• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chiming in on the increase in thrift prices. One of my regular GW now has a "premium" rack. $30.00 for PRL button down (you can get them new at TJ Maxx for $5.00 more. Haspel suit for $30.00. And various BB and Gitman Brothers button downs for $20.00.

But in with the regular shirts I find a newer Burberry FC button down. Had a monogram on it...but that was easily removed.

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Chiming in on the increase in thrift prices. One of my regular GW now has a "premium" rack. $30.00 for PRL button down (you can get them new at TJ Maxx for $5.00 more. Haspel suit for $30.00. And various BB and Gitman Brothers button downs for $20.00.
But in with the regular shirts I find a newer Burberry FC button down. Had a monogram on it...but that was easily removed.

imo, they can keep that up but when they have a excess of stock that won't sell they will eventually change the policy. I think one of the policy is that thrift stores should not be allowed to use the internet. lol

MattR

Reaction score

I've noticed this, too. It's disconcerting, except they don't seem to know which items would actually be worth marking up, at least not around here.

buddy72

Reaction score
I did okay this weekend. Got a H. Freeman and Sons dark blue suit in my size, fits perfectly. Khaki type pants in my size, dark green, label is "Harold Powell". I never heard of this before, but they're very well made, nice thick cotton fabric, good for cold weather. Also this Giorgio Armani , Le Collezioni jacket/sport coat, from Saks Fifth Avenue. Size is 43R which is just a tad too big for me, so I will be selling it. What would be a fair price for this?
armani-jacket-1.jpg
armani-jacket-2.jpg

Last edited:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed this, too. It's disconcerting, except they don't seem to know which items would actually be worth marking up, at least not around here.

thats better!:devil:

But seriously, it's kind of crazy in NYC how expensive most items with a recognizable brand name are even if they are in a terrible condition. I found a Lanvin jacket with a ton of pilling and ripped up arm holes for like 60... I don't know about anyone else but that's pretty ridiculous for me...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly they have an idea here. Stuff still slips through the cracks, but I've seen Zegna, Burberry and Barbour marked up in-store. They also pick through stuff and send to their boutique. I've found Thom Browne, Band of Outsiders, Isaia, Cucinelli and Oxxford there before. They know what they are doing. One particular thrift is in a very high-end area. I've noticed some major changes there as of late. I'm sure they hired a pricing expert that really does know what they are doing. They're killing the thrift-store experience. It's becoming less of a treasure hunt and more of a disappointment discovery.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did okay this weekend. Got a H. Freeman and Sons dark blue suit in my size, fits perfectly.

I have picked up two H. Freeman and Son suits so far and really like them. It was while wearing the navy one on a cruise earlier this year that I had a modestly attractive woman tell me how nice I looked for the first time since I was a 20 something a few decades back. :lol: Congrats, as they are usually fully canvassed and very nice material. Post some fit pics and let US determine if it fits perfectly or might need some tweaking at the alterations shop. Check out the WAYWRN thread. Lots to learn there. Trust me, I know. If you don't trust me, click on the link at the bottom of this post to see how bad I looked when I started here :uhoh:

We won't bite.

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Down in NC visiting family, visited a handful of stores today. Only pickups were two Chipp ties with dogs on them. Was disappointed to leave behind a Brooks Brothers wool overcoat in great shape - but missing the bottom button. Wasn't sure about finding a match so I left it. Last time I visited one of those stores, it gave up a near mint Oxxford suit, a pair of shell shoes and a Barba shirt. You win some you lose some! :)

Some pretty interesting stuff being posted lately. I like the nipple cream. :lol:

Yes, if there's something nice in 48-50 there are folks interested, myself included.

Oh - and prices are on the rise in my area too - there's one particular store that's really decided BB is worth marking up, and they have one section of rack marked off just for it. They price the shirts at 14.99 and the suits at 99.99 - honestly all it does is make me laugh.

Overall, I'm not sure how much of the increase in prices is due to actual education, but more the general tactic of "raising prices makes people think it's better so they'll maybe buy it." Lots of stores do this - they figure if they only sell a couple of items at the hugely-marked-up prices, hey, that's still more profit than at the normal price - and they'll still sell lots of it on markdown at what would have been the normal price. Can't blame them I suppose, but I'll go on hoping for obscure brands at cheap prices. ;) Recently I paid 14 bucks for a Banana Republic wool & cashmere coat to throw on the 'bay for a small amount - but the same store recently yielded a cashmere overcoat for under 5 bucks. Speaking of cashmere overcoats, I need to get my butt in gear next week and list some of this outerwear...

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I saw a bunch of over the counter medication at a local GW, Tylenol type stuff, I didn't they they were allowed to sell this stuff? lol..

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw a bunch of over the counter medication at a local GW, Tylenol type stuff, I didn't they they were allowed to sell this stuff? lol..

Hey, why not? You can buy Tylenol in coin-operated machines even. Once in a great while over-the-counter meds get put out up here too. I got a (still sealed) bottle of Advil once at GW, part of a donation of clearance items from the local Target - it was 99 cents for a medium-size bottle and we were out at home... so after checking it out very carefully I didn't see any reason not to pick it up. The bottle's about gone now, sadly, and I haven't seen any that cheap since.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Hey, why not? You can buy Tylenol in coin-operated machines even. Once in a great while over-the-counter meds get put out up here too. I got a (still sealed) bottle of Advil once at GW, part of a donation of clearance items from the local Target - it was 99 cents for a medium-size bottle and we were out at home... so after checking it out very carefully I didn't see any reason not to pick it up. The bottle's about gone now, sadly, and I haven't seen any that cheap since.

Oh IC,
might look into that in the future thanks

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love it! Good fit and the shades are a great touch! ...

Dear Dig, What a beautiful overcoat! You might want to have its sleeves let down enough to cover the shirt sleeve.

You look cool, I dig it :cool:

Awesome pickup ! pic would have been more awesome without the raybans i thnk

You like you came out of an ad. Fits like MTM

Thanks guys! It does fit me very closely, especially in that photo with a thick Harris Tweed underneath it. The sleeves will come down during the next round at the alterations shop and the Ray-Bans, well, I had passed up a pair at the same store a few months back and went back the next morning and they were already gone. No way I was passing on them this time. :slayer:

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have picked up two H. Freeman and Son suits so far and really like them. It was while wearing the navy one on a cruise earlier this year that I had a modestly attractive woman tell me how nice I looked for the first time since I was a 20 something a few decades back. :lol: Congrats, as they are usually fully canvassed and very nice material. Post some fit pics and let US determine if it fits perfectly or might need some tweaking at the alterations shop. Check out the WAYWRN thread. Lots to learn there. Trust me, I know. If you don't trust me, click on the link at the bottom of this post to see how bad I looked when I started here :uhoh:
We won't bite.

H Freeman doesn't get the love on here it should. For it's price point they make a nice suit. My local "good" mens store carries that for their entry level line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads