• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The regular wax will work just as well, but just take longer. I am still neck deep in my third-of-life crisis, btw. I think it will transition nicely into my mid-life crisis!

Reaction score
The regular wax will work just as well, but just take longer. I am still neck deep in my third-of-life crisis, btw. I think it will transition nicely into my mid-life crisis!

By regular you mean saphir's 'beaute du cuir' line waxes or any wax ? (guessing it's the former, because it's hard to imagine there is any "any" anything when it comes to shoe care on SF, but I what do I know..)

Well then beware of the sudden realization, that you need to buy big cc bike. Selling it few years after for a custom van, because your knees hurts, traveling -in your case- all around the US just with your dog, because you actually don't need people. But that's just my observation, NY way of going through with such thing must be rather different.

josef1

Reaction score
Thank you. Makes sense now, I was(am) novice and I was just happy that i did it "right" afther watching Kirby's "how to".
I guess i will trust the Renomat and use it more carefully, because last time I wanted just to clean my AE with leather soap, shoes ended up like this: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/ae-mcallister-in-merlot-ruined.631596/

oh damn! haha I know though renomat should be safe to use and not affect the dye too much (given that the dye was done well). So this is surprising with AEs. I actually did a full reset before with Renomat on my Meermins with no ill effects at all such as that. My pair just ended up matte and a bit lighter.

Did you use a lot of it? Or maybe its how AE dyes their shoes?

I say this time around just use really little just to remove the cracked wax buildup :)

benhour

Reaction score
oh damn! haha I know though renomat should be safe to use and not affect the dye too much (given that the dye was done well). So this is surprising with AEs. I actually did a full reset before with Renomat on my Meermins with no ill effects at all such as that. My pair just ended up matte and a bit lighter.

I say this time around just use really little just to remove the cracked wax buildup :)
This is a classic symptom of AE shoes ! After the shoes are made they are using a spray finish on the shoes ( fast patina spray ) which is very easy to be disturbed or damaged completely when you are using a harsh / strong cleaning solution or agent !
Generally Renomat is a very strong solution and you have to be very careful and modest with its application!

Thilgela

Reaction score
Same here with Renomat. It causes more troubles than benefits. I recently used a small amount on this shoe and it is creating these dirty black spots. Anyway I can remove these by using another product?

81B3E4E6-EAE3-44AE-8E70-745422533ED9.jpeg

Thanks!

Reaction score
Carmina Snuff Chukka this morning View attachment 1123485

This is a classic symptom of AE shoes ! After the shoes are made they are using a spray finish on the shoes ( fast patina spray ) which is very easy to be disturbed or damaged completely when you are using a harsh / strong cleaning solution or agent !
Generally Renomat is a very strong solution and you have to be very careful and modest with its application!

As I was pointing out, the AE damage was done by this (see pic) leather soap. I went ahead and used it gently on heel, but it started removing colour like mad, so I ended up going through with it all the way and had to recolour with Saphir dye.
51652007_2023562897692985_1071820826862419968_n.jpg
To be honest I was pretty pissed, because I thought AE is supposed to be at the pricepoint where this shouldn't be an issue.

I was also under the impresion, that renomat is the safe option ( remember the AE damage was done by soap). Seeing what the soap managed to do, i was thinking abou using renomat instead when cleaning next time, but if what you are saying is true and it can still be harsh on leather, what would be a step down from renomat then ?

josef1

Reaction score
Same here with Renomat. It causes more troubles than benefits. I recently used a small amount on this shoe and it is creating these dirty black spots. Anyway I can remove these by using another product?

View attachment 1124597

Thanks!

Did you rub these fast and hard? Seems like that just might be saturated/wet. Let it dry first for a full day.

I personally never had problems with Renomat whilst applying sparingly. I was able to strip off all the old wax off my 3 pairs when I made the switch to an "All Saphir" care regiment.

Be careful tho, thats why I mentioned the rubbing "fast and hard". My ease of experience with Renomat made me too confident in cleaning a spot on my shoes once, making me rub deep and quick, resulting in a burnished permanent dark spot. When using Renomat, or any cleaner actually and that includes water, never rub fast/deep/hard to avoid "burnishing" the leather. I found out after that rubbing leather when wet is actually how burnishing is done. Some people use that technique to seal cut edges as well haha lesson learned.

josef1

Reaction score
As I was pointing out, the AE damage was done by this (see pic) leather soap. I went ahead and used it gently on heel, but it started removing colour like mad, so I ended up going through with it all the way and had to recolour with Saphir dye.
View attachment 1124601
To be honest I was pretty pissed, because I thought AE is supposed to be at the pricepoint where this shouldn't be an issue.

I was also under the impresion, that renomat is the safe option ( remember the AE damage was done by soap). Seeing what the soap managed to do, i was thinking abou using renomat instead when cleaning next time, but if what you are saying is true and it can still be harsh on leather, what would be a step down from renomat then ?

Renomat shouldnt be used for everyday cleaning. I wouldnt say its "harsh" unless used in excess, but I would reserve the use of this only if you were stripping waxes off, or dabbing out a bad stain. For general cleaning, I would stick with Renovateur.

Reaction score
Renomat shouldnt be used for everyday cleaning. I wouldnt say its "harsh" unless used in excess, but I would reserve the use of this only if you were stripping waxes off, or dabbing out a bad stain. For general cleaning, I would stick with Renovateur.

Those were exactly my two cents, but @benhour suprised me with that 'very strong' statement.

josef1

Reaction score
Heres a before and after shot of my Meermin Double Monks in chestnut antique calf, before and after Renomat.
Capture.JPG
Before on left, after on right. Got a bit lighter after 2 years of old Kiwi waxes removed, but still retained its original finish.

Capture2.JPG
After result of coats of Saphir Light Brown cream and some mirror shining.

Capture3.JPG
The permanent dark spot result of "rubbing fast and hard" with Renomat. (this happened on the heel as well, not seen here)

Capture4.JPG
End result after meticulous coating and blending of creams and "Saphir Renovating Repair Cream". The spots are still a bit seen in certain lighting. Hard to get the perfect shade without having various colors of the repair cream.
Nightmare at first but was a learning experiment trying to fix.

benhour

Reaction score
I think I have said it in the past once but I think It is better to mention it again ! Renomat is a strong chemical and you have to use it sparingly ( I use it once -twice a year and more often only to remove mirror finish ) !

The safest way to use it is to just dump a cloth and pass it lightly over the shoe ! No rubbing or pushing ! (On black shoes do what ever you want, it’s easy to cover the mess hahaha )
Safer alternatives are Renovateur ,cream universale , 1909 leather cream and make up or baby cleaning wipes (yes you read correctly and you can tell your wife or girlfriend that I am the reason she is missing her wipes hahah )

benhour

Reaction score
I don’t know if you remember these 9B853CBB-6E84-4895-9D32-5675C444A1F4.jpeg turning into these ( see in my profile for the old post) 13449C00-46BF-4896-BA64-3A9E094EAD2D.jpeg 98B39AA9-68D3-445F-A409-BB4FFBCFACAF.jpeg but I was again bored of the color (unexpected for me hahah) so I tried to turn them into forest green with lighter undertones !
6D895E02-B850-4753-99DC-2783AECC0B70.jpeg
379635B3-8AD8-4F8D-8E40-5C0678BB2034.jpeg
F5175238-687C-4604-8B92-8EF7FE8F304F.jpeg
105E0023-B821-4ADE-91CB-9134BB5F9888.jpeg
9D91BB9F-CEEB-4A07-8DAB-62963C6170FF.jpeg
Enjoy Gents and I hope you like the outcome !:laugh:

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Awesome posts fellas.

Interesting, and perhaps appropos that the young man undid his own argument in his own last paragraph....smh
That's complete nonsense! You guys can't/won't comprehend the simplest logic. I won't try to explain it again. Let's get back to shoe care.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if you remember these View attachment 1124609 turning into these ( see in my profile for the old post) View attachment 1124610 View attachment 1124611 but I was again bored of the color (unexpected for me hahah) so I tried to turn them into forest green with lighter undertones ! View attachment 1124613 View attachment 1124615 View attachment 1124614 View attachment 1124616 View attachment 1124617 Enjoy Gents and I hope you like the outcome !:laugh:

Those are beautiful, Benhour! All good wishes, Munky

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads