• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i cannot offer a theory, just practical experience. ask yourself, why wouldn't they need care? it keeps them pliable for the comfort and resistant to the surface you walk on. why do you treat the uppers? you could get away without. would it be clever?

But you don't want the soles to get wet. When the soles get damp and pliable they can pick up stones/pebbles etc. which can really scuff/damage the soles.

exactly, that's why i treat them. picking up stones is not an issue and no it doesn't scuff and damage them.

Wouldn't conditioning the soles make them soft and pliable, instead of hard?

take it as it is - ideally - pliable is referring to the flexing while walking. the part of the sole which touches the ground is hard. think of toasted bread.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

exactly, that's why i treat them. picking up stones is not an issue and no it doesn't scuff and damage them.
take it as it is - ideally - pliable is referring to the flexing while walking. the part of the sole which touches the ground is hard. think of toasted bread.

Or brittle old people bones.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It also keeps them from literally cracking, which can happen if they are exposed routinely to water. It has happened to me. I wouldn't think you need to do it as routinely as regular care, but if you are walking in the rain after letting them dry for a day rubbing them down with Lexol sure can only help them.

rule of thumb, i do it once a month with the shoes in the current rotation and every three months on the stored ones. it works.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure where to ask, but do you carry shoe trees with you when you are on vacation?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. But usually only one non lasted pair. I put them in whatever shoe I am taking off for the night. After 24 hours the tree is removed and put into that day's shoe.

I usually travel with 2-4 pairs of shoes and I don't want to make room for that many trees. I stuff the shoes with socks and underwear when in the suitcase.

If you need to buff the shoes while on the road turn the shoe bag inside out and use that.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good shine but I don't like such a high shine all over a pair of boots/shoes.  It's just me.  Maintaining that shine will be fairly time consuming without a weekly coating habit..

That top image is a bit deceiving. There's actually a pretty clear line of demarcation between the mirror toe and rest of the upper. The image was taken in bright daylight and a bit overexposed. The raised section looks like its mirror shined but the rest of the upper looks much like the leather adjacent to the elastic gore. I try to achieve a mirror on the toe (only) of most of my dress shoes, like these AE bluchers:

It is surprising to me that my RMW's maintain that mirror toe for quite some time with just maintenance brushing after each wear. When it dulls, I thought I'd get cracking or an awful look where the boot creases. I found the opposite. It just dulls slowly to a matte finish. Maintaining the toe is considerably easier than achieving it for the first time.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That top image is a bit deceiving.

no worries and no offense.

i like neither mirror shined toes nor totally mirror shined shoes/boots. they just don't attract me. certainly, i'm not bothered by them at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads