• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought I'd share one of my few finds....

NOS Habig hat. It's in mint condition and was my size and a silk lining! I'll need to reshape the brim a bit, but I was really happy with it.

I passed on a 100% silk 3/2 Daks odd jacket. It was really nice with side vents and a ticket pocket. The bottom button is barely hanging on, so it would have to be replaced. I almost grabbed it for a proxy, but I left it as I've been wrong in the past on what people want or willing to pay to have shipped to them :D Anyway, I didn't measure it but it was big and long when I tried it, so I'd guess an EU 50?

I also left a bunch of wool caps. I loved them and a couple of them fit. I even ran over to them when I saw them. There was a Harris Tweed and a few unmarked wools and then a Lock & Co. loden green cap. The Harris Tweeds were from 1973 and the insides looks as though they'd been worn every day since :crazy: However, the Lock & Co. was nice. They were a bit flattened, but fine otherwise. Size M for most or EU 58s. They were €5 each. I'm going to try to grab the Lock & Co one if I can get back there before the weekend for myself.

Finally, I thought I'd throw up a few pictures of the shop I went to today. It's tiny by American comparisons but I can usually find one or two things if I hit it once a week.

This is the entire men's section along with a rack of women's furs.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
******* gorgeous room, Wes! You guys did a great job!
Thanks bud...
Double Thanks! How did you find it so fast? So I can look myself in the future?
needs new light fixtures before i'll go that far. :).
Actually they are brand new. They are standard 6" recessed cans with this special lamp shade trim ring. My wife hates overhead lighting, but these work for her. The lights are spaced around the bed corners and also illuminate the doorways to her walk-in closet and the entrance to the room. The shades help keep the light from glaring down on the bed, and they look really nice dimmed.

I also have a thrifted double up-light for reading that works with the same shades when they are inverted. Pics of the finished room to come in a few days/weeks.

Wes, looks great! I love that floor...old wood has a charm that can't be replicated, no matter how many times it's been sanded down. I'd love to see the coffee table and the inside of that closet! If you're struggling on the accent wall, have you considered painting it to match the rest of the room? A lot of times an accent wall will simply break a space up and make it feel smaller. Just an idea to save you some stress for your guests!
Thanks Hans,

Considered it, but sticking with the accent wall for now. Hoping to have a nice big piece of B/W artwork up there when it's finished.
Closet system not hung yet, but will be John Louis to match my wife's closet....solid wood with mahogany finish.
Her closet...don't mind her mess...we are under construction. There is a second shoe rack on the opposite wall.

Coffee table after I cut the legs down. It is in small format here, it has a butterfly leaf that opens it up to roughly a 5 foot square.

The door behind Holly is also from the same set the closet doors came from...dumpster gold. We wanted to separate the kitchen from the living room from time to time, but didn't have room for the swing of a proper french door.....so.....

I don't have a finished pic on my phone, but they are mounted on barn door track and slide side to side.

I could go on and on, the whole house is full of thrifted / re-purposed projects. What can I say...I'm a cheap bastard.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that place... if it's the same location I stop at occasionally they're the ones with the $1,000 average looking vintage stereo system a couple years ago.

Yea its Unique in Bville... Never really a spot for flippers but I find Nordstrom/AE shoe trees there consistently and I found my RL Goat Suede Italian button up for $12 which was something like 1.4K retail... They can be decent if you find stuff for yourself but their prices have jacked up over the last 5 years or so

ilikethelights

Reaction score

Yea its Unique in Bville... Never really a spot for flippers but I find Nordstrom/AE shoe trees there consistently and I found my RL Goat Suede Italian button up for $12 which was something like 1.4K retail... They can be decent if you find stuff for yourself but their prices have jacked up over the last 5 years or so

Ah, I don't make it to that one as much. I think the New Hope one is even more out of control, I don't even check the suits really anymore. Once and a while things get by but I've seen super dated Zegna and similar suits for $400+

highlifeman

Reaction score
Seems like you already know the answer on the Dior--doesn't look like a Dior Homme pattern, has a Christian Dior backing, isn't made in Italy, and the tag is in Spanish and references Argentina.
Just an interesting FYI- when I found that "Dior" shirt a while back that ended up being "fake" so to speak, it also had an Argentina tag....after doing some research, I did run across a thread either here or another forum/web page that indicated the Dior name (and I guess label, etc.) was still licensed in Argentina( or at least up until recently) to be sold in Agentina , but some had showed up on Ebay, etc.. (, so while maybe not really a "countefeit" per se, it is made in Argentina and obviously not up to the quality of a Dior Homme item......could also explain the mixing of Dior and the "Christian Dior" on the same itempossibly, as they may not be worried about looking counterfeit if they have or had an actual license.....

CesarC

Reaction score
Oh yeah, best for last... The reason he called me with something I had to see (and try on)
ZEN MASTER.
You must feel like
revolve.gif

Speaking of floors, my thrift brag for today is my "new" hardwood flooring. Reclaimed from a 120 year old farm house for just under $1/sq ft. Reeeedonkulous deal, considering the same would cost $13-$18 /sq ft new.

The whole project started by me needing this new closet.
These are re-purposed french doors found in a dumpster dive they were originally exterior doors which were about 18" taller, solid brass hardware was still intact.

Looks good! It's a satisfying feeling laying down some quality hardwood, as if one has truly accomplished something -- which you have! Plus, it's "vintage"!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I also want a new closet.

Thrift fit pic:

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg

PRL jacket (consignment)
Lands End shirt (thrifted)
Nautica tie (TJ Maxx)
BB chinos (retail
shog[1].gif
)
Alden flexwelt pennies (traded with noob - thanks man! they cleaned up good.)

Really like that jacket and tie (for some reason I have a soft spot for horizontal stripes). I also like the various earth tones in the jacket + pants + loafer combination.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

Thanks bud...
Actually they are brand new. They are standard 6" recessed cans with this special lamp shade trim ring. My wife hates overhead lighting, but these work for her. The lights are spaced around the bed corners and also illuminate the doorways to her walk-in closet and the entrance to the room. The shades help keep the light from glaring down on the bed, and they look really nice dimmed.

I also have a thrifted double up-light for reading that works with the same shades when they are inverted. Pics of the finished room to come in a few days/weeks.

Thanks Hans,

Considered it, but sticking with the accent wall for now. Hoping to have a nice big piece of B/W artwork up there when it's finished. 
Closet system not hung yet, but will be John Louis to match my wife's closet....solid wood with mahogany finish.
Her closet...don't mind her mess...we are under construction. There is a second shoe rack on the opposite wall.

Coffee table after I cut the legs down. It is in small format here, it has a butterfly leaf that opens it up to roughly a 5 foot square.

The door behind Holly is also from the same set the closet doors came from...dumpster gold. We wanted to separate the kitchen from the living room from time to time, but didn't have room for the swing of a proper french door.....so.....

I don't have a finished pic on my phone, but they are mounted on barn door track and slide side to side.

I could go on and on, the whole house is full of thrifted / re-purposed projects. What can I say...I'm a cheap bastard.

:slayer:
I am in awe. Amazing floors, great closet...

dustinmyself

Reaction score

...regardless your house is niccceeeeeeee

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...regardless your house is niccceeeeeeee
Thanks Dustin... you have actually been inside, and still say that....regardless of my piles of suits.

Since you have seen both the inside and the outside. This is for you and the appreciation of the group...

This is the house the very first time we went to see it....7 years ago

This is after some minor improvements...

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Just grabbed a pair of Acne jeans for myself and C.P. company black sneakers at the local trade in **** hole. I'm ignorant in regards to SWD - can anyone enlighten me on CP company? At first glance I assumed they were Common Projects, but google suggests different. Running to class now, but I'll throw pics up tonight.
Passed on an orange, corduroy, relatively tame skeet blanket at $10 and a pair of beat Nudie Glenn Flare 30/32 around 10 as well. Likely going to grab the RG within the week, so let me know if the bootcut deal is still your thing.

C.P. company is an Italian sportswear company founded in 1975 that's favored in the streetwear scene. I've found a few recent pieces that were of middling quality, but I would compare them to Aspesi, Moncler as far as styling, if not sometimes in quality. I'm pretty fond of Italian sportswear over American given that the slim tailoring found in Italian dress clothes often follows to their sportswear.

CP Company definitely make lots of interesting things. See their splash page for their iconic parka with integrated flight goggles on the hood. Stone Island is a sister brand to CP Company that makes similar product, Shadow Project being their line nonpareil. If you see a Stone Island piece in good shape, especially if it has a gaudy compass on the sleeve or back, KOP.

ex:

Last edited:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

C.P. company is an Italian sportswear company founded in 1975 that's favored in the streetwear scene.  I've found a few recent pieces that were of middling quality, but I would compare them to Aspesi, Moncler as far as styling, if not sometimes in quality.  I'm pretty fond of Italian sportswear over American given that the slim tailoring found in Italian dress clothes often follows to their sportswear.  

CP Company definitely make lots of interesting things.  See their splash page for their iconic parka with integrated flight goggles on the hood.  Stone Island is a sister brand to CP Company that makes similar product, Shadow Project being their line nonpareil.  If you see a Stone Island piece in good shape, especially if it has a gaudy compass on the sleeve or back, KOP.

ex:

not really streetwear, more like italian fashion pieces

guyver00

Reaction score

I thought I'd share one of my few finds....

NOS Habig hat. It's in mint condition and was my size and a silk lining! I'll need to reshape the brim a bit, but I was really happy with it.
I passed on a 100% silk 3/2 Daks odd jacket. It was really nice with side vents and a ticket pocket. The bottom button is barely hanging on, so it would have to be replaced. I almost grabbed it for a proxy, but I left it as I've been wrong in the past on what people want or willing to pay to have shipped to them :D Anyway, I didn't measure it but it was big and long when I tried it, so I'd guess an EU 50?

I also left a bunch of wool caps. I loved them and a couple of them fit. I even ran over to them when I saw them. There was a Harris Tweed and a few unmarked wools and then a Lock & Co. loden green cap. The Harris Tweeds were from 1973 and the insides looks as though they'd been worn every day since :crazy: However, the Lock & Co. was nice. They were a bit flattened, but fine otherwise. Size M for most or EU 58s. They were €5 each. I'm going to try to grab the Lock & Co one if I can get back there before the weekend for myself.

Nice hats and caps. I've been on the look out for a nice wool cap from Lock, but my big head needs a stupid XL :D

Xenos

Reaction score

Just an interesting FYI- when I found that "Dior" shirt a while back that ended up being "fake" so to speak, it also had an Argentina tag....after doing some research,  I did run across a thread either here or another forum/web page  that indicated the Dior name (and I guess label, etc.) was still licensed in Argentina( or at least up until recently) to be sold in Agentina , but some had showed up on Ebay, etc..  (, so while maybe not really a "countefeit" per se, it is made in Argentina and obviously not up to the quality of a Dior Homme item......could also explain the mixing of Dior and the "Christian Dior"  on the same itempossibly, as they may not be  worried about  looking counterfeit if they have or had an actual license.....

Yes, the quality of the tie is better than any counterfeit tie I have ever seen. Really the only reason I thought it might be authentic. I liked the pattern and the silk is very nice and thick. My first fake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads