• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only done this with one pair, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here's a picture of the process:

I really do not recommend doing this on a pair that you are not willing to ruin.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only done this with one pair, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here's a picture of the process:

I really do not recommend doing this on a pair that you are not willing to ruin.
Great work! Did you finished it with wax and creams or coatings?

treipok

Reaction score
Could anyone give me some advice or personal experience? Perhaps it seems like a weird or stupid question but if you spend 500/600$ in a pair of shoes, I'd like to properly care them... There ir goes: do you lace up the shoes when you put in the shoe trees after wearing? I usually don't but I've noticed that if I lace up the shoes with the shoe trees in, then the shoee trees seem to adapt a little bit better, so perhaps it is a good idea to keep the shoes laced up in the wardrobe.... And then, how do you tie the laces of your oxfords and derbys? I tie them in a european(bar)... Crisscrossed underneath but bar in the upper side. Is this correct for both oxfords and derbys? Thank you very much guys in advance!!!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Derby's are usually/traditionally laced XXX

Oxfords |||||

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there anything that can be done to repair/help with this scratch?
Yes, you can make it much less noticeable. You can strip the whole toe cap with a solvent and with a cream add some color and buff it out. Then I would start bulling the toe to fill in the scratch. That will make it much less noticeable, however if you are still overly concerned with it even somewhat noticeable you can strip them down and fill the space with Saphir's Repair Cream and then bull over it.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is this "home owned" brand, Robson's Beeswax Shoe Polish, which is a very thick paste wax polish that I would recommend. However, any shoe cream high in coloring content should be able to cover that up sufficiently. If the shoes are veg tanned leather, be sure to burnish the surface for uniform grain appearance.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is this "home owned" brand, Robson's Beeswax Shoe Polish, which is a very thick paste wax polish that I would recommend. However, any shoe cream high in coloring content should be able to cover that up sufficiently. If the shoes are veg tanned leather, be sure to burnish the surface for uniform grain appearance. 

Robson's beeswax polish is way too think and don't solidify as well compare to Saphir wax polish.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robson's beeswax polish is way too think and don't solidify as well compare to Saphir wax polish.
A thin, light coat serves well for the purpose of recoloring and sealing. It's a sealing paste wax, one that is better for brushing. Saphir's waxes are best for bulling, for what I've experienced.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like your scarf, it is not that bad IMO. Just keep brushing and polish them once in a while. You will learn to live with it without any problem.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A thin, light coat serves well for the purpose of recoloring and sealing. It's a sealing paste wax, one that is better for brushing. Saphir's waxes are best for bulling, for what I've experienced. 

It would be difficult to build up wax mirror shine on top of Robsons. Great wax for matted shine, hard to mirror or to use as base layer.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry that I cannot answer that question.
Maybe someone else here has that experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics