• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a Zenga navy suit at Salvation Army that was too big for me — I might go back on half-off day to snag it.

Picked up a pair of Park Avenues in 11E. Too big for me — anyone?

(first 2 pics) http://www.flickr.com/photos/71716117@N07/

I'd love to trade for some black AEs in a 9.5D.

MattR

Reaction score

Found a Zenga navy suit at Salvation Army that was too big for me — I might go back on half-off day to snag it.

Picked up a pair of Park Avenues in 11E. Too big for me — anyone?

(first 2 pics) http://www.flickr.com/photos/71716117@N07/

I'd love to trade for some black AEs in a 9.5D.

Just to bust balls a bit...

"Zenga is the Japanese term for the practice and art of Zen Buddhist painting and calligraphy in the Japanese tea ceremony and also the martial arts." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenga) :teach:

On a more helpful note, what type of Zegna was it? More recent stuff is worthwhile (except the Soft, if only b/c it's not one of their better lines). Although, Zegna seems to be doing well on ebay lately.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to bust balls a bit...
"Zenga is the Japanese term for the practice and art of Zen Buddhist painting and calligraphy in the Japanese tea ceremony and also the martial arts." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenga) :teach:
On a more helpful note, what type of Zegna was it? More recent stuff is worthwhile (except the Soft, if only b/c it's not one of their better lines). Although, Zegna seems to be doing well on ebay lately.

This. If recent and solid navy, you could make some decent money.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score

Def. not all TJ Maxx and Marshall's are created equally. Come to Omaha and you'll sift through the finest Nautica, Hilfiger, Timberland, Sean John and Enyce gear known to man :censored:

this x 1000000000000000000000

dongale

Reaction score
Have a question, but didn't want to start a new thread if it could be answered here. I just bought two pair of Ermenegildo Zegna pants in great condition. Look authentic. One made in Romania and one made in Portugal. Does that (Romania/Portugal) tell me anything about the quality? I love how the look and feel, just curious about how good of a buy it was. Paid $5 each.

MattR

Reaction score

This. If recent and solid navy, you could make some decent money.

Also, beware the Zegna vs. Zegna cloth debacle. I almost missed it on an ebay suit recently. It doesn't mean the suit might not be worthwhile, just that it isn't a Zegna. This person had it listed as such, which was misleading.

dongale

Reaction score
Another question...Also bought some Brooks Brothers pants. How can you figure the 'line' by looking at the label? I've heard BB has black fleece, golden fleece, 1818, etc, but will the label say "golden fleece", or what? These pants have a navy label, gold writing, say "Brooks Brothers, established 1818" with the lamb logo, made in Canada, 100% wool.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was a navy pinstripe, but I tend to put these things out of my mind as soon as they don't work out. It was $20; if it's still there on Wednesday, it will be $10. Should I grab it today?

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Hit another marshalls today, saw 1 RLPL dress shirt for 99 bucks. Also saw a few knits that I want for $99, nothing cucinelli though. How often are the clearance prices reduced?

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Reality check on a Gucci tie found today at Savers. Fake, or real?

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Passed on a Versace suit jacket for the second time...did a fairly intensive search for the pants and couldn't find them. It's a US 48, with a small tear on the edge of one of the patch pockets. It's a pretty staple navy color with a single (I thought almost all SCs used two or more buttons?) metal medusa head button. Everything about it looks real, but what about the missing pants? Worth $20 bucks to try to flip?

Also, picked up a Glen Appin Angler hat made with Harris Tweed in a "large", which I would assume is between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 if anyone is interested. It's kinda like a kangol bucket hat in shape with a fairly small bill.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If real, it was a blazer. Metal buttons almost always mean blazer.

hyakku

Reaction score
Had some nice luck kicking back into gear for the new year. No pics for now, but snagged an incredible RLPL Shirt, a Prada button down (which to my pleasant surprise wasn't obnoxious and is actually one of the best shirts I've snagged), some raw denim from an LA maker, and a random Tank top/shirt from Marc Jacobs that was obviously for streetwear. Got some other normal stuff, nothing of too much interest. I honestly felt rusty out there, only hit a few GWs and stores, but still spotted some pretty nice finds. Forgot about people up here though, feel bad. Passed a few trench coats and other coats from a Japanese maker Sanyo that were pretty solid, a few Dolce and Gabanna mainline suits for men (they were $50 and a bit too big for me), and a pair of Brioni pants. Next time I'll snag most of them for everyone, rookie move, my bad.

With that said, I am looking for a few things. If k4 is still around, sorry for not getting back to you, I had to leave LA sooner than I realized and haven't been back up. I'm still looking for a few driver caps (and I lost the one midwester gave me at some point returning to the States. That hat was my PIC), preferably brown, tan, grey, black, and other solid colors (white would be pretty nice as well). Also I need a new pair(s) of shoes for suits for interview/work. More conservative as it will be in a rather large law firm, so anyone that's picked up any nice wingtips or conservative shoes that would go well with work suits (navy blue, gray, charcoal, etc.) in 9.5D please PM me. I can't guarantee I'll buy them as I'm still gonna be hitting some old spots over the next few days, but I am on the lookout.

Finally, I've been looking for a new Navy blue/charcoal/gray suit for an upcoming interview. I'm sure I'll be able to find one in the upcoming weeks, and if not I can wear one I already have, but I figure I would ask up here to see if anyone is looking to rid a recent 38R or very slim fitting 40R. I prefer slimmer, European cuts like Canali Proposta (or do I have that backwards?), so I'd prefer to stay away from cuts like the traditional BB, Today's man, and the like only because I have access to them pretty easily here in LA.. I'm going through the thrifter's post now, but figured putting out an APB now can't hurt. Let me know all, good hunting.

Edit: Oh and Matt, I've seen a similar PRL jacket, they really are sick. I wanted to grab the one I saw but it was a bit too big for me.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back from 2 weeks off. Will arrange pics of shirts in size 16 - 16.5 / L I plan to sell in one group. One addition is a Lorenzini beige / brown plaid linen shirt in the size 16.5, it is an Italian large and labelled as such. Also from a forgotten box I had is a recent Brooks Brothers golden beige / wheat wool/silk/linen sport coat size 45L (made in Italy, from the 1818 line).
--------------------------------------------------------
Funny story: Today I visited 2 thrift stores with wife who wanted to look for some quilts. I checked out the suits and found an orphaned made in Italy Polo Ralph Lauren suit jacket colored charcoal gray. Left it on the rack but tore the thrift store apart looking for the pants (which I did not find). 20 miles up the road went to another thrift store and voila, Ralph Lauren Polo pants colored charcoal gray in the correct size for the suit (jacket was 42L, pants 36W). Great! I buy the pants for $10, drive all the way back down to the thrift store with the orphaned jacket, and ...
I must be ******* color blind, the pants and the suit jacket were not even remotely the same shade of gray :facepalm:
--------------------------------------------------------
I returned last night and flight was 4 hours. My ear drums have burst or are damaged and I cant hear ****. My ears hurt so bad when the plane descended. I had a bit of sinuses before we left, but nothing major. I tried everything in the air, holding my nose and blowing, wads of chewing gum, nothing stopped it. So what do you guys do with your ears when flying? Next time I may think about earplugs, but I seriously doubt that would work :(

Passed on a Versace suit jacket for the second time...did a fairly intensive search for the pants and couldn't find them.  It's a US 48, with a small tear on the edge of one of the patch pockets.  It's a pretty staple navy color with a single (I thought almost all SCs used two or more buttons?) metal medusa head button.  Everything about it looks real, but what about the missing pants?  Worth $20 bucks to try to flip?

May be a blazer. With a tear, I would leave that one on the rack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics