• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is it possible to clean the welts on my Alden 403's?
I tried searching this thread and may have missed it.
Thanks in advance.

Of course, you can get a welt cleaning brush. I dab some renovateur on it and brush away. Let it dry a bit and then buff briskly with a regular brush.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glenjay,
I don't know if I ever told you this, but I learned to spit shine in the Army Airborne as well...however it was a little before your time (in the 60's).
I spit shine with cotton flannel if I can get it. I never dip the cloth in water because over the years I have found that if the cloth gets wet (I mean soaked) it will ruin the spit shine. Basically, I "raspberry" the area I'm shining...distributing tiny droplets (probably around 1 mm in diameter)of spit (as in "spit shine") on the surface...and about every third or fifth time, I just breathe heavily on it. I also learned from an MP that, especially for a quick renewal of a spit shine, nothing works better than flat stretching a section of a woman's nylon between your hands and fast light buffing.

Aye and that is spot on IMO. But instead of stretching the hose I cut the foot end of the stocking off and put it over my hand being careful not to have a seam facing the shoe. A couple of minutes of fast and furious burnishing will have them glowing but only after they basically have a perfect shine to start with. Besides renewal of the shine I also finish all of my spit shines that way. After 20 years of polishing my boots and shoes in the Navy found that to be the most effective for me anyhow.

Except for my AE Sheltons and black calfskin Leeds I use cream on most of my shoes and then brush them out and have come to appreciate the lack of a really high gloss shine. Still takes some work to make them glow (reflect light) without the shinny mirror look but I'm starting to like it better on some leathers. A lot of great info on this thread.

DAASL

Reaction score
Guinness?

Yes but water just isn't as much fun as spirits.
So, since I used bourbon while polishing brown shoes, shall I use vodka or something lighter when polishing tan shoes?
And then there is black, I can't think of anything to use for black as all of the really dark spirit concoctions seem to be quite sugary, which will not do...................this might require extensive research!
biggrin.gif

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guinness?

Well, far be it from me to rain on your parade. Sure give it a try! But I have to tell you I expect the alcohol to sugars ratio will be too low and you might not be happy with the result. But, again I've not tried it - so don't let me stop you!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good shine but I don't like such a high shine all over a pair of boots/shoes.  It's just me.  Maintaining that shine will be fairly time consuming without a weekly coating habit..

+1

__PG__

Reaction score
In this video from the Crockett and Jones website , they recommend conditioning the soles. Can some of the experts explain the theory behind why this is a good idea?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In this video from the Crockett and Jones website , they recommend conditioning the soles. Can some of the experts explain the theory behind why this is a good idea?

i cannot offer a theory, just practical experience. ask yourself, why wouldn't they need care? it keeps them pliable for the comfort and resistant to the surface you walk on. why do you treat the uppers? you could get away without. would it be clever?

__PG__

Reaction score

i cannot offer a theory, just practical experience. ask yourself, why wouldn't they need care? it keeps them pliable for the comfort and resistant to the surface you walk on. why do you treat the uppers? you could get away without. would it be clever?

But you don't want the soles to get wet. When the soles get damp and pliable they can pick up stones/pebbles etc. which can really scuff/damage the soles.

Wouldn't conditioning the soles make them soft and pliable, instead of hard?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conditioning the soles also helps them resist moisture absorbtion, which is a big plus.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Conditioning the soles also helps them resist moisture absorbtion, which is a big plus.

It also keeps them from literally cracking, which can happen if they are exposed routinely to water. It has happened to me. I wouldn't think you need to do it as routinely as regular care, but if you are walking in the rain after letting them dry for a day rubbing them down with Lexol sure can only help them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads