• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can imagine. I ride a bike too and love it in the summer. I just can't stand the cyclists that ride in the middle of the road and thinks the rules of the road don't apply to them. I see so many cyclists riding on the street and they just blow through stop signs, don't signal when they are turning, etc. It gets a little out of hand here. Especially in Uptown, what some say is the hipster capital of the world. They literally clog the streets and won't let you through. Gets annoying, which is why I either avoid the area or park and walk.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Picked up some pebblegrain long wings the other day... NOS, nunn bush I think, 8.5 D, pair in black and pair in brown, full leather sole and heels on them. I think I have a pair of NOS JC Penny ones too, all made in USA. Think those are like a 9.5. If anybody in here is interested I'm probably looking for like $55 shipped a pair, had to pay quite a bit more for them since they were new. Also working on my list of stuff to trade, halfway done
happy.gif

Oh, and cuz I haven't posted any pics lately - shoes I've found in the past 4-5 weeks:

The top row (left) is all shell cordovan... best pickup: AE Leeds, in black shell brand new in box.
And an awesome schlesinger bros bag I found (made in usa, looks like the retail is $416... "Classic Top Zip Brief Bag").
1zyahxu.jpg

wow crazy shoe finds...

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A really interesting find yesterday. I've never seen a fabric like this before. This is a NWT Etro single breasted, peak lapel jacket. The fabric is cotton and flax and appears to have a thin layer of navy flax bonded to the grey and maroon plaid under layer. The result is a pale plaid under the navy exterior. It has minimal construction to it and a 1/4 typically Etroesque lining. Really a striking coat. It'll being going up on B&S. The tag says its a EU 50, but I haven't done any measurements yet.

etro.jpg

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot about this, but last night I saw an Oxxford hanger. A rather OLD Oxxford hanger. I left it there, didn't want to hassle with trading for what's essentially a plain wood hanger with a sticker:

Ooookay.... one store today. But what a doozy. I hesitate to use the phrase "my best haul ever" because I don't want to limit myself... but I think this is it so far. I took *three and a half hours* and touched every single rack in the store, including boys AND girls... missed most of a family luncheon and my wife was LIVID until I showed her the stuff - then she was just mildly annoyed. ;)

Here's what I had in my cart and LEFT BEHIND (as best as I can remember anyway - I agonized over some of these decisions):
RL Made in Italy jacket, didn't even look for the pants - had a bit of "slubby silk" look on the back in a couple of spots
Versace Versus jacket - I'm pretty sure genuine - but the sleeve buttons were all torn off, though the center one was left. Who DOES that?!
Missoni Made in Italy suit - not very "loud" and it was a bit pricey.
Recent John Varvatos Made in Italy grey pinstripe jacket in a size 40 - could not find the pants. :(
Lands End Harris Tweed jacket in a smaller size... probably should have picked up for the Trad Thrift Exchange
Recent (as opposed to the old label) Canali Proposta suit in 46L - they wanted 35 bucks for it and that was just too hit-or-miss for selling, a bit pricey for trading... stuck in no-man's land.
Same label Canali Proposta three-button jacket in 46L - pretty sure it was an SC and maybe I should have picked it up, but I needed to cut costs SOMEWHERE... ;)
Gran Sasso merino wool sweater - too unpredictable to sell
Two Armani Collezioni suits
Six Armani Collezioni pants
Three Armani Collezioni ties
Bill's Khakis m2p waist 38 - but they had been hemmed to like a 29" inseam - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay.
Lacoste polo size 4 - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay
Bullock & Jones casual shirt XL
Bullock & Jones dress pants Made in Italy
Florsheim shell cordovan longwings - slight crack on one shoe, but the insides were in meh shape.
Edwin Nazario suit... :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: Picked it up based on the quality, put it back based on the price... just found out it's made by Caruso. Should have trusted my gut. Am going to try to stop by on the way out of town tomorrow to see if it's still there.

Half of that stuff would have been a pretty decent pickup ordinarily... potentially even with damages, in some cases. Do you guys snag Armani Collezioni to flip? I've shied away just because they seem kind of unpredictable and to be honest the brand doesn't interest me much. Seeing a huge pile left behind like I did today, though, makes me wonder if it would have been worthwhile to snag just as long as I was there.

Anyway, here's what I DID get...

Ties: l-r;
Italo Feretti - this says 100% silk but feels like wool/cashmere has got to be in there too - anyone know the deal with these?
Isaia
Giorgio Armani mainline recent - almost didn't get this one but figured it was worth a shot
Massimo Bizzochi x2
Cifonelli

RLPL polo, RLPL 100% cashmere turtleneck sweater... both XL, probably keeping the polo but the sweater's available.

Gran Sasso Italian wool & cashmere quarter-zip - on the fence about it, it's a slimmish XL

Raffaele Caruso suit, size 54 Italian, epic <3 - I want one of these for myself now after seeing this

Zanella flat-front pants w38 - "stripiness" is from the camera

Massimo Bizzochi suit - I thought these were made in Italy like the ties - but this says Handmade in Brooklyn - anyone know who makes this? Here's the tag:

Interesting cuff button style... pretty stylish if a bit overkill IMO:

Finally, maybe not the rarest thing I picked up, but my first one in the wild - an Isaia Aquaspider suit. Or that's what it was sold as... there's no label in the pants. I've never seen Isaia pants of this recent vintage up close - can anyone who has speculate if they are or not? The color matches, there's pick-stitched fly, pick-stitched pockets, double button closure in the straight-up-and-down style I've seen on the one older pair Isaia pants I have... it's just that there's no label. Probably because they were altered and the guy had the tailor take them out. Oh, and it's a size 52 drop 8l, base S. The pants waist measures 47cm - and they were let out by 3cm. 52 minus 8 = 44cm... so that lends further credence to the idea these are the correct Isaia pants, am I right?

I'm really hoping they are, partly because I'd like to let this go as a suit, but also because... there's another pair. That I left at the store. All the same styling and sewing, let out the same way as these, same absence of tags - but a grey line where the red one on these is. The same kind of grey as in the upper half of the earlier Gianluca Isaia label... and a kickass pattern, too. My guess is that if they are Isaias, there was formerly a pretty sweet Gianluca Isaia jacket that someone picked up because it would look fine as an SC. If I go back tomorrow, should I pick those up? Without a label, selling would seem to be nearly impossible, but would anyone on the thread be interested maybe? The pattern would definitely be conducive to odd pants.

Anyway, here's pics:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Interesting as I picked up a Schlesinger bag last week, and I never find good briefcases. Does yours have a monogram?

And an awesome schlesinger bros bag I found (made in usa, looks like the retail is $416... "Classic Top Zip Brief Bag").

1zyahxu.jpg

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Forgot about this, but last night I saw an Oxxford hanger. A rather OLD Oxxford hanger. I left it there, didn't want to hassle with trading for what's essentially a plain wood hanger with a sticker:

Ooookay.... one store today. But what a doozy. I hesitate to use the phrase "my best haul ever" because I don't want to limit myself... but I think this is it so far. I took *three and a half hours* and touched every single rack in the store, including boys AND girls... missed most of a family luncheon and my wife was LIVID until I showed her the stuff - then she was just mildly annoyed.
wink.gif

Here's what I had in my cart and LEFT BEHIND (as best as I can remember anyway - I agonized over some of these decisions):
RL Made in Italy jacket, didn't even look for the pants - had a bit of "slubby silk" look on the back in a couple of spots
Versace Versus jacket - I'm pretty sure genuine - but the sleeve buttons were all torn off, though the center one was left. Who DOES that?!
Missoni Made in Italy suit - not very "loud" and it was a bit pricey.
Recent John Varvatos Made in Italy grey pinstripe jacket in a size 40 - could not find the pants.
frown.gif

Lands End Harris Tweed jacket in a smaller size... probably should have picked up for the Trad Thrift Exchange
Recent (as opposed to the old label) Canali Proposta suit in 46L - they wanted 35 bucks for it and that was just too hit-or-miss for selling, a bit pricey for trading... stuck in no-man's land.
Same label Canali Proposta three-button jacket in 46L - pretty sure it was an SC and maybe I should have picked it up, but I needed to cut costs SOMEWHERE...
wink.gif

Gran Sasso merino wool sweater - too unpredictable to sell
Two Armani Collezioni suits
Six Armani Collezioni pants
Three Armani Collezioni ties
Bill's Khakis m2p waist 38 - but they had been hemmed to like a 29" inseam - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay.
Lacoste polo size 4 - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay
Bullock & Jones casual shirt XL
Bullock & Jones dress pants Made in Italy
Florsheim shell cordovan longwings - slight crack on one shoe, but the insides were in meh shape.
Edwin Nazario suit...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Picked it up based on the quality, put it back based on the price... just found out it's made by Caruso. Should have trusted my gut. Am going to try to stop by on the way out of town tomorrow to see if it's still there.
Half of that stuff would have been a pretty decent pickup ordinarily... potentially even with damages, in some cases. Do you guys snag Armani Collezioni to flip? I've shied away just because they seem kind of unpredictable and to be honest the brand doesn't interest me much. Seeing a huge pile left behind like I did today, though, makes me wonder if it would have been worthwhile to snag just as long as I was there.
Anyway, here's what I DID get...
Ties: l-r;
Italo Feretti - this says 100% silk but feels like wool/cashmere has got to be in there too - anyone know the deal with these?
Isaia
Giorgio Armani mainline recent - almost didn't get this one but figured it was worth a shot
Massimo Bizzochi x2
Cifonelli

RLPL polo, RLPL 100% cashmere turtleneck sweater... both XL, probably keeping the polo but the sweater's available.

Gran Sasso Italian wool & cashmere quarter-zip - on the fence about it, it's a slimmish XL

Raffaele Caruso suit, size 54 Italian, epic <3 - I want one of these for myself now after seeing this

Zanella flat-front pants w38 - "stripiness" is from the camera

Massimo Bizzochi suit - I thought these were made in Italy like the ties - but this says Handmade in Brooklyn - anyone know who makes this? Here's the tag:

Interesting cuff button style... pretty stylish if a bit overkill IMO:

Finally, maybe not the rarest thing I picked up, but my first one in the wild - an Isaia Aquaspider suit. Or that's what it was sold as... there's no label in the pants. I've never seen Isaia pants of this recent vintage up close - can anyone who has speculate if they are or not? The color matches, there's pick-stitched fly, pick-stitched pockets, double button closure in the straight-up-and-down style I've seen on the one older pair Isaia pants I have... it's just that there's no label. Probably because they were altered and the guy had the tailor take them out. Oh, and it's a size 52 drop 8l, base S. The pants waist measures 47cm - and they were let out by 3cm. 52 minus 8 = 44cm... so that lends further credence to the idea these are the correct Isaia pants, am I right?
I'm really hoping they are, partly because I'd like to let this go as a suit, but also because... there's another pair. That I left at the store. All the same styling and sewing, let out the same way as these, same absence of tags - but a grey line where the red one on these is. The same kind of grey as in the upper half of the earlier Gianluca Isaia label... and a kickass pattern, too. My guess is that if they are Isaias, there was formerly a pretty sweet Gianluca Isaia jacket that someone picked up because it would look fine as an SC. If I go back tomorrow, should I pick those up? Without a label, selling would seem to be nearly impossible, but would anyone on the thread be interested maybe? The pattern would definitely be conducive to odd pants.
Anyway, here's pics:

thats a great day. NC folks really donate some quality stuff, and there must be no flippers around. I'm no ISAIA expert, but I hope those match up for you. Nat probably knows.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy ****, WGP... thats an insane haul.
The Bizzocchi suit is made by Martin Greenfield. Great one.
If you are selling that Cifonelli tie, get at me. :)

+1. Crazy! You'll remember this score for a long time.

As for those Isaia pants, those look to be the correct ones for that suit. The gray stripe ones are also Isaia, but are a little older. From the 2003-2005 label. Go back and see if the jacket may have been put out later?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. Crazy! You'll remember this score for a long time.
As for those Isaia pants, those look to be the correct ones for that suit. The gray stripe ones are also Isaia, but are a little older. From the 2003-2005 label. Go back and see if the jacket may have been put out later?

Sweeeeet. I'll definitely be going back tomorrow barring act of God and picking up the other Caruso suit and the Isaia pants. There IS a chance they might have been odd pants - I'll pick them up even without the jacket, probably someone on SF if not in this thread will be interested even without tags. Wonder why the guy took all labels out of them... who knows.

Spoo - thanks for the info on the Bizzochi. It's interesting, I've seen several different things made by Greenfield now for BBGF, Bizzochi and Martin Greenfield's own label - and all have been VERY different. I haven't decided for sure about which ties I'm keeping. I can probably let the Cifonelli go, but let me at least get back to Ohio before deciding for sure. ;)

Italo Ferretti - anyone have any idea why it says 100% silk but does NOT feel like it? I think I remember someone else mentioning that brand with that happening - was it you, Nat?

That reminds me, I left a Zegna wool & cashmere tie there... it was the older label, hence why I left it. Pretty nice heathered blue. If anyone's interested for a cheap seasonal tie, hit me up before tomorrow.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting as I picked up a Schlesinger bag last week, and I never find good briefcases. Does yours have a monogram?

No monogram, I actually found an 80's gucci bag with this too and yeah I don't usually see anything worth picking up bag wise, god knows I always waste time looking though :foo:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice scores WGP...looks like where you are at beat's the C'bus or the Nati. And you were just saying you never see Isaia. I have a Italo Ferretti that I bought at Stocks when they closed. Mine is a more traditional silk.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Italo Ferretti - anyone have any idea why it says 100% silk but does NOT feel like it? I think I remember someone else mentioning that brand with that happening - was it you, Nat?

Never found a Ferretii before, so couldn't have been me. Perhaps it's a raw silk tie? I've seen ties that stated 100% Pure silk, but feel like polyester. These are usually older (1980s's and prior), can't figure that one out either.

Also, what size is the MB suit? I might be interested in that and possibly the Isaia. I don't wear suits much anymore, but wouldn't mind having a nice, solid color staple suit in my wardrobe.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
A really interesting find yesterday. I've never seen a fabric like this before. This is a NWT Etro single breasted, peak lapel jacket. The fabric is cotton and flax and appears to have a thin layer of navy flax bonded to the grey and maroon plaid under layer. The result is a pale plaid under the navy exterior. It has minimal construction to it and a 1/4 typically Etroesque lining. Really a striking coat. It'll being going up on B&S. The tag says its a EU 50, but I haven't done any measurements yet.
etro.jpg

NWT ETRO nice Tony.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A really interesting find yesterday. I've never seen a fabric like this before. This is a NWT Etro single breasted, peak lapel jacket. The fabric is cotton and flax and appears to have a thin layer of navy flax bonded to the grey and maroon plaid under layer. The result is a pale plaid under the navy exterior. It has minimal construction to it and a 1/4 typically Etroesque lining. Really a striking coat. It'll being going up on B&S.

Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads