• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I went to one spot near my house after dropping off a bag of donations. Here's the highlights: NOT AVAILABLE

(Yeah I know the lighting is ****...
ffffuuuu.gif
)

^^^ Samuelsohn Navy Blue Chalkstripe 2 Piece Suit 46 (W 36).

^^^ Loro Piana 100% Cotton Solid Blue Shirt with MOPs L.

^^^ (L -R): Ben Silver 65% Cashmere / 35% Silk Solid Navy Blue Tie, J. Press "The Burlington Knot" Ancient Madder, Paul Stuart Blue Squares w/ Green Dots on Red.

* I'm pretty happy about the Ben Silver tie - TOTALLY conservative business dress and something I've been after.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the field. Need an quick answer. Should I kop this spiewak bomber jacket? Made in china 56% cotton 44% nylon. I've seen this name somewhere and it jumped out at me. It's 11 dollars.

Personally I'd pass. Don't know what flipability is, though. Very cool styling but I've never been impressed with Spiewak.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wondering if Thom Browne suits are worth picking up if 120 a pop?
Burberry Prorsum recent $99?
Ravazollo suit $99?

Damn prices have lept up.......

Taking some pics of stuff I did pick up this time. Not too bad stuff but had to leave the very expensive better stuff behind.......

Lots of PM's over the Thom Browne too many to reply to one at a time.

First, wish to thank you all for advice regarding worthiness of pickup. I owe all you guys a debt of gratitude for taking time to PM me :inlove:.

As for the sizes, they were a SZ 4 whatever the heck that means. I tried them on and they were laughably small on me (I am nailed on a 45L but can swing both ways from 44L to 46L and 48L on some fashion Tom Ford cuts). These suits felt 42S to me - they were super super short that is for sure. The overall structure would imply these were designed with a man of 5'8" in mind. The arm lengths came up about 3" off my cuff so approximating the sleeve length I guess around 23.5 - 24". The Lapels are also really skinny and the button stance (3 button) smelt of a designer's attempt to recreate the 1960's. As for build quality, they were pretty dang good, full canvassed horn buttons etc.... There were two suits, one was a charcoal solid and the other was a light navy solid.

As for pickup, going back tomorrow to see if still there.

The Burberry Prorsum suit was nothing that impressive - no canvassing and typical skinny lapel Italian made crap. Was an airforce blue color, size 50 in EU sizing. It was not the Burberry London or Burberry Brit stuff.....

Ravozollo was unsized but an unvented nothing spectacular suit. Well made though - this thing is up there with Kiton etc when we talk quality. Shame about the low gorge lapels and stiff shoulders. Estimated size = 44R. It was a charcoal pin.

Please do not PM me asking for dibs on the Burberry or Thom Browne because I left them behind and have to pick up. If they aint in tomorrow this could all be moot point.
If they are still there I will put up pics and happily proxy for anyone wanting them.

Will someone here like Brian or Nataku or Spoo etc please pass me your cell phone number so I can text to get immediate advice. I will keep your contact detail strictly confidential and trust me I am not a loon or weirdo that will be sending pics of ******* or anything like that.... Reason for phone number: It is bullshit I have to go back - the thrift store is 30 mile haul ass making a 60mile round trip. Could have saved myself the extra effort if I had a question about something and a yay or nay reply there and then! My phone has no WiFi ability so cannot send PM's when out on the hunt :(

Could get a new phone but I have phonephobia, it took me ages to learn mine and I do not wish to have to learn again how to operate a new phone :lol:

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First, wish to thank you all for advice regarding worthiness of pickup. I owe all you guys a debt of gratitude for taking time to PM me offering me advice.

As for the sizes, they were a SZ 4 whatever the heck that means. I tried them on and they were laughably small on me (I am nailed on a 45L but can swing both ways from 44L to 46L and 48L on some fashion Tom Ford cuts). These suits felt 42S to me - they were super super short that is for sure. The overall structure would imply these were designed with a man of 5'8" in mind. The arm lengths came up about 3" off my cuff so approximating the sleeve length I guess around 23.5 - 24". The Lapels are also really skinny and the button stance (3 button) smelt of a designer's attempt to recreate the 1960's. As for build quality, they were pretty dang good, full canvassed horn buttons etc.... There were two suits, one was a charcoal solid and the other was a light navy solid.

Size 4 you say... :devil:

Also, the Thome Browne asthesic is known to many as the "Mad Men suit" that looks like it was tossed in the wash, tumble dried and still rocked without a care in the world. TB stuff is very well made. I think the tailored stuff is made in NY by Martin Greenfield.

As shown by the man himself:

Oh, and you are now a mere phone call (or text) away from instant advice. :nodding:

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

First, wish to thank you all for advice regarding worthiness of pickup. I owe all you guys a debt of gratitude for taking time to PM me :inlove:.

As for pickup, going back tomorrow to see if still there.

The Burberry Prorsum suit was nothing that impressive - no canvassing and typical skinny lapel Italian made crap. Was an airforce blue color, size 50 in EU sizing. It was not the Burberry London or Burberry Brit stuff.....

Ravozollo was unsized but an unvented nothing spectacular suit. Well made though - this thing is up there with Kiton etc when we talk quality. Shame about the low gorge lapels and stiff shoulders. Estimated size = 44R. It was a charcoal pin.

Please do not PM me asking for dibs on the Burberry or Thom Browne because I left them behind and have to pick up. If they aint in tomorrow this could all be moot point.
If they are still there I will put up pics and happily proxy for anyone wanting them.

Will someone here like Brian or Nataku or Spoo etc please pass me your cell phone number so I can text to get immediate advice. I will keep your contact detail strictly confidential and trust me I am not a loon or weirdo that will be sending pics of ******* or anything like that.... Reason for phone number: It is bullshit I have to go back - the thrift store is 30 mile haul ass making a 60mile round trip. Could have saved myself the extra effort if I had a question about something and a yay or nay reply there and then! My phone has no WiFi ability so cannot send PM's when out on the hunt :(

Could get a new phone but I have phonephobia, it took me ages to learn mine and I do not wish to have to learn again how to operate a new phone :lol:

Thom Brown jackets always run short and skinny with tiny lapels.....that's just his style. I'm sure in a few years his jackets will only come down to the elbows.

Personally I have no interest in trying to channel my inner Angus Young.

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score
The spiewak is for me so I'm not worried about flipability. However just picked up a ******* MINT vintage chalk line satin 49ers jacket that fits. I have the weirdest boner right now.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Burberry Prorsum suit was nothing that impressive - no canvassing and typical skinny lapel Italian made crap.

I will keep your contact detail strictly confidential and trust me I am not a loon or weirdo that will be sending pics of ******* or anything like that.... Reason for phone number: It is bullshit I have to go back - the thrift store is 30 mile haul ass making a 60mile round trip. Could have saved myself the extra effort if I had a question about something and a yay or nay reply there and then! My phone has no WiFi ability so cannot send PM's when out on the hunt
frown.gif

Could get a new phone but I have phonephobia, it took me ages to learn mine and I do not wish to have to learn again how to operate a new phone
lol8[1].gif
Size 4 is usually a medium. I learned that from the Ted Baker store. I'm not a big TB fan. I think the short sleeves and high water ankle pants look really ugly. You have to be thin and tall to pull that off. I'm neither nor do I have the douche bag sophistication to pull it off.

Also, the Prorsum stuff isn't that great. They are just selling the name and high fashion style. Another reason I'm not a big fan of Jil and Raf stuff. I prefer RLBL and Rag n Bone. Lately, I've been really digging Billy Reid. Of course, buying his stuff on clearance at Marshall's helped!

Oh yeah, the sending pics of cock part is pretty
crackup[1].gif

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I started a real :slapfight: with that jacket comment eh?

My top 5 thread derails in the past 5 days:

5: Forum selling (docked points for retreaded subject)
4: Free market discussion
3: Gun control
2: I forget but I'm sure it was good
1: Dibbuk box/ ghost stories

Anyway, I stopped by my usual post-work spot today. I spotted the usual sign of the full time flippers, a high end shirt with some collar damage thrown over a rack near the check out. I figured it would be a bust as so many trips have been lately, but I looked around to see what would catch my eye.

Oh! A skeet blanket! At least it's somewhat CdG-esque?

I wasn't expecting much else, but the next thing I knew I popped a cherry

and another

and another! I think this and the Spurr are from the same guy, both around 37" chest

I looked around the jackets and pants, but I guess the smaller guy that dropped them off didn't drop too much. So I checked out but then had a nagging feeling as I was walking out, so I went and looked through the women's section. I don't know about you guys but I rarely see any men's pants under size 30, so my guess was that if he had any pants they'd be in the women's section.

Instead I found these for my gf. US made Indigo herringbone denim? Badass!

I certainly wasn't expecting to see these, but also for the gf. So I popped this cherry for the gf, I mean... uh... :embar::hide:

And then I found what I was looking for :D:D

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

Legit right? RIGHT? RIGHT??

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Size 4 is usually a medium. I learned that from the Ted Baker store. I'm not a big TB fan. I think the short sleeves and high water ankle pants look really ugly. You have to be thin and tall to pull that off. I'm neither nor do I have the douche bag sophistication to pull it off.
Also, the Prorsum stuff isn't that great. They are just selling the name and high fashion style. Another reason I'm not a big fan of Jil and Raf stuff. I prefer RLBL and Rag n Bone. Lately, I've been really digging Billy Reid. Of course, buying his stuff on clearance at Marshall's helped!
Oh yeah, the sending pics of cock part is pretty
crackup%5B1%5D.gif

Rag & Bone and Billy Reid should never be in the same sentence as Jil and Raf.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I started a real :slapfight: with that jacket comment eh?

My top 5 thread derails in the past 5 days:

5: Forum selling (docked points for retreaded subject)
4: Free market discussion
3: Gun control
2: I forget but I'm sure it was good
1: Dibbuk box/ ghost stories

Anyway, I stopped by my usual post-work spot today. I spotted the usual sign of the full time flippers, a high end shirt with some collar damage thrown over a rack near the check out. I figured it would be a bust as so many trips have been lately, but I looked around to see what would catch my eye.

Oh! A skeet blanket! At least it's somewhat CdG-esque?

I wasn't expecting much else, but the next thing I knew I popped a cherry

and another

and another! I think this and the Spurr are from the same guy, both around 37" chest

I looked around the jackets and pants, but I guess the smaller guy that dropped them off didn't drop too much. So I checked out but then had a nagging feeling as I was walking out, so I went and looked through the women's section. I don't know about you guys but I rarely see any men's pants under size 30, so my guess was that if he had any pants they'd be in the women's section.

Instead I found these for my gf. US made Indigo herringbone denim? Badass!

I certainly wasn't expecting to see these, but also for the gf. So I popped this cherry for the gf, I mean... uh... :embar::hide:

And then I found what I was looking for :D:D

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

Legit right? RIGHT? RIGHT??

Wow!! Awesome finds with some major grail labels! Simon Spurr, Ervell, Margaret Howell and Dior Homme jeans...all in one sitting?! :worship:

I've also picked up some Habitual jeans for my wife. Made in USA and they have "the look" to be expensive. Don't know too much else about em. She likes em', though!

Last edited:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Size 4 you say...
devil.gif

Also, the Thome Browne asthesic is known to many as the "Mad Men suit" that looks like it was tossed in the wash, tumble dried and still rocked without a care in the world. TB stuff is very well made. I think the tailored stuff is made in NY by Martin Greenfield.

As shown by the man himself:

Oh, and you are now a mere phone call (or text) away from instant advice.
nod[1].gif
Early Thom Browne suits (2004-2010) were made by Rocco Ciccarelli in New York to extraordinarily high standards with very little machine work and retailed north of $4000. Since 2010, his suits are now made by Oxxford and prices have now dropped to less than $3000, with quality obviously remaining extremely high. Easily worth $120, the staple colors could be worth almost 6-8 times that. When I read they were a 4 (Large) I was all...

EDIT: WTF? TB, Prorsum, Ervell, MIJ Dior Raws, Sick western RRL shawl collar jacket, this has gotta be the best day for SW&D in thread history

Last edited:

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow!! Awesome finds with some major grail labels! Simon Spurr, Ervell, Margaret Howell and Dior Homme jeans...all in one sitting?! :worship:

I've also picked up some Habitual jeans for my wife. Made in USA and they have "the look" to be expensive. Don't know too much else about em. She likes em', though!

I had no idea about Habitual either, but my I messaged my friend who is a window dresser for Anthropologie. She said that Anthro used to carry them for "$158-$198", so I think the look is spot on.

CesarC

Reaction score
GMMcL, like a boss! Also quick shout-out to Size 38R for being a super awesome dude and to Shiny for a sweet pants trade.

Love those ties, especially the one on the right.
Some recent finds--quite a few pictures, so I'm spoilering the post in its entirety.

Some ties:

Besides awesome?
Check this thing out. Don't quite know what to make of it. Anybody know what this is?

Hmmm. Any 36R?
mwink[1].gif

We did pick up a mens Burberrys' Harris Tweed long coat for $12.99 a few days back and a womans long Aquascutum coat after reading some threads. Left two behind because they were trenches. Maybe as we get more confident in what styleforum members are looking for we can work something out.

Am I the only one who is discomforted by the use of that terminology for one's first acquisition of a brand, or more generally? I've been tempted to use the term before because it's a convenient shorthand, but honestly it makes me feel misogynistic. Never really commented on this before, but thought I would since you are taking the opportunity to use it in irony.
So I popped this cherry for the gf, I mean... uh...
shog[1].gif
peepwall[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads