• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Kenwood. I think they're 10D, but I can't tell because the size info is printed on the inside of the shoe, above the toe.

Oxxford sportcoat. I think it's a 42R, but there's no size tag. I did a Google search for the name printed on the inside, and the previous owner was apparently a truck driver, as strange as that sounds.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Tried my luck at this whole Marshalls thing. Kinda steep, so I may end up returning.

0c9aa5f8.jpg

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any interest in this Hickey Freeman cashmere/wool blend blazer? Really great pattern. Needs a pressing, but otherwise mint with no signs of wear. Tagged as a 44 L, see pictures below:

hf1.jpg

hf2.jpg

hf3.jpg

Last edited:

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any interest in this Hickey Freeman cashmere/wool blend blazer? Really great pattern. Needs a pressing, but otherwise mint with no signs of wear. Tagged as a 44 L, see pictures below:
hf1.jpg

hf2.jpg

hf3.jpg

That's my size in HF - what size are you? I have more Hickey Freeman than does Hickey Freeman....

Shiny

Reaction score

--------------------------------------------------------
I returned last night and flight was 4 hours. My ear drums have burst or are damaged and I cant hear ****. My ears hurt so bad when the plane descended. I had a bit of sinuses before we left, but nothing major. I tried everything in the air, holding my nose and blowing, wads of chewing gum, nothing stopped it. So what do you guys do with your ears when flying? Next time I may think about earplugs, but I seriously doubt that would work :(

Sometimes you're at the perfect nasal semicloggedness that the cabin pressurization will FU up. On a trip a few months ago, I caught a cold on the way out and was dreading the return and it was not bad. Yet, recently I left for a trip feeling good and with just a tad allergic and my flight was like a slurpee nasal headache for about 1 hour. I took some acetamenophin during and it was bearable the latter half. My wife swears by these things called earplanes, which you must stick in your ears before they close the cabin door. But she has really bad allergies and she needs them. If this always happens to you, I would suggest the earplanes.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife swears by these things called earplanes, which you must stick in your ears before they close the cabin door. But she has really bad allergies and she needs them. If this always happens to you, I would suggest the earplanes.

I will check these out, thanks for the tip.

narcissism

Reaction score

Tried my luck at this whole Marshalls thing. Kinda steep, so I may end up returning.

0c9aa5f8.jpg

I bought a Kiton shirt for the same price at Marshalls and thought it was a good deal. Thought I saw this same shirt at a Chicago location.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Took a road trip from NJ to Boston today and hit up a few new thrift stores all of which were within 5 miles of the highway which made it easy. Found my first Abercrombie & Fitch Harris Tweed, and a few Hickey Freeman suits (one really nice recent 38S staple gray pin) and Paul Stuart black glenplaid, as well as a nice pair of tan Incotex and Paul Smith pants. Passed on a ton of really nice orphanced jackets; Oxxford, Chester Barrie, Paul Stuart DB Tux etc etc. Did pick up a Southwick orphaned (I think) mini herringbone jacket that would be a nice sportcoat. Only thing for myself was a stupid Express 1MX shirt.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Passed on a Versace suit jacket for the second time...did a fairly intensive search for the pants and couldn't find them.  It's a US 48, with a small tear on the edge of one of the patch pockets.  It's a pretty staple navy color with a single (I thought almost all SCs used two or more buttons?) metal medusa head button.  Everything about it looks real, but what about the missing pants?  Worth $20 bucks to try to flip?

If real, it was a blazer. Metal buttons almost always mean blazer.

Not with Versace it doesn't :laugh: You could probably do better than $20 with medusa buttons.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few nice finds today. Nicest Robert Graham shirt I've found yet (looks NWOT). Also found a recent Canali dress shirt and a orange check Loro Piana casual button-down. Loro Piana was donated by a local hot shot and looked like it was put back on the rack from the dressing room rack. Wonder what I missed. :brick:

Also scored some brand new wool plaid blankets from Fairbault Woolen Mills (similar to Woolrich & Pendleton, except local) for $15 each. A steal considering they start at $120 in stores.

bytor13

Reaction score
After a haul staples-wise yesterday, today was a lot of misses. Several Hugo Boss suits with slight (but enough) damage, a Burberry duffle coat with damaged closures (worth replacing?), a Harris Tweed overcoat with moth damage, and an orphaned Canali suit jacket.

This, however, was in mint condition. It horrified and fascinated me with equal measure.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Took a road trip from NJ to Boston today

Anyone who frequents this thread who is on 84 north of hartford owes it to himself to stop at the Salvation Army in Manchester, CT...might be the store where I've got my best stuff overall. Sadly, I only can hit it 2-3x a year. I once got a pair of heavy Filson wool pants there -- mint, unfinished length -- in addition to the good old Zegna, Brooks Bros, and other great stuff always there.

Speaking of which, in addition to my Gucci tie I posted a couple pages back, today I found this amazing thick wool shirt -- natural, undyed, off white -- from Swanndri. Never heard of it before, but it seemed very well made. Been Googling around, it appears to be the Filson of New Zealand. Going to wear it tomorrow to family get-to out in the woods of New Salem, Mass...2 hour drive from our place.

Last edited:

mistermidwester

Reaction score

After a haul staples-wise yesterday, today was a lot of misses.  Several Hugo Boss suits with slight (but enough) damage, a Burberry duffle coat with damaged closures (worth replacing?), a Harris Tweed overcoat with moth damage, and an orphaned Canali suit jacket.

This, however, was in mint condition.  It horrified and fascinated me with equal measure.

Women's jacket.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to ask - not a thrift find, but I talked someone down on the bay for a 2011 model Zegna mainline suit, grey with blue shadow stripes, size US 40L - fits a 40L-42L, $250ish. Anyone interested before I resell? Just a bit too big on me, but hot damn its nice. 2 button, 2 vent, flat front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads