Edmonds

[​IMG]

By the way, I think its been said here before (can't find it though) but is there a list of the best vintage outdoors brands to pick up?

Being in Northern Wisconsin I gotta assume I can find a least a few of them.

9. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

Old Orvis heavy knit fisherman's cardigan. Really cool. Anyone have an idea of how old this label is?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Searched the thread, nothing. Can't find anything conclusive ebay either. Is this because this sweater is a dud, or do I have something?

[​IMG][​IMG]

And yes, I realize my photos are overexposed.

10. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ That Orvis cardigan is killer! I'd say late 70's-early 80's.
    :slayer: I've only found one Baron Wells piece (a shirt I found at a discount store that gets their goods from the East Coast). It was really nice. Went to an SFer if I recall correctly.
    That Frostline is a nice piece! Hood in the pocket? Even better! Sadly that's not the old white Patagonia label you're looking for. The RN # label looks new-ish. I'd say mid-late 90's. This is the white label you're looking for: [​IMG]
    Love that W&G shirt! I made up a vintage outdoor gear tutorial with visuals of label examples but sadly I distributed it via PM to those who were interested and didn't post it. I should have done it like my camo tutorial and posted it on here. If someone still has it, please do post it here so others can see it. I had it saved as a document somewhere on my computer but can't seem to locate it.

1 person likes this.
  11. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

I walked up to the ties today and this old woman going through the suits saw and told me she'd figured out how to pick out good ties and she wanted to share her talent with me. She pulled out an ugly tie and said "This is a Jerry Garcia. He was a musician and he has a tie line. They all look like this." I said thank you and waited for her to leave, and 30 seconds later I found this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brooks Brothers glen plaid

[​IMG]
    RLPL with some damage that needs to be fixed

1 person likes this.
  12. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

hey guys. found some denim tonight. size 31 so don't fit me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

basically like new. sorry for the crap pics i didn't tell my gf i was going and she would be mad (she thinks im addicted - i am)

also grabbed this sulka. i know its old. and its stained. possible to get those out?

[​IMG]

http://s1.directupload.net/images/131126/2adivqt4.jpg[/mg]

grabbed 2 ties for personal use. both brooks, one 346 and the others makers

[img]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1055932/

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I've lurked on this page for quite a while so I decided to make a profile and start posting. Feel free to give feedback, I feel like I made a pretty good haul today.

2x BB ties
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4x Ermenegildo Zegna Ties
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 Ike Behar
    [​IMG]

1 Louis Vuitton Tie (Not sure if it's authentic)
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone verify if the Louis Vuitton tie is real or not?? I wasn't sure but I figured I'd take the chance.

1. Plus one Ermenegildo Zegna tie that isn't pictured (Black with red, white and gold stripes)
    2. A charcoal Brooks Brothers blazer (orphaned unfortunately) with cherry colored windowpane pattern. Beautiful.
    3. A few other pickups that were for me, nothing special, but things I was looking for which is always awesome.
    4. I felt this was a good haul because every tie was $3, minus the LV tie.
    5. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so sorry in advance for the massive post!

From 2 different stores in MN.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dalton

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

16. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Sorry man, I've been passing on those fake Zegna ties for a week or two. The LV tie is fake as well. The font is off from the real deal and they just feel cheap altogether.

You must have just bought them today because I think they were still there this morning when I was there. I hope you kept the tags on so you can return them.

17. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Even if they are fake, nice job on the rest of the stuff! Spoiler is easy, First step, in the dialogue box, top right corner of the toolbar, click "More". Highlight what you want to spoiler. On the second row of the toolbar, click the little speech bubble icon. Click Okay or whatever when the spoiler dialogue box pops up. Boom. Done.

18. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

No prob, I thought that might have been a possibility. It seemed too good to be true. Although I don't see any on the LV.

19. Ds13

Ds13 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought it seemed too good to be true like I said. and yep, I'll most likely be making a trip back. I hadn't been back there in a few weeks due to being up at college. Thanks for the quick feedback though.

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

One quick stop tonight before rehearsal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think that's the good Lanvin, no? The Faconnable is wool. I've got to figure out how to get those heavy wrinkles out of the Kiton. Steam or iron, what is the consensus? I've ironed ties before and know how to do it without creasing them too badly. Never tried the steamer on them before though.

Anyone here have an opinion on the difference between a formal dinner jacket and a tuxedo orphan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.