• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been using a shining method by shoe snob on YouTube. It involves cleaning, leather lotion/conditioner, pollish, then 4 subsequent water/pollish shinings. Is this a good method or are some saying that the conditioner/lotion is a waste of money/time?

Jurgis

Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider those in bad condition yet alone tired.
I would consider those very wearable, too. If you are asking if there is any way to get the toe creases to disappear, then no, there is not. You may be able to smooth them out a bit by conditioning, then putting in shoe trees, but I suspect the former owner used trees too, by the way the uppers taper toward the heel. Most non-shell shoes will have some toe creases after only a few wearings, and as long as the leather isn't cracking or splitting, it's okay. I'd be tempted by those myself, if they were my size and brown.

Itsuo

Reaction score

I've been using a shining method by shoe snob on YouTube. It involves cleaning, leather lotion/conditioner, pollish, then 4 subsequent water/pollish shinings. Is this a good method or are some saying that the conditioner/lotion is a waste of money/time?

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I wouldn't do the entire routine every time you care for your shoes. For example, "cleaning" with a brush can be done every time you wear them. As for the other steps, it completely depends how much you wear them and how you want them to look. But I would say generally speaking of the three, condition less often and wax more often and polish somewhere in between. As needed.

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I wouldn't do the entire routine every time you care for your shoes. For example, "cleaning" with a brush can be done every time you wear them. As for the other steps, it completely depends how much you wear them and how you want them to look. But I would say generally speaking of the three, condition less often and wax more often and polish somewhere in between. As needed.

this is a great method for the once in a while routine. It is very thorough and keeps great care of the shoes.

For normal use, brush them overtime.
For every few, you can add either conditioner or polish as needed to keep it moisturized and with enough pigment in them.
Use the wax if you want to keep a mirror shine. If you don't need the mirror, then just do it every once in a great while for added protective qualities.

Stemo79

Reaction score
Has the conditioner argument abated yet?

Come on guys, why can't we all just get along...?
cheers.gif

Stemo79

Reaction score
Justin's techniques are pretty good and I've spoken with him on occasion regards it, he certainly does know his stuff. I haven't seen the video in question but he generally infers that the full regime is only when you're stripping the wax back and starting fresh. If you already have the shine and the wax is still looking good then you only really need to keep shining, adding a little wax or conditioner now and again.

You certainly don't want to be doing the whole shebang every time you polish your shoes.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just been given a tub of Oliver Sweeney 'Brush Up' polish. It contains: beeswax, carnauba wax, lanolin, sea buckthorn oil and neatsfoot oil. I had never heard of sea buckthorn oil before and can't find any reference to it as a shoe product. Does this cream sound like a good thing to use on your shoes?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just been given a tub of Oliver Sweeney 'Brush Up' polish. It contains: beeswax, carnauba wax, lanolin, sea buckthorn oil and neatsfoot oil. I had never heard of sea buckthorn oil before and can't find any reference to it as a shoe product. Does this cream sound like a good thing to use on your shoes?
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/sea-buckthorn-oil/profile - here is the oil's property. I'd certainly give a try on the cream, if I can get my hands into 'em.

Last edited:

rjonea

Reaction score
Lexol ph-balanced leather cleaner and lexol "1008" leather conditioner on their way and should be in my hands be the end of the day. It should be a productive shoe care weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads