• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Funnily enough they arrived yesterday. Turns out they are riding boots, worn by officers. Hard to get on and off (unless you have an orderly/manservant) because they are so close-fitting. Definitely not designed for marching in, just for strutting around in. I paid so little for them (6 Euros!) that I'm thinking I might cut off the shafts and make them into DIY ankle boots. And strip the polish, because they're very light coloured leather underneath. Maybe even sand off the surface to have the rough out look.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, but not the munky guy, sheez. he is not very bright, unfortunately.
Are you taking the piss? I think I'm not only speaking for myself when I say it's not appreciated.

@Munky is one of the most illuminating personalities on this thread. And, not for nothing, he's unfailingly charitable. Humbling in his graciousness.

Sincerely,
Jay

benhour

Reaction score
I just picked up some Saphir Renovateur (Beaute di Cuir line) and trying it on some disposable brown leather shoes. How do you avoid getting the leather all blotchy and dark as if you just walked in the rain and got the shoes wet? Looks like the leather soaked in the oil and you can't get it out even just after the recommended 3 mins before buffing.

Generally when you are using renovateur have in mind "les is more" with it!! you are going to need a tiny amount for every shoe and spread it evenly but a little fast ! the darkening ll go off after 4-5 days(most of it)! If you want to minimise that effect try using a product which is water based or has very little amount of oils in it( Bick 4 or 1909 cream ll do the trick)!

To be honest, I think waiting 3 minutes is too long. I have found that if reno dries too much it is very, very difficult to brush to a shine. 2 minutes tops, ime.
I totally agree !! most of the time 1,5-2 min and i buff the shoes when i use renovateur

I hopped i helped a little bit!:laugh:

Ps: Calling Munky names, teaching DWFII about shoe making, telling patrickBooth about vinegar solutions and shoes trolls never stop to amaze me !

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys but over forty years in the field of psychiatry has given me a hide like an ox. And probably a brain like one! Now...what was that about Renovateur? Every good wish, Munky.

A hide like zug more like it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benhour, I hope you are feeling a lot better. I thought that Renovateur was water based. Is this not the case?

Talking of zug, I managed to find myself another hog hair brush on Amazon. I bought the first one to brush my zug shoes and the latest one for my new suede chukka boots. You have to dig around in Facebook to find the brush and there seems to be only one type available. Sincerely yours, Munky.

Last edited:

ShoeWho

Reaction score
For fans of Renovateur, of which I am one, I have started buying Tarrago Mink Oil for shoes which are not swanky enough to deserve Renovateur. Here in the UK the Tarrago stuff is £4.20 per 100 ml including shipping, compared to £16.00 or more per 100 ml for Renovateur excluding shipping....quite a difference if you have an addiction like me and can't stop buying really decrepit boots which need rescuing. Saphir also sells mink oil for £14.40 per 100 ml. It's impossible to tell how concentrated the various products are. So maybe the Saphir ones have a bigger contribution from those poor dead mink. But the Tarrago stuff seems powerful...a little goes a long way.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little shoe care on a pair of EG Galways. Certainly not a difficult job but because of the burnishing, it's not as simple as slathering on heavy layer of dark brown cream. Had to be careful to fill in the nicks while maintaining the burnished effect.

Started by cleaning with a damp cloth to remove salt and other impurities. Brushed, used a bit of renovateur to clean. Since I've waxed the toe, I need to remove that wax, so the new layer of cream absorbs into the leather nick, not just sits atop the old wax. Applied dark brown cream sparingly and accurately, followed by a bit more wax to seal and protect.

I've worn these boots a lot this winter. I think the damage occurs on planes from the seat in front of me. I end up wearing them for 2-3 days consecutively due to travel. It's not ideal but I'm not losing sleep over it either. I wipe down, brush and tree them at night. I don't want to travel with 2 pair of dress shoes for 1-2 night trips. Next step is a little edge trim care.

eg_polish.jpg

2019-03-01 10.31.57.jpg
2019-03-01 11.11.24.jpg

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Wow, you've done a fantastic job with those nicks. 1000% professional. I hope I can achieve similar results on my boots and shoes.

horseman40

Reaction score
Hello: I have a question. Is the Allen Edmonds Cleaner Conditioner as good, comparable to and as effective as the Saphir Renovateur? I have always used the AE products but now I'm seeing so much written about Renovateur that I'm wondering. Thank you

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello: I have a question. Is the Allen Edmonds Cleaner Conditioner as good, comparable to and as effective as the Saphir Renovateur? I have always used the AE products but now I'm seeing so much written about Renovateur that I'm wondering. Thank you

i have never used Allen Edmond's cream. But i am a big fan of Saphir Renovateur. it is quite simply the best, especially if u dont want any alteration to the color of ur shoes. i have tried a lot of conditioners from a lot of companies but the Saphir Renovateuris the best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads