• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any clue who the maker of these shoes may be?

All they say on the sole is "Genuine Shell Cordovan" and I can faintly make out the size of 8 1/2 D on one of them. I think thy may be Hanover's. They cleaned up very nicely and will be looking for a new home.

jlandman1

Reaction score
Found this really great looking Harris Tweed (handwritten date 11/11/61). Does anyone know what the function of the piece of fabric w/ 2 buttons adjacent to the interior label is? Ive thrifted a ton of jackets, but I've never seen that before.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Any clue who the maker of these shoes may be?

All they say on the sole is "Genuine Shell Cordovan" and I can faintly make out the size of 8 1/2 D on one of them. I think thy may be Hanover's. They cleaned up very nicely and will be looking for a new home.

Those are Hanovers. I have those exact shoes which I also thrifted.

MattR

Reaction score
While I didn't pick up any major clothing items (except a BB camelhair for the lady of the house), I did visit two GWs in the area that I'd never been to before and found they both sold silk scarves of various sizes. Found a Lands' End in navy blue in a sailboat pattern and a red silk/chinnon geometric design from Echo. These two I'm keeping as pocket squares.

The third is a much larger (probably 2x2) yellow and blue silk scarf with a maze pattern tagged as a Versace, although I'm holding off judgment until I can post a photo here to see if someone can help confirm. Interestingly, I found the alleged Versace after a woman in front of me picked up a wonderful black & white silk scarf with a hunting scene on it. I was hoping she'd put it back down, but her mother urged her to get it :)fu:).

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Out in Cali on business so had to hit of some local thrifts. Harris Tweed in 42R, Canali Tie < $1 and Charvet Shirt 38. (click pictures for larger view)

Can someone confirm the Charvet shirt is real? 1st one I have seen/thrifted and from google the pattern matching should line up better on the yoke/sleeve. It is a high quality shirt, mop buttons, etc and also fits!!! Which is rare for most thrift store shirts in general!

Also anyone can somewhat date this Harris Tweed? I think its more recent due to the larger inside tag, pockets sewn shut and printed size tag in the pocket then some of the other Harris Tweeds I've seen. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Out in Cali on business so had to hit of some local thrifts. Harris Tweed in 42R, Canali Tie < $1 and Charvet Shirt 38. (click pictures for larger view) Can someone confirm the Charvet shirt is real? 1st one I have seen/thrifted and from google the pattern matching should line up better on the yoke/sleeve. It is a high quality shirt, mop buttons, etc and also fits!!! Which is rare for most thrift store shirts in general! Also anyone can somewhat date this Harris Tweed? I think its more recent due to the larger inside tag, pockets sewn shut and printed size tag in the pocket then some of the other Harris Tweeds I've seen. Thanks in advance
I love trip/vacation thrifting. Like the Canali tie as well

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isnt exactly a thrift but I bought a pair of Klaxon Howl jeans from a guy on Craigslist for a really good price. Since they make their denim with a 38" inseam I took them to a local alterations place that a lot of people had recommended and told them the length I wanted them. I went back to get them a few days later and they had totally shortened the pants at least 2 inches more than I asked. The lady who owns the place said that I could go and buy a brand new pair and she would refund me the money after. I dont think she was too impressed when I told her they were over $300 with taxes new.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Dang, that sucks! I'm very picky with my alterations. If it's an expensive piece, I'll drive 40 minutes into uptown, dodge mass quantities of hipsters on bikes and bring them to Top Shelf. They specialize in high-end stuff like Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, etc. They know what the stuff is and won't treat it like a $40 pair of Wranglers.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Dang, that sucks! I'm very picky with my alterations. If it's an expensive piece, I'll drive 40 minutes into uptown, dodge mass quantities of hipsters on bikes and bring them to Top Shelf. They specialize in high-end stuff like Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, etc. They know what the stuff is and won't treat it like a $40 pair of Wranglers.

Why do you avoid hitting them? :confused:

I am going to be bringing a sc to them soon, will post results. Nataku do you know a reweaver in the area?

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The funny thing is that the place I took them to was the place I considered higher end for alterations. I usually take my stuff to a place that I used to live by but I moved recently and this place called Studio Kim was a lot closer to my place so I decided to pay the extra money to have this pair of jeans worked on.

I looked up some information online about Studio Kim and apparently they have recently hired a bunch of new employees to do the simple alterations and I guess I got stuck with one of the new girls.

There is a place near Queen and Brock in Toronto called Sun King Cleaners and there is a girl named Sherri who works there and she is great. She is the only person who does the alterations so you always know exactly what you are going to get and I will be taking all my stuff there even though its out of the way for me.

Despite all the recommendations you may get for Studio Kim in Toronto I suggest you stay away unless you like looking like Thom Browne.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you avoid hitting them? :confused:

I am going to be bringing a sc to them soon, will post results. Nataku do you know a reweaver in the area?

Sometimes I wonder that too....

Cool, let me know what you think. Unfortunately I don't know of a local reweaver. I know there are some good ones in NYC. You may consider mailing it into them.

The funny thing is that the place I took them to was the place I considered higher end for alterations. I usually take my stuff to a place that I used to live by but I moved recently and this place called Studio Kim here in Toronto was always the one I went to for higher end stuff was a lot closer to my place so I decided to pay the extra money to have this pair of jeans worked on. I guess in the end I am happy they paid for a new pair of jeans. The ones I bought off the guy on Craigslist were used so I ended up with a brand new pair.

Man, you can't really trust anyone to do the job right these days. Glad it worked out for the better in the end, though!

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some pebblegrain long wings the other day... NOS, nunn bush I think, 8.5 D, pair in black and pair in brown, full leather sole and heels on them. I think I have a pair of NOS JC Penny ones too, all made in USA. Think those are like a 9.5. If anybody in here is interested I'm probably looking for like $55 shipped a pair, had to pay quite a bit more for them since they were new. Also working on my list of stuff to trade, halfway done :happy:

Oh, and cuz I haven't posted any pics lately - shoes I've found in the past 4-5 weeks:

The top row (left) is all shell cordovan... best pickup: AE Leeds, in black shell brand new in box.

And an awesome schlesinger bros bag I found (made in usa, looks like the retail is $416... "Classic Top Zip Brief Bag").

1zyahxu.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads