• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitontini

Reaction score

^^ How does something that nice stick around in the stores long enough to wait out interest for a couple days. That thing wouldn't last 4 hours in my local stores.

Exactly! How did the Cucinelli last long enough to be clearanced down to $69?! Everyone around my area buys things just to buy them. Some guy at my secret store bought a NWT Caruso sportcoat.... for $10.... only cause he liked the colors. He had no idea who the maker was!

LooknGr8

Reaction score

I thought this thread would have been popping after 2012 with all the last minute donations. :confused:

I have found all the thrift stores loaded this month. I thought it was because no one thrifts around Christmas because they don't have time and got presents, anyway, and were busy with holiday stuff...didn't even think about getting those tax breaks for calendar 2011.

I couldn't believe seeing the Savers loading dock 2 days after Christmas...overflowing with furniture and toys and other goods like I'd never seen before, so the tax argument makes total sense.

As far as my own finds, I've nabbed several very nice shirts in my size (15-32), which usually I have to settle for 32/33 or the dreaded 15/15-1/2. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Lots of other excellent stuff but not in my size (Canali shirts, etc.) that are at best uncommon in my neck of the woods. Nothing worth posting pix of here. But your Marshall's tip (see previous) was right on the money.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today's findings...not so bad.
See link in signature for measurements and other details.

Nordstrom Classics SC 3 Button .... Loro Piana Cashmere

Lanvin Suede SC

Chaps Ralph Lauren Camel Hair SC

Wool and Alpaca SC Made in England for Todays Man

Lanvin Wool SC

Hammersley of England Wool and Cashmere Top Coat

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score

Wow, getting jealous of everyone who's actually finding good stuff at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I got the finest crap in town at the Marshall's I hit the other day. Alot of Axist, Hilfiger, Cole Haan...etc. Some people may like those designers... but I don't. I hit up an Arc too. Found an orphaned Oxxford suit jacket, size 39 Sh. Turned the store upside down, never found the pants. So I had to leave it.
Oh and to the guy who found the Cucinelli at Marshall's for $69.00 :eek:..... :fu:

I have found all the thrift stores loaded this month. I thought it was because no one thrifts around Christmas because they don't have time and got presents, anyway, and were busy with holiday stuff...didn't even think about getting those tax breaks for calendar 2011.
I couldn't believe seeing the Savers loading dock 2 days after Christmas...overflowing with furniture and toys and other goods like I'd never seen before, so the tax argument makes total sense.
As far as my own finds, I've nabbed several very nice shirts in my size (15-32), which usually I have to settle for 32/33 or the dreaded 15/15-1/2. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Lots of other excellent stuff but not in my size (Canali shirts, etc.) that are at best uncommon in my neck of the woods. Nothing worth posting pix of here. But your Marshall's tip (see previous) was right on the money.

I've had the exact opposite experience so far. Everywhere is cleared out. Maybe they are trying to restock after the holidays (the places were mobbed right before Christmas). Or maybe Andro and Toscanno cleaned house while I was out of town...:paranoia:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the stuff I found earlier

The stains weren't as bad as I thought

Anyone recognize the maker from this tag?

Went out tonight after dinner... Found another of these XL Luciano Barbera sport shirts at the same place. That's 4 now.

Then I went to Savers. Found these interesting Lacoste sneakers but didn't get them... Anyone know anything about them? I think they were around a 9 or 9.5

Also saw this interesting Winchester shooting sweater / jacket. Not sure if it could be flipped so I didn't get it.

They had a ton of NWT blazers and sportcoats from LRL, Chaps, Nautica, and even Alan Flusser. Some store must have been dumping their leftover stock. I picked up these 2, a Brooks Brothers sportcoat and a Harris Tweed with the newest Harris Tweed tag I've ever seen. They're both basically NWOT and both fit, but I think the BB is too yellow for my complexion, so it's available (41R)

Made in Mexico?

Also picked up 2 more driving caps... One charcoal grey 100% cashmere, made in Ireland, labelled Foxhunter, and one navy and green plaid wool with a label inside under a plastic protector that says Dobbs Park Avenue New York.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Local TJMaxx had a couple of interesting RL pocket squares one black label the other purple label. But at $49 apiece, still too rich for my blood. Gonna check one out in the nicer part of town tomorrow to see what I can turn up.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Taking a road trip this weekend....found new 9 thrift stores that just happen to be on the way....
inlove.gif

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent finds:
Recent zegna tie, stefano ricci, brooks bros, nwt aquascutum
rlpl l/s tshirt, orian 1968 flax shirt (size L, long sleeve, $15 shipped if anybody wants it, going to need some new buttons eventually), zegna flat front pants, canali pants, polo rl blue flannel blazer, willis geiger bush poplin field jacket, willis geiger field shirt, AE park aves, pair of martin dingman loafers

BUT the best find of them all:
yup1.jpg

yup2.jpg

yup3.jpg

Nettleton, Kent model. Not too much wear on these at all! Freaking rare shoe.

Also found these old shell cordovan wingtips. No idea who made these. Insoles are pretty shot, look like Alden to me (because of the raised area, nobody might know what I'm talking about but Alden shoes typically have a rounded raised rectangular padded area), but the size marking isn't Alden. Any guesses?

yup4.jpg

yup5.jpg

yup6.jpg

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Wow, getting jealous of everyone who's actually finding good stuff at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I got the finest crap in town at the Marshall's I hit the other day. Alot of Axist, Hilfiger, Cole Haan...etc. Some people may like those designers... but I don't. I hit up an Arc too. Found an orphaned Oxxford suit jacket, size 39 Sh. Turned the store upside down, never found the pants. So I had to leave it.
Oh and to the guy who found the Cucinelli at Marshall's for $69.00 :eek:..... :fu:

I've had the exact opposite experience so far. Everywhere is cleared out. Maybe they are trying to restock after the holidays (the places were mobbed right before Christmas). Or maybe Andro and Toscanno cleaned house while I was out of town...:paranoia:

Nah..I barely even went out!

MattR

Reaction score
Only hit one store today. Tons of BB stuff lying around. Some older 346 items for the 38/39L crowd (solid charcoal and navy pinstripe).

Saw my first BB Golden Fleece shirt (baby blue in 17.5/33), but I didn't grab it b/c there was some collar staining and a small red-sauce mark (pindot size) on the one cuff. Do these use MOP buttons? I did the lip test, and they were cold, but I've never tried that before.

:)spam:) But, I did grab a 3-roll-2 BB brown herringbone blazer. Still had the dry cleaning tag on it. Absolutely gorgeous piece. Made in Italy, all lambswool, flapped patch pockets, etc. I'll throw up some pics later, since it's not my size and up for grabs. Measurements below the fold, just in case.

Chest = 22"
Waist = 20.5"
Shoulders = 19.5"
Sleeves = 26" w/ .75" to the inner lining
BOC = 32"

::EDIT:: Completely forgot, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen/head of this before. I found (but didn't grab) a US PRL rain/all weather coat with a corduroy collar. Really cool, but the odd thing was it actually had metal hooks to latch the sides over the center zipper. I though it was a toggle jacket at first, but these confused me. Size L, otherwise I would have grabbed it for myself. It was pretty badass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads