• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Lexol ph-balanced leather cleaner and lexol "1008" leather conditioner on their way and should be in my hands be the end of the day. It should be a productive shoe care weekend.
make sure you give time for the conditioner to set in before following up with any polishes on top especially if the shoes haven't been conditioned in a while.

rjonea

Reaction score
make sure you give time for the conditioner to set in before following up with any polishes on top especially if the shoes haven't been conditioned in a while.
Got ya. I didnt plan to use any polishes for now, but will keep in mind if I do decide to down the road.

I'll prob hit them all tonight with the cleaner then a round of conditioner. Wait till Sat morning to start brushing them. Then possibly another round of conditioner if any shoes look like they need it.

Buffing cloths should be here sometime next week.

Plan to start simple for now and make sure I have my bases covered first before I decide if I need to head down the road of polishes and different color waxes.

AxlJack

Reaction score
Does anyone know why this is happening. These were closed channel soles from pediwears handmade collection.

I was thinking of asking the cobbler to put rubber soles on these. Any suggestions to stop this degrading more?

Chowkin

Reaction score
If you prefer to retain the leather soles, you can get flush metal toe plates installed at the tips where the wear is most prominent.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, thanks for that, Yellow. The jar says 'leave for an hour before brushing'.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just put some Meltonian cream on my shoes and brushed it off. How long do I need to wait before applying some wax?

benhour

Reaction score
I just put some Meltonian cream on my shoes and brushed it off. How long do I need to wait before applying some wax?
generally you can go right after!(when a shine is raising after buffing you are ready to go for the wax)

ds11

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read about removing polish with acetone or alcohol, though am wondering about reducing much of the shine of these burnished cobbler shoes. I'm a little unclear on if this differs. Does anyone have an idea of how to approach dulling this type of finish? Here's a picture.

Thanks

http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/daley/

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read about removing polish with acetone or alcohol, though am wondering about reducing much of the shine of these burnished cobbler shoes. I'm a little unclear on if this differs. Does anyone have an idea of how to approach dulling this type of finish? Here's a picture.

Thanks

Looks like it's CG leather. Finish is not removable.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks

Trek them through the mud some...it will fix the problem.

ds11

Reaction score
Looks like it's CG leather. Finish is not removable.

This is leather sanded down? I'd like to keep the color on top of the leather. Barker says they receive the leather already finished (I assume this means the coloring and some protection?), and then they burnish it within their factory to achieve the shine. They won't custom order one pair skipping the burnishing step so won't a little bit of alcohol or acetone dissolve a bit of the shiny top layer? How does CG at the bottom layer affect it? Thanks

Trek them through the mud some...it will fix the problem.

Will this shine wear off naturally due to the elements? If so I can prematurely do this evenly correct?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=454434]Hello, I have read about removing polish with acetone or alcohol, though am wondering about reducing much of the shine of these burnished cobbler shoes. I'm a little unclear on if this differs. Does anyone have an idea of how to approach dulling this type of finish? Here's a picture. Thanks[/COLOR] [COLOR=454434] [/COLOR][COLOR=1155CC]http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/daley/[/COLOR]
I refinished an older pair of shoes that I believe was also CG. I used a lot of acetone and elbow grease. I did this as an experiment, willing to accept the possibility that I would ruin the shoes. I ended up stripping all of the finish after going a little too far in one spot. They turned out fine, but they were not new and expensive. If you try this yourself, are you really willing to risk ruining your shoes?

Last edited:

ds11

Reaction score
I refinished an older pair of shoes that I believe was also CG. I used a lot of acetone and elbow grease. I did this as an experiment, willing to accept the possibility that I would ruin the shoes. I ended up stripping all of the finish after going a little too far in one spot. They turned out fine, but they were not new and expensive.
If you try this yourself, are you really willing to risk ruining your shoes?
No but I am willing to pay the leather worker who's changing a belt buckle for me to do it. Thanks for sharing your experience; that's good to know! Does CG make it more difficult?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads